Ross County V St Mirren Premiership 17/1/15

shull

I can't see the club appealing that one. It was a soft red but you can't go in with your studs showing these days. The behaviour from some of the RC guys was disappointing (disgraceful in Britton's case) - I hate seeing people trying to influence the ref to get guys sent off.

The 2nd goal was rightly given - it was ball to hand at best. He's diving head long desperate to get his napper onto it. His arm isn't out stretched, his view is blocked by the covering defender and i'll bet you £100 his eyes were shut bag.gif .

I though the red card was soft, defo worthy of a booking but soft red card.

He did catch him, there's no doubt about that but it looked to me as if the clumsiness of the challenge was down to the shove which pushed him off the park and off balance. He then just looked like he stuck the foot out to try and rescue the situation.

Clumsy but no intent to hurt the player IMO and a yellow card.

The Mallandona goal. He did bundle it in with his arm but I'd say he tried to head it and missed.

His hands weren't in an unnatural position or outstretched, accidental and even if the ref did see he hit it in with his arm the goal should stand?

Great 3 points, now bring on the Dundee teams to kick off our home winning run.

A very good point on Mallan's handball.

The goal would have stood if i was a ref as he wasn't looking to gain an advantage

He went for a diving header and was inches out and the ball bundled in

It wasn't like he was like Superman as the Beeb made out going for the ball

I though the red card was soft, defo worthy of a booking but soft red card.

He did catch him, there's no doubt about that but it looked to me as if the clumsiness of the challenge was down to the shove which pushed him off the park and off balance. He then just looked like he stuck the foot out to try and rescue the situation.

Clumsy but no intent to hurt the player IMO and a yellow card.

The Mallandona goal. He did bundle it in with his arm but I'd say he tried to head it and missed.

His hands weren't in an unnatural position or outstretched, accidental and even if the ref did see he hit it in with his arm the goal should stand?

Great 3 points, now bring on the Dundee teams to kick off our home winning run.

Agree entirely on all points David.

Too few players seem willing to launch themselves in with a diving header nowadays. It must be a difficult skill to meet a cross ball (similar to timing a volley) while directing the header and trying to avoid taking a sore one into the bargain. As suggested by David and others, Mallan was clearly trying to meet the ball with his bunnet. Great to see and gives a very clear indication how much he wanted it. Bravo!

A very good point on Mallan's handball.

The goal would have stood if i was a ref as he wasn't looking to gain an advantage

He went for a diving header and was inches out and the ball bundled in

It wasn't like he was like Superman as the Beeb made out going for the ball

I'd love to believe that what you and davidg suggest could be true, but in real world fitba - especially with Scottish referees - I find it impossible to consider a ref would allow a goal that he saw had been diverted goalwards by a hand/arm.

They would be too scared of complaints, protests, reviews. the meedjah... no matter the spirit or intent... if a part of the body deemed illegal was brought into play.

I'd love to believe that what you and davidg suggest could be true, but in real world fitba - especially with Scottish referees - I find it impossible to consider a ref would allow a goal that he saw had been diverted goalwards by a hand/arm.

They would be too scared of complaints, protests, reviews. the meedjah... no matter the spirit or intent... if a part of the body deemed illegal was brought into play.

I don't know we have seen plenty of cases the other way

Players blocking attempts at goals and the ball hitting arms/hands

I take you're point about the media though

Bring back Scotsport

Hey ho. About time we got a break, we wont appeal Arquin , it was a great performance, great spirit. Goodwin was immense as was Mallan, Mclean.

Are we going to do our Houndini act again, I would not bet against it.

COYS

Great performance and fight especially when they equalised late on.

However, I will be shocked if we don't appeal the red card. Never a red card.

Soft red and looks a yellow to me, however it would be interesting to see what ther referee has included in his report relating to the challenge. If he's said that it was a stamp then I reckon it's worthy of an appeal, if he's said that he's gone in studs showing then I reckon that we'll just need to live with it as I don't see it being overturned in that case.

Soft red and looks a yellow to me, however it would be interesting to see what ther referee has included in his report relating to the challenge. If he's said that it was a stamp then I reckon it's worthy of an appeal, if he's said that he's gone in studs showing then I reckon that we'll just need to live with it as I don't see it being overturned in that case.

That's a good point. Hadn't thought about it from the perspective of what the referee's report will say. Presumably it'll just parrot what the 4th official told him, but he is still het for the decision.

Having looked at it twice I can see now why he was sent off.

I'd still consider appealing it though but it looks like a stamp to me.

He definitely does stamp... on the ball.

The RC player kicks the ball away and there's then contact.

Awful red card.

And on a day where Scott Brown gets a cosy wee chat from the ref for kicking an Accies player (and Sportscene don't even bother showing it) it stinks to high heaven.

Only saw the brief highlights on Sportscene but I thought the sending off should have been just a caution, although the winning goal ought to have been disallowed, which balances it out.

I had expected an easier win that it transpired and it wasnt helped that yet again we were reduced to 10 men, as has happened in most of Gary Teales matches in charge ! Incidentally I noticed Gary having a go at the fourth official, pointing in a threatening manner, not a good sign.

I presume out latest signing will be suspended after 25 minutes contribution. Another thing standing out was the Saints centre half, he is absolutely useless ! Must get rid of him at once and sign another. Badly need a centre forward too. I know these are most obvious to fans but why has nothing been done about it ?

Unless minds have already been made up to appoint Gary Teale (which I suspect they have, regardless of 5 defeats in 7 games)there is precious little time to recruit a manager and players before the transfer window ceases.I have nothing against Gary being given a chance, he was a good player before he retired, but I hope in future interviews he relents from saying in every sentence "as i was saying" or "I say". After the last two incoherent managers, please give us someone who can at least sound moderately intelligent.

Awful red card.

And on a day where Scott Brown gets a cosy wee chat from the ref for kicking an Accies player (and Sportscene don't even bother showing it) it stinks to high heaven.

Brown's later yellow card challenge could also easily have been a red. No attempt for the ball, both feet off the ground and obviously endangering the opponent.

Awful red card.

Agreed, saw the Brown foul, really getting fed up with Sportscene, get Thommo back on. Bonnar ad his Tic specs is boring, just worried if we appeal and lose it might affect future appeals, I thought Arquin linked up well, and would have scored if Kenny had squared to him, however I understand why Kenny didn't.

Brown's later yellow card challenge could also easily have been a red. No attempt for the ball, both feet off the ground and obviously endangering the opponent.

Looked also pretty close to last man, but I could be wrong. Not really worth getting pissed off about any more. If it had been Jim Goodwin, straight red for sure. Afraid that's what we are dealing with here.

Only saw the brief highlights on Sportscene but I thought the sending off should have been just a caution, although the winning goal ought to have been disallowed, which balances it out.

I had expected an easier win that it transpired and it wasnt helped that yet again we were reduced to 10 men, as has happened in most of Gary Teales matches in charge ! Incidentally I noticed Gary having a go at the fourth official, pointing in a threatening manner, not a good sign.

I presume out latest signing will be suspended after 25 minutes contribution. Another thing standing out was the Saints centre half, he is absolutely useless ! Must get rid of him at once and sign another. Badly need a centre forward too. I know these are most obvious to fans but why has nothing been done about it ?

Unless minds have already been made up to appoint Gary Teale (which I suspect they have, regardless of 5 defeats in 7 games)there is precious little time to recruit a manager and players before the transfer window ceases.I have nothing against Gary being given a chance, he was a good player before he retired, but I hope in future interviews he relents from saying in every sentence "as i was saying" or "I say". After the last two incoherent managers, please give us someone who can at least sound moderately intelligent.

Must try harder.

On first viewing (and that's really what the ref gets) the red card award looked soft.

You could analyse these things to death and from different angles and come up with different thoughts.......as are being illustrated on this thread.

What I do find interesting is this "foot up, studs showing" justification, especially by tv pundits, for a red being shown

I'd suggest that a footballer's feet are off the ground for a significant part of the time while playing. It's a requirement to walk, run and jump. Indeed, I'm struggling to think of how any tackle could possibly be made without some sort of movement of the foot taking it off the ground having been made!! Is football about to be made into a sport where players shuffle around the park??

For me, the "foot up, studs showing, over-the-ball" perspective was to prevent the high, horizontal lunge-type tackle which had the potential to break legs, ankles and/or severely damage knees, not justification for what seemed like an innocuous tackle by a forward.

If you want to see a high tackle, have a look at the pic being used in the Mallon hand ball incident. The County defender's foot is "high, over the ball, showing studs" and a bit more dangerous looking that Arquin's ever appears

Incidentally I noticed Gary having a go at the fourth official, pointing in a threatening manner, not a good sign.

I don't think its a bad sign at all.

Would you rather our coaching team stood, hands in pockets, and meekly accepted every dubious decision? What we saw was a bit of passion, and I for one welcome that wholeheartedly after Tommy Craig's touchline persona which bordered on indifference.

The game is already over-sanitised. FFS, a player can hardly dare go for a 50/50 ball for fear of a card-happy official taking disproportionate action, and/or an opponent trying to get him sent off - and that's before the trial by Sportscene!

I'm all for a bit of blood and thunder in the game. Sometimes its the only thing to get excited about!

I don't think its a bad sign at all.

Would you rather our coaching team stood, hands in pockets, and meekly accepted every dubious decision? What we saw was a bit of passion, and I for one welcome that wholeheartedly after Tommy Craig's touchline persona which bordered on indifference.

The game is already over-sanitised. FFS, a player can hardly dare go for a 50/50 ball for fear of a card-happy official taking disproportionate action, and/or an opponent trying to get him sent off - and that's before the trial by Sportscene!

I'm all for a bit of blood and thunder in the game. Sometimes its the only thing to get excited about!

For years, we've tried the softly softly, respectful approach and it hasn't got us anywhere. It does no harm to let officials know about bad decisions at times.

Drew's bold text above is exactly it for me. Officials seem to go out of their way to try and keep it 11 v 11 in high profile games, such as the Edinburgh derby, and I bet the forthcoming OF cup semi will be refereed with a extremely light touch. But in some of our games over the past few weeks, it looks like they can't wait to get the yellow and red cards out. How can officials justify referee different games using different methods? (although I am aware that I'm just a thicko football fan who couldn't run an under 5s game!).

I don't think it will be rescinded. Don't think it's ever a sending off, but I still don't think it will be rescinded. Fully expect us to appeal it wether we think it's successful or not. If we don't it's just rolling over and accepting it. It's time club's were allowed to question referees. It's got to be the only job in the world that's so closed to criticism. They're paid almost a grand a game and it's not even a full time job. Christ these guys get paid more than half our squad and probably a few other squads. Time for hem to be held accountable!

Having watched through Sportscene microscope think the sending off is very harsh and goal is not deliberate, but still handball.

We would be raging if it was against us. Swings and roundabouts

Noticed they never put the microphone on the ball for McLeans " goal " against Motherwell , or try and use it on the Aerquin sending off , when it looked like Arrquin may have played the ball .

Perhaps , St Mirren as a team , should start this play acting lark , and try to get others sent off.