Ched Evans

billymehmet1

Why?

Is it general nonsense? Nope.

Other football? We're not discussing his attempted signing for other clubs.

Rumour mill? It's not a rumour.

General St Mirren Discussion? We're discussing if we would support a movement for St Mirren to sign the convicted rapist Ched Evens.

Seems like a good place for me?

Some people need to lighten the f**k up. If you feel a topic is in the wrong sub forum is really going to bother you that much? So much that you've made 27 posts in total, don't contribute to the debate and then just moan about what sub forum it's in.

Jeezo.

Thank you David and appreciate that your opinion is different to mine.

I wasn't moaning about the topic, nor was I contributing to the debate. I merely expressed an opinion that it was my opinion that it was on the wrong discussion board!

I will, as you say, "lighten the f**k up" and make me meagre 28th post my last.

He committed a crime. Was deemed fit enough for release by the Prison Services and can now start to contribute to society again.

Wrong. He has NOT been released. He's out on licence. He has an appeal ongoing.

It could well go wrong for him.

He can contribute in some way AFTER he is redeemed and genuinely free.

We are in the market for a striker thought if put it out there to feel what our support would make if him signing for our club.

If I had started this thread, here's all I would have posted. I would have dispensed with the part that followed it, which people can go back and read on Page 1 - and the debate would have naturally followed anyway. I have no idea why the OP didn't just leave it at the first paragraph, but there you go.

In answer to the actual question - if St Mirren signed him, what would I think? I would think 'the BoD have finally lost their sanity. If I were on the BoD of St Mirren, trying to sell the club with no joy after five years, possibly one of the last things I would do would be to sign a convicted rapist.

If the question is to hypothetically consider a situation where St Mirren actually had signed Ched Evans, and how would I feel, then I would feel pretty disgusted to be fair. I simply couldn't imagine, as an example, wearing a St Mirren shirt in public. The shame that already exists in publicly wearing this season's pirate costume would pale into insignificance as you encountered the inevitable 'signed a rapist, eh?' stuff from punters on the street.

I would not be comfortable with it at all. Same goes for a player who has killed someone. This frankly, is not Gowser booting a bobby on the shins.

I appreciate the argument that Evans has the right to pursue gainful employment, and seeing as how he is a footballer, that's what he wants to do. Fair enough - let someone else sign him. Harsh? Don't really care, that's my view.

Rape is a terrible thing. But I genuinely believe. The sort if rape Evans had been convicted for could see thousands of men convicted. He got the same amount of jail sentence a guy that hides sbd jumps out on a girl rapes a girl in say a park. That to me is rape.

Like McCormick killed 2 people Abd is now captain of a league two club lee Hughes killed someone Abd is playing again. Ok the girl is serving a life sentence her self but to actualy kill someone. Is far worse crime

5 pages and this post actually had me shaking my head in disbelief - 'the sort of rape' FECKIN SERIOUSLY??? Rape is rape!!!

My view on Evans - copy and past from a FB status I made the other day -

Ched Evans - atm he is a convicted rapist - should he be allowed to return to professional football - well that is his job though there are lots of jobs a convicted rapist wouldn't be able to return to - should this be included in those? It's a hard one as it's not his fault young fans look up to him and as I said it is his job and equally not his fault that it is a high profile job. As for why should he be allowed to make tons of money - but are there convicted rapists who return to non-public high paying jobs??? The most frustrating thing for me in all this is the opinions of some that 'he done his time' NO he didn't, BUT that is the system, the system should be dishing out longer sentences for this crime, 'we all make bad decisions' raping someone is NOT a bad decision - buying leather trousers - that's a bad decision! 'we all make mistakes' AGAIN raping someone is NOT a mistake it is a horrific act that can physically and/or mentally scar someone for life.

Would I welcome him at the club - as a convicted rapist NO NO NO NO NO.

Interestingly up until today he had shown no remorse, no apologies to the girl - but then claiming innocence he wouldn't so that is fair enough but today in a statement from the PFA he said "I do remain limited at present by what I can say due to the ongoing referral to the Criminal Cases Review Commission and whilst I continue to maintain my innocence, I wish to make it clear that I wholeheartedly apologise for the effects that night in Rhyl has had on many people, not least the woman concerned'. Now he is still maintaing his innocence but apologising - WHY??? If he is innocent then she deserves no apology I do not understand this - is it a 'oh feck another deal has fell through maybe I should show some remorse' type comment?

Would I accept him at our club - as a convicted rapist - NO NO NO NO NO

Simply should not be allowed to take any job where he can be regarded as a role model, and also be seen to be unaffected by his crime, there are other criminals like him out there who would see him being unaffected, and may consider the risk of commiting heinous crimes like his is not too bad, the world is full of nutters like him and they need to be seen to be punished by losing their idyllic lifestyle.

My opinion

read this thread and listened to many many more on tv and radio

and it seems that the general opinion on all media's is that he should NOT return to football as a platform of work

( high profile job being the most reasons)...more like highly paid job.....and the b@stard doesnt deserve it....me thinks thats a gripe with a lot of people (not just in this forum)

SO..what should he do for employment???

hmmm well...lets for the record say this first..A RAPIST IS A RAPIST IS A RAPIST(charged as such and convicted...until the "appeal"

So..where does he work?..because thats what the BIG question is here...WHERE DOES HE WORK?

as i mentioned before i listened to many debates and it seems all the guy has left is unemployment

now we all know thats not right..he has got to work some where..and going by some of the debates all the guy has left is stacking shelves in a supermarket (not a derogatory job at all i might add)

but here is the thing....as a footballer he plied his trade between the white lines of a football pitch..100% surrounded by men apart from the one female lineswoman...but anyway..at his work he had absolutely NO CHANCE of "repeat offending"..he was actually working in a controlled environment

BUT,i hear you ask/say...what about going to pubs clubs at night as a high profile footballer???

well....does anyone think he is going to be one for the ladies now as he is a high profile "CONVICTED RAPIST"

BECAUSE DONT FORGET...a rapist is a rapist is a rapist

or he could get a job in a super market stacking shelves surrounded by female shelf stackers and female shoppers walking around aimlessly....so yeah..give the rapist a job among women...give him the platform to repeat offend during his work hours and even then he can still go out at night and do his thing too

so its a prison warden at the BAR-L for him then ( i jest)

do i want him at my club...No..why?...because as a convicted rapist he can stalk the pubs of paisley looking for his next victim...and i dont wish that on any family...(even thou he is now a marked man)

and that will stay with him forever ...unless he wins his appeal

so the question is...should he get a job back in football......probably safer

saintargyll you make an interesting point BUT if he was to reoffend (assuming atm he is guilty) he would no matter where he was working, If he is at risk of reoffending (which I am assuming it is thought not hence the not doing the full sentence) where he works won't make a difference. It is a difficult one it really is - him remaining in football that is. As for playing at our club - NAW JUST NAW

Wrong. He has NOT been released. He's out on licence. He has an appeal ongoing.

It could well go wrong for him.

He can contribute in some way AFTER he is redeemed and genuinely free.

Does that mean he could only be signed for the length of the prison transfer window ?

My opinion

and it seems that the general opinion on all media's is that he should NOT return to football as a platform of work

( high profile job being the most reasons)...more like highly paid job.....and the b@stard doesnt deserve it....me thinks thats a gripe with a lot of people (not just in this forum)

TBH I couldn't give a shit what he does for employment.

It's not my concern.

My only concern is for the wellbeing of the victim in this and it deeply worries me how few people talk about their sympathy for her .

We're getting wall to wall press coverage about how unfair this is to Ched and barely a words about the effect on her of seeing him back on TV every week.

This is deeply concerning.

The victim is everything in this.

Ched can go f**k himself.

We have 2 million unemployed and apparently about 200,000 who are effectively unemployable.

If his own actions make that 200,001 then why is anyone remotely bothered?

I have to be honest, there is little chance I'd ever employ anyone with a prison record and I certainly never employ a rapist.

I would resign before working alongside someone with that sort of record. You can add those who kill by dangerous driving, murderers and kiddie fiddlers too.

Edited by oaksoft

My opinion

hmmm well...lets for the record say this first..A RAPIST IS A RAPIST IS A RAPIST(charged as such and convicted...until the "appeal"

So..where does he work?..because thats what the BIG question is here...WHERE DOES HE WORK?

as i mentioned before i listened to many debates and it seems all the guy has left is unemployment

now we all know thats not right..he has got to work some where..and going by some of the debates all the guy has left is stacking shelves in a supermarket (not a derogatory job at all i might add)

but here is the thing....as a footballer he plied his trade between the white lines of a football pitch..100% surrounded by men apart from the one female lineswoman...but anyway..at his work he had absolutely NO CHANCE of "repeat offending"..he was actually working in a controlled environment

BUT,i hear you ask/say...what about going to pubs clubs at night as a high profile footballer???

well....does anyone think he is going to be one for the ladies now as he is a high profile "CONVICTED RAPIST"

BECAUSE DONT FORGET...a rapist is a rapist is a rapist

or he could get a job in a super market stacking shelves surrounded by female shelf stackers and female shoppers walking around aimlessly....so yeah..give the rapist a job among women...give him the platform to repeat offend during his work hours and even then he can still go out at night and do his thing too

so its a prison warden at the BAR-L for him then ( i jest)

do i want him at my club...No..why?...because as a convicted rapist he can stalk the pubs of paisley looking for his next victim...and i dont wish that on any family...(even thou he is now a marked man)

and that will stay with him forever ...unless he wins his appeal

so the question is...should he get a job back in football......probably safer

He'll be on the sex offender's register which will mean some jobs will more or less be ruled out for him. You can't imagine, for instance, it would be a good idea for him to work in a pub or nightclub and be around drunk women.

For me, I have to say no, I wouldn't want him at my club. There are no types of rape, there is rape and that is what he has been convicted of. I could not bring myself to support someone who has done this, and I would never again feel that I could brig my daughter with me to the game.

I don't claim to know all the details about the case, but the fact remains he was convicted, and rules him out

Just 10 years ago in Scottish Football a convicted paedophile was appointed first team manager of Hearts. There was a flutter of interest, very little outrage and I know that whilst I didn't pay admission to go watch matches at Tynecastle while he was in charge there, that many others did and they were happy to hand over money to that club. Those who did speak out against the paedophiles appointment as successor to George Burley were branded hypocrites by Wallace Mercer. That convicted paedophile was Graham Rix. In 1999 he was convicted to 12 months in prison for having sex with a 15 year old and placed on the sex offenders list for 10 years. The FA banned him from ever working with anyone under the age of 16 yet today Graham Rix is still employed in football as manager of AFC Portchester - a club that has 36 youth teams with players aged from U7's to U18's. Why is there no media storm about this?

To my mind any club that would wish to sign Ched Evans will have to weigh up any benefit he would bring to the club, against the huge, obvious downside that he would bring whether that comes in the form of negative PR, lost custom, loss of sponsorship and advertising revenue or in some other way. I personally would never pay money to watch Ched Evans play. Others out there will take a less principled stance and would pay to watch St Mirren and would offer their complete support no matter who is pulling on the black and white shirt. It's a business decision to be made by those in the business of running a football club and both Sheffield United and Oldham dropped their interest in Evans, rightly IMO, only after it became apparent that many of each of the clubs sponsors threatened to pull their business.