English Consortium

gazmc83

Takeover talks cancelled.

Apparently Gilmour has discovered one of the consortium has a fraud conviction.

http://asia.eurosport.com/football/st-mirren-takeover-talks-cancelled_sto4539165/story.shtml

Wonder if SGs opening gambit at these initial meetings actually is 'Youse urnae even Smurrrn fans, so whit' the fcuk are youse sniffin' aboot here fur?'

Edited by pozbaird

Here's what the fraudster got up to:-

A FRAUDSTER boasting Caribbean connections posed as a £1m buyer to help a Tyneside hotel boss keep his creditors at bay.

Thavar Mohammed said he was purchasing the Hotel Michelangelo in Blaydon, where owner Paolo Pieri was fighting bankruptcy and debt.

Sharp-suited Mohammed claimed he was representing a firm with the funds to seal the £1.4m deal.

Contracts were drawn up after he produced documents showing another of his alleged companies – Private Capital Bank – had the money to pay the £600,000 deposit from its base in the Dominican Republic.

But Mohammed was running an intricate fraud to help his friend Mr Pieri stay afloat, Newcastle Crown Court heard.

And now 48-year-old Mohammed from Edgehill on Ponteland’s Darras Hall estate is behind bars for his part in the failed deception.

“It is clear one way or another you were intent on assisting Mr Pieri in what was a thoroughly dishonest enterprise,” Judge John Evans told him. “You were not hoodwinking Mr Pieri. What you were doing was contributing to the hoodwinking of his creditors and that is simply unacceptable.”

Mohammed was arrested in July 2009 after an investigation was launched by Northumbria Police’s Economic Crime unit.

Officers from the unit carried out searches at homes and businesses, with support from the Total Policing Task Force.

Judge Evans added: “It was a sophisticated fraud, the documents went way beyond what you normally encounter in cases like this, and the whole thing was a complete sham.”

Mohammed, who has a string of similar previous convictions, was given a six-month prison sentence after admitting fraud and having an article for use in relation to fraud dating back to the phoney deal in 2008.

Mr Pieri was finally made the subject of a bankruptcy order in August of that year once Mohammed’s con was exposed.

But the court heard he is still running the hotel and trading there, a situation Judge Evans described as “alarming”.

The fraud was uncovered when a solicitor became wary about the supposed purchase and, despite being under pressure to complete the deal, contacted police.

By then Mohammed, claiming to represent bona fide buyers from a firm called Khana Peena Ltd, had agreed a £1.4m price for the impressive hotel and presented the authentic looking documents showing cash in a Caribbean bank account.

“Analysis from the defendant’s computer showed correspondence between him and another man,” said James Adkin, prosecuting. “It is a fairly murky aspect of the case, that man has not been traced and it is thought he is not in the UK.”

The documents that shady contact had sent Mohammed by email were blank with a decrypting programme to allow figures to be added, making them much more than a “simple cut and paste job”, Mr Adkin said.

Richard Bloomfield, defending, said diabetic Mohammed had never stood to make a penny from the charade – the aim was that Mr Pieri would be able to borrow again, pay off his creditors, and stave off the bankruptcy petition, Mr Bloomfield added.

“Clearly, the defendant was trying to help Mr Pieri,” he told the court.

“The gain for him was simply that he helped a friend.

“He didn’t receive anything and fortunately it didn’t cause loss to anybody else.”

Det Sgt Andy Gimza, of the Economic Crime Unit, welcomed the sentence, and warned other organised criminals that even the most sophisticated frauds can be detected.

“By communicating effectively with partners and other law enforcement agencies, such as Interpol, and by using suitable IT available, we can ensure that complex, overseas inquiries are not a barrier to successful prosecution,” he said.

“This sentence illustrates that organised crime of this nature will not be tolerated and will be firmly dealt with by Northumbria Police in order to protect local business and professionals.”

I guess, once again, we have to accept that the BoD, despite their mistakes with TC and the time taken over a replacement, do still have the interests of the club at heart and we as supporters have to be careful what we wish for. I wonder if there is room for negotiation with the bidders with Mr Mohammed removed from the bid??

As usual, we the fans, have been left in the dark, although that is maybe understandable given the confidential nature of the negotiations. It's obviously too soon to judge the merits of the offer because there are too many unknowns at present.

One thing I would agree with is that St Mirren has the potential to do a lot better than under the present regime and to attract much larger crowds than they currently do - if they had a winning team on the park - for example like Hamilton Accies. Is that level of sustained success beyond us? If we had access to similar financial resources of say Dundee United we should be able to compete with them (and the likes of Aberdeen). Instead of that we find ourselves, in the largest town in Scotland, struggling to keep up with the likes of Ross County and ICT.

The only problem with putting a successful team on the pitch is that New St Mirren Park would hardly be big enough to accommodate the fans who would want to come along!

This was posted before the fraud issue became known - so it is a case of dream on - into the league below.

Edited by northstbuddie

So it was too good to be true after all?

Now there's a surprise.

Anyway, fair play to the BoD for doing their homework, but can they please now get on with running the f**king club.

Edited by Drew

A FRAUDSTER boasting Caribbean connections posed as a £1m buyer to help a Tyneside hotel boss keep his creditors at bay.

Thavar Mohammed said he was purchasing the Hotel Michelangelo in Blaydon, where owner Paolo Pieri was fighting bankruptcy and debt.

Sharp-suited Mohammed claimed he was representing a firm with the funds to seal the £1.4m deal.

Contracts were drawn up after he produced documents showing another of his alleged companies – Private Capital Bank – had the money to pay the £600,000 deposit from its base in the Dominican Republic.

But Mohammed was running an intricate fraud to help his friend Mr Pieri stay afloat, Newcastle Crown Court heard.

And now 48-year-old Mohammed from Edgehill on Ponteland’s Darras Hall estate is behind bars for his part in the failed deception.

“It is clear one way or another you were intent on assisting Mr Pieri in what was a thoroughly dishonest enterprise,” Judge John Evans told him. “You were not hoodwinking Mr Pieri. What you were doing was contributing to the hoodwinking of his creditors and that is simply unacceptable.”

Mohammed was arrested in July 2009 after an investigation was launched by Northumbria Police’s Economic Crime unit.

Officers from the unit carried out searches at homes and businesses, with support from the Total Policing Task Force.

Judge Evans added: “It was a sophisticated fraud, the documents went way beyond what you normally encounter in cases like this, and the whole thing was a complete sham.”

Mohammed, who has a string of similar previous convictions, was given a six-month prison sentence after admitting fraud and having an article for use in relation to fraud dating back to the phoney deal in 2008.

Mr Pieri was finally made the subject of a bankruptcy order in August of that year once Mohammed’s con was exposed.

But the court heard he is still running the hotel and trading there, a situation Judge Evans described as “alarming”.

The fraud was uncovered when a solicitor became wary about the supposed purchase and, despite being under pressure to complete the deal, contacted police.

By then Mohammed, claiming to represent bona fide buyers from a firm called Khana Peena Ltd, had agreed a £1.4m price for the impressive hotel and presented the authentic looking documents showing cash in a Caribbean bank account.

“Analysis from the defendant’s computer showed correspondence between him and another man,” said James Adkin, prosecuting. “It is a fairly murky aspect of the case, that man has not been traced and it is thought he is not in the UK.”

The documents that shady contact had sent Mohammed by email were blank with a decrypting programme to allow figures to be added, making them much more than a “simple cut and paste job”, Mr Adkin said.

Richard Bloomfield, defending, said diabetic Mohammed had never stood to make a penny from the charade – the aim was that Mr Pieri would be able to borrow again, pay off his creditors, and stave off the bankruptcy petition, Mr Bloomfield added.

“He didn’t receive anything and fortunately it didn’t cause loss to anybody else.”

Det Sgt Andy Gimza, of the Economic Crime Unit, welcomed the sentence, and warned other organised criminals that even the most sophisticated frauds can be detected.

“By communicating effectively with partners and other law enforcement agencies, such as Interpol, and by using suitable IT available, we can ensure that complex, overseas inquiries are not a barrier to successful prosecution,” he said.

“This sentence illustrates that organised crime of this nature will not be tolerated and will be firmly dealt with by Northumbria Police in order to protect local business and professionals.”

I guess, once again, we have to accept that the BoD, despite their mistakes with TC and the time taken over a replacement, do still have the interests of the club at heart and we as supporters have to be careful what we wish for. I wonder if there is room for negotiation with the bidders with Mr Mohammed removed from the bid??

Bullet dodged!

As usual, we the fans, have been left in the dark, although that is maybe understandable given the confidential nature of the negotiations. It's obviously too soon to judge the merits of the offer because there are too many unknowns at present.

One thing I would agree with is that St Mirren has the potential to do a lot better than under the present regime and to attract much larger crowds than they currently do - if they had a winning team on the park - for example like Hamilton Accies. Is that level of sustained success beyond us? If we had access to similar financial resources of say Dundee United we should be able to compete with them (and the likes of Aberdeen). Instead of that we find ourselves, in the largest town in Scotland, struggling to keep up with the likes of Ross County and ICT.

The only problem with putting a successful team on the pitch is that New St Mirren Park would hardly be big enough to accommodate the fans who would want to come along!

Yeah, doesn't mean the rest of the guys involved are shady. I wonder if he was one of the guys who would have been a single major investor in the group, or if he was just an associate/advisor.

It sounded bloody exciting whule it lasted and gutted nothing has now happened.

On the plus side, its pretty evident that no sale will go through in january, most likely that teale will get the gig till at least end of season and any clarification on signings will now be clearer.

I wonder if there is room for negotiation with the bidders with Mr Mohammed removed from the bid??

No there shouldn't be. The buying consortium have either knowingly hidden this or are incompetent.

Either way they are finished - or should be - as regards buying our club.

I doubt it, He's probably even conned them.

On another thread "The Board Don't Care Anymore"

Well yes they do as not selling proves.

Always remember a good salesman telling me if it sounds to good to be true then you can be sure it is. European football , Premiership stars.

Was hoping this was a late present from Santa obviously not. I'm still happy we have St Mirren people looking after the club.

It said in the original report that that "the deal had hit a snag at the 11th hour, but they were confident a deal would still go through in the near future".

Could this be the "snag"????

Conman being a snag ? Would be a wee bit more than a snag in my book you won't hear any more of this takeover.

Conman being a snag ? Would be a wee bit more than a snag in my book you won't hear any more of this takeover.

I'm just quoting the paper and also speculating that this could be what they were talking about.

I don't think this will be the end of it.

I just find it hard to believe they managed to get to the stage of being in "advanced negotiations", which probably took weeks, if not months and only done a check on this guy right at the end.

After all, I just typed the guys name into Google and his fraud case was the first thing that came up.

http://www.thejournal.co.uk/news/north-east-news/friend-helped-blaydon-hotel-boss-4439370

Edited by Tony Fitzy

Yeah, doesn't mean the rest of the guys involved are shady. I wonder if he was one of the guys who would have been a single major investor in the group, or if he was just an associate/advisor.

It sounded bloody exciting whule it lasted and gutted nothing has now happened.

On the plus side, its pretty evident that no sale will go through in january, most likely that teale will get the gig till at least end of season and any clarification on signings will now be clearer.

FFS!

Have a lie down and sober up.

Gutted ur you.

Give me f**king strength.

Once they pay for the consortium's shares, where is the additional budget coming from to fund all these additional back room staff???

The club runs at a loss even on its current shoestring approach to back room staff. to convince me i would need to know how this is all to be funded, because as sure as eggs are eggs the current revenue streams won,t support it.

Didnt take long to torpedo that U- Boat!

One little scratch on the surface and as usual when it looks to good to be true, it was and then some.

To say some of our followers are gullible is a feckin understatement... That said if any if the welcoming committee for this most recent bunch of shysters wants some financial advice i am actually an african prince with a vast fortune and countless ex premier league stars languishing in my country's national bank. Just send me £250 to prove you are each genuine and i will share my fortunes with you. And my countless ex top club coaches, directors of football and amy type of player that floats your boat.

Guest TPAFKATS

Knicker wetting and hand wringing all round with regards the sale of the club.

The 52% will sell as soon as they get offered the right deal. What criteria actually constitutes the right deal is broadening by the week, year, month.

No point in stressing about it, any views we have are irrelevant.

Meh...

Knicker wetting and hand wringing all round with regards the sale of the club.

The 52% will sell as soon as they get offered the right deal. What criteria actually constitutes the right deal is broadening by the week, year, month.

No point in stressing about it, any views we have are irrelevant.

Meh...

One detail - we reckon it is now the 75%. That does make a significant difference.

The last paragraph of the Evening Times version of the story is rather alarming: http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/sport/spfl/english-group-confident-of-completing-st-mirren-takeover-193731n.115728075

"I know the Gretna thing failed at the end, but if you look at the type of player they pulled in at the start and what they achieved - the guys think they can do that but a lot more sensibly. You've got to be looking at qualifying for European football in the next couple of years."

See post # 21......whistling.gif

FFS!

Have a lie down and sober up.

Gutted ur you.

Give me f**king strength.

Shull, not everyone has the same opinions as you in terms of who you want in charge of the club. We are a professional football club and sometimes i feel your views are almost Junior football level in terms of where you want us to be playing.

The only thing that satisfies you at the moment is the free beans with your pie at the games.