Ched Evans

billymehmet1

Its a real difficult one Sharon.Today we may see Goodwillie play against us.Now the taxi driver in his case said that the girl was so out of it there was no way she could have consented to sex.That in my book is rape.The fact the young woman comes across as extremely balanced and continues to fight through the civil courts for justice points toward her feelings that she was wronged and wont let it go.On the other hand Ched Evans continues to plead his innocence and the woman in questions version of accounts are not what i would call creditable.I dont know if this guys guilty or not but he just might have been convicted and served the time for a crime he did not commit.Only 2 people know the truth unfortunately and maybe a lie detector test would be welcomed in this case.

Broony I am not commenting on whether he is guilty or not or comparing cases I am simply discussing him atm being a convicted rapist and whether I would be ok with a convicted rapist at my club. People are wrongly accused and convicted yes, but rape is a hard conviction to get. So basically what I am saying is Evans aside would I want a convicted rapist playing for saints - not on yer feckin life! I also think that some people may have a different view of 'he's done his time' if their lives had in anyway, directly or indirectly, been affected by this crime or if they had sat and spoke to victims perhaps.

From a football point I would sign Ched Evans if he was not in this position we would never be able to afford him! We need a striker who can put the ball in the net! If is conviction is over turned would command a decent transfer fee!

But when talking to the wife about it she said she would not let me take my 2 boys to the game if he was a St.Mirren player!

I have read a bit about the case and have come to this conclusion Whether guilty or innocent what he did that night makes him a very unsavoury character in my books!

Still on the fence if I would sign him?

Interesting read here on the Footy Law site....

http://footylaw.co.uk/2015/01/06/ched-evans-sifting-facts-from-fiction/

A very good read not least because it provides a good legal answer that debunks a lot of the arguments made on the chedevans website.

As I said previously though I'm still scratching my head as to why people are calling for the FA to put rules in place regarding this. It is not their place to do so. It should be far simpler than that. It's a business decision for football chairmen to make. Is hiring Ched Evans really going to be worth it when signing him will so obviously lead to their professional judgement being questioned? Is it going to be worth all the negative PR, the loss of revenue from sponsors not wanting their name branded on pictures of a convicted rapist, and from alienating your team from a reasonably large proportion of your support? Is it going to be worth disrupting the harmony in your dressing room where, just like in any work place, some of your existing employee's become unsettled by a request to accept a convicted rapist into their team?

Interesting read here on the Footy Law site....

http://footylaw.co.uk/2015/01/06/ched-evans-sifting-facts-from-fiction/

I hadn't read that before, Eddy, and in some ways it's quite compelling. It could tip me in some ways to accepting that there is no doubt about Evans' guilt. But still I have a bit of unease. I would say straight off that I don't think I could warm to Mr.Evans in a million years but that's irrelevant. The discussion here started with whether he should be allowed to play football. I suspect that will never reach a court but if it did I can't believe any court in the UK would bar him from taking up his profession again. It seems it's OK to argue about that but not about his guilt.

To just quote part of the Footy Law blog right at the beginning:-

'One of the claims made by Ched Evans supporters is that drunken consent is still consent. AND IT IS. But how does that tie up with a person being too drunk to consent and therefore a victim of rape if intercourse takes place.'

To me that's the nub of the whole sordid case and it is sordid. That statement above implies so many ifs and buts and bearing in mind all three participants had consumed a fair amount of alcohol it's not difficult to believe there's doubt as to just what went on in terms of consent or the lack of it. A few of our guys have queried the efficacy of the question on here, one way or another, 'Is it OK if I carry on and have intercourse with you?' ( There are other ways to couch that question. I'll leave them to the imagination.) In my (limited) experience of being in that position, I don't remember the thought having even entered my head. If we follow the argument to its logical conclusion, guys and possibly even gals might soon have to carry around consent forms in case they get lucky!

The whole damn thing is a cluster***k. I don't like the sound of Evans, I wouldn't want him anywhere near Scotland let alone St.Mirren, I'm still a bit uneasy about the guilty verdict but denying him the right to carry on with his chosen profession strikes me as being quite wrong.

Of course you find it strange. You're another one who has read his personal website, only seen a fraction of the evidence and thought it doesn't add up.

Well duh! You've not seen ALL the evidence.

On the other hand a jury of his peers sat through all of the evidence unlike any of us on this forum, and found him guilty.

Beyond all reasonable doubt.

They saw all the evidence you and Dave have posted.

BUT they also saw all the other stuff Ched is NOT posting up and that clearly allowed them to find him guilty.

Where did I say I had read his Website? There are other ways to get the information/ But. Hey ho. That wouldn't enter your insular world. It wouldn't be the first time a "jury of their peers" made an error in judgement. By the way. IF he is posting lies on the internet he could well find himself in more sh!t. I couldn't comment on that as I haven't read it.

It's a stupid phrase repeatedly spurted out by crazed religious nutjobs and should be ignored along with all their other nonsense.

Sin.

FFS!

You mock the word sin? FFS. Call it what you will but it still comes down to deciding if you are fit to be judgemental and whether it is right for you to decide another person's guilt or innocence and the affect it has on their livelhood on the strength of the very limited evidence you yourself blame others using to cite caution and condemn threatening actions

Nice you KNOW he's a rapist...................I hope you enjoyed that night. 1eye.gif

This is such an emotive subject some people, wait for it, jump to conclusions/opinions which is understandable.

It has been mentioned that the night in question was a situation that could/has happened on many a night. This, before the high and mighty jump in, does not justify "unlawful intercourse"............

The facts are not really known but the fact he was convicted does put him in a difficult public position.

The "cliché" that he's "done his time" really comes into serious debate as it seems the "crime" overrides the "normal" circumstances when it's deemed a person has the right to get on with their life.

He's unwilling to admit any remorse as he feels it wasn't rape.......................which is understandable, I would imagine, if you truly feel this wasn't rape.

The public outcry, online "polls", I'd guess, again, fuelled by the same people with the same views, have some credence but I would suggest that if some football club decided to employ him this would slowly disappear, not forgetting the financial implications if sponsors pulled out.

Overall, I feel it's a difficult situation, for both parties, and no one knows what really happened but I honestly believe everyone has the right to continue with life after any court has made a decision.

Please, no more " blah but he's not finished/completed his sentence", he's open to find employment, as any other person is after being released.

I do like posters like you and Oaksoft who post their views in such a way that implies your views are the best and the only ones worthwhile reading.

Welcome back ya bawbag. Did you miss me? wink.pngjerry.gifwub.png

Everyone has an opinion, most of them based on nonsense.

This young lad was convicted of a serious crime and rightly sent to prison. He has now been released (the length of sentence is not a matter for Ched) with his debt to society paid in full. He has every right to be allowed to continue with his life and as such I would fully support him joining ours or any other football club.

Do we not recall that young Hearts player (Craig Thomson I think) who was sending indecent pictures of his trouser snake to children? He was allowed to continue in football even though his victim(s) were children.

We need a striker and a good striker like Ched would be made very welcome by me at least. His sentence served his slate is clean. This young lad need not be punished twice.

One thing I would wonder about f he was to sign for any team would be the constant abuse he would receive from fans and players , if he touched the ball , abuse , if he scores, abuse , if he misses a chance abuse , being wound up by other players . You would think he would struggle to give 100% in a game.

I know I'm getting on a bit, but I'm pretty sure I've never been 'up the duff'. I'll check with the present and former Mrs.McD's just in case I've forgot something.

You another one with spare Wedding Cake in the garage Rick ????? lol.gif

I'm in that Club too......(Tenuous link to Club references earlier in the Thread.)

Everyone has an opinion, most of them based on nonsense.

This young lad was convicted of a serious crime and rightly sent to prison. He has now been released (the length of sentence is not a matter for Ched) with his debt to society paid in full. He has every right to be allowed to continue with his life and as such I would fully support him joining ours or any other football club.

Do we not recall that young Hearts player (Craig Thomson I think) who was sending indecent pictures of his trouser snake to children? He was allowed to continue in football even though his victim(s) were children.

We need a striker and a good striker like Ched would be made very welcome by me at least. His sentence served his slate is clean. This young lad need not be punished twice.

No it's not, he's released on licence.. He can be recalled to serve the remainder of his sentence should he breaks the terms and conditions of his licence. This remains in place until his full 5 years are served although he will remain on the sex offenders list for a further 10 years.

Only the hard of thinking would welcome the clusterf**k that is the convicted rapist Ched Evans to our club.

Funny that some of the people applauding the BoD for shelving the deal with the english consortium because one of the minor players had a four year old, conviction of six months for fraud, are the same people who want a recently released convicted rapist who got four years to run out with the panda club and mascots.

Theres nowt as queer as folk!

the only thing that could make this season worse is signing this beast get him to fcuk horrible cnut I go to the games with my teenage daughter we would not be back while a rapist wore our stripmad.gif

There's more chance of me signing for St.Mirren than Evans.

What that innocent lad Ched, still making his victim's life hell?

Surely not?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-30851909

Sorry. I haven't visited the site cited but could you tell me if you know for certain Evans had anything to do with the content ?

He could have nipped all that in the bud a long time ago if he had wanted to. Guy's a c**t.

Serious question. Would you "nip it in the bud" if you truly believed you had not done the crime but served the time?

I don't profess to know all the details but I have read he firmly believes he is innocent.