Deal To Sell To Argentinian Consortium Agreed

div

If you consider for a moment how what we are being drip fed will play out perhaps playing the long game will reward the fan/community ownership aspiration shared by so many.

As far as we know the Argentine business model of swamping the club with a selection of various degrees from piss poor - to competent young Argentine footballers has one absolute certainty! That being not if it crashes to the ground a horrible messy burning wreck of a cockamamie idea....

But rather when?

If by then (i give it one season absolute tops) we have a solid Smisa whose members number around at least our current home gate average. Then we could be in a post administration/liquidation position to buy the club for a nominal amount and set out on the journey back through the leagues with a great young side maturing along the way!

Ffs look at Hearts, they are flying, they cut out the old pros like Sutton and Stevenson and actually built a team and club that thrives on what it can produce itself. And they haven't done a season yet! When promoted how far up the premier league do you think they could rise? I cant see many teams that will be able to stop them, much like Accies this season. Perhaps its time we cleansed our club of the players, coaches, managers, directors and attitudes that go with bringing in old so and so on loan or free transfer because i quote "they COULD do a job for us"

This may be our opportunity to rise like the Phoenix from those Argie flames as a club reborn. I ask in all seriousness who wouldn't swap the dire fair, results and atmosphere surrounding the club at present, for one that we have all bought into that sees a proud young team and back-room set up tearing up the leagues.

It will need an auld heid as director of football to mentor a young new manager (i'd give Thommo a go)' but not a collection of assistant coaches who got the job just because they were the most senior players. What Hearts are doing should inspire us, ffs they are even achieving it with Levein!

The selling consortium want a sum of money we all know the club really is not worth given what it generates at present and what its commitments are. But if as a strong Smisa we take it out of admin/liquidation..? Who says what we can or can't achieve...

A final thought to contemplate as the River Plate mob settle in for the inevitable stormy ride. Why do you think invariably the appointed administrators/liquidators at crisis clubs sell to organised supporters groups..?

Simples! Thats the main revenue stream, and all the businesses customers. If they are properly organised its a no brainer to make them the preferred bidder.

What do you expect SMISA to be doing at the moment?

I've posted on that subject on numerous occasions over the past week or so. I certainly don't expect the sort of comments you'd get from Rangers groups.

They seem to have resigned themselves to fan control not happening, as opposed to a call to arms or any sort of organised attempt to actually take the club on. I know a number of members, so don't want to start launching off at the group, but they should be more active now and should have been more supportive of 10000 Hours.

So you think that these ideas would only come from someone who's jaked? These are your core values. Lol

You're making the point that new non Saints owners are bringing those ideas in. I widnae believe them.

Anyway they are marvellous ideas but only if the other 39 Clubs implement them.

Now sober up Sir Jakey.

A thought about the 'River Plate Mob'...

...and your interesting suggestion...

Such a takeover of a club has so far been without exception something that has saddled the taken-over club with huge debts.

Having no clue yet how huge such debts might be, I fear SMISA's deep pockets will not be deep enough.

And St Mirren are not the favoured deid club. Its new version of itself may not be treated with the same measure of carelessness by the SFA. It may be decades, if ever, before a Paisley Phoenix (no pun itended) arises.

I joined SMiSA this morning. it took me less than a minute to do so.

If you signed up for 10000Hours then you already have a GoCardless account and will be able to do the same.

Membership costs from just £2 a month.

A strong supporters trust is going to be important if the club is moving into unknown territory, which it appears to be.

And if you dont' like what SMiSA are doing, then join, and volunteer to join the committee and help effect change from the inside.

As have I funnily enough.

A thought about the 'River Plate Mob'...

...and your interesting suggestion...

Such a takeover of a club has so far been without exception something that has saddled the taken-over club with huge debts.

Having no clue yet how huge such debts might be, I fear SMISA's deep pockets will not be deep enough.

And St Mirren are not the favoured deid club. Its new version of itself may not be treated with the same measure of carelessness by the SFA. It may be decades, if ever, before a Paisley Phoenix (no pun itended) arises.

Eh! What debts did sevco take on?

Other than the perverse footballing debt commitment... None!

Look at Hearts... They didnt take on the previous regimes debt, and actually made a 900k profit in administration. The one thing that Smisa must ballot its members on is an agreement to NOT fund in any way the incoming buyers. Save the money, build up the subs ready to step in with a comprehensive, tried and tested business model to take the club forward.

The SFA/SPFL will be falling over themselves as they have done fir sevco and hearts to keep a senior club in the leagues.... If! It has an organised and mobilised ownership that wants to do it the right way !

If you consider for a moment how what we are being drip fed will play out perhaps playing the long game will reward the fan/community ownership aspiration shared by so many.

As far as we know the Argentine business model of swamping the club with a selection of various degrees from piss poor - to competent young Argentine footballers has one absolute certainty! That being not if it crashes to the ground a horrible messy burning wreck of a cockamamie idea....

But rather when?

If by then (i give it one season absolute tops) we have a solid Smisa whose members number around at least our current home gate average. Then we could be in a post administration/liquidation position to buy the club for a nominal amount and set out on the journey back through the leagues with a great young side maturing along the way!

Ffs look at Hearts, they are flying, they cut out the old pros like Sutton and Stevenson and actually built a team and club that thrives on what it can produce itself. And they haven't done a season yet! When promoted how far up the premier league do you think they could rise? I cant see many teams that will be able to stop them, much like Accies this season. Perhaps its time we cleansed our club of the players, coaches, managers, directors and attitudes that go with bringing in old so and so on loan or free transfer because i quote "they COULD do a job for us"

This may be our opportunity to rise like the Phoenix from those Argie flames as a club reborn. I ask in all seriousness who wouldn't swap the dire fair, results and atmosphere surrounding the club at present, for one that we have all bought into that sees a proud young team and back-room set up tearing up the leagues.

It will need an auld heid as director of football to mentor a young new manager (i'd give Thommo a go)' but not a collection of assistant coaches who got the job just because they were the most senior players. What Hearts are doing should inspire us, ffs they are even achieving it with Levein!

The selling consortium want a sum of money we all know the club really is not worth given what it generates at present and what its commitments are. But if as a strong Smisa we take it out of admin/liquidation..? Who says what we can or can't achieve...

A final thought to contemplate as the River Plate mob settle in for the inevitable stormy ride. Why do you think invariably the appointed administrators/liquidators at crisis clubs sell to organised supporters groups..?

Simples! Thats the main revenue stream, and all the businesses customers. If they are properly organised its a no brainer to make them the preferred bidder.

Funnily enough, I was just thinking the other day that I wouldn't balk at the idea of dropping a division (or maybe even a couple) if that was the consequence of securing a viable fan ownership model. Indeed, I think it might just be a preferable scenario to one which sees the club under the control of a group of people with no affinity to the club or the town, and possibly dubious credentials into the bargain.

Does SMiSA have the leadership to get us to such a place - either now or in the future - who knows, but the alternatives don't fill me with hope and confidence.

So.. you agree - they DID take on debts. And they have been substantial. Could only pay those off due to 40,000 bigots turning up to follow the fight "back to their rightful place"...

And they were allowed to start - via the mystical five-way agreement in div 4. No guarantee that Saints can do any of that.

Look at Hearts... They didnt take on the previous regimes debt, and actually made a 900k profit in administration. The one thing that Smisa must ballot its members on is an agreement to NOT fund in any way the incoming buyers. Save the money, build up the subs ready to step in with a comprehensive, tried and tested business model to take the club forward.

This is lovely - but fairy-tale. A tried and tested business model! Going into Admin is not as easy as it appears. If Hertz made such a 'profit' it was by selling off their better players (How many do Saints have for that?) and by getting their huge fan numbers to turn up and pay up. Saints do not have such luxury.

The SFA/SPFL will be falling over themselves as they have done fir sevco and hearts to keep a senior club in the leagues.... If! It has an organised and mobilised ownership that wants to do it the right way !

I'm glad you believe Saints would be as important to SFA/SPL. I wouldn't trust them.

Funnily enough, I was just thinking the other day that I wouldn't balk at the idea of dropping a division (or maybe even a couple) if that was the consequence of securing a viable fan ownership model. Indeed, I think it might just be a preferable scenario to one which sees the club under the control of a group of people with no affinity to the club or the town, and possibly dubious credentials into the bargain.

Does SMiSA have the leadership to get us to such a place - either now or in the future - who knows, but the alternatives don't fill me with hope and confidence.

So.. you agree - they DID take on debts. And they have been substantial. Could only pay those off due to 40,000 bigots turning up to follow the fight "back to their rightful place"...

And they were allowed to start - via the mystical five-way agreement in div 4. No guarantee that Saints can do any of that.

This is lovely - but fairy-tale. A tried and tested business model! Going into Admin is not as easy as it appears. If Hertz made such a 'profit' it was by selling off their better players (How many do Saints have for that?) and by getting their huge fan numbers to turn up and pay up. Saints do not have such luxury.

I'm glad you believe Saints would be as important to SFA/SPL. I wouldn't trust them.

Whats with the red ink.... Teacher?

Given the last fee we paid for a player was 35k for Imrie i feel comfortable we could handle settling anything outstanding from that.

I don't recall Hearts selling 900k worth if players after entering admin. But i do recall the surge in home gates, merchandise sales, fund raisers amongst their support when they set out to take control of their club.

No one should trust the SFA/SPFL wankers, but they are so easy to play given their respective constitutions and commitment to the game in Scotland. Hell even old Chuckles Green rang rings round them.

The red ink is cos it's easier addressing each of your points, in turn.

Given the last fee we paid for a player was 35k for Imrie i feel comfortable we could handle settling anything outstanding from that.

My point was more that Saints just can't expect to start afresh without ANY debts let alone the free ride that Sevco were mystically given by the SFA/SPL.

I don't recall Hearts selling 900k worth if players after entering admin. But i do recall the surge in home gates, merchandise sales, fund raisers amongst their support when they set out to take control of their club.

Yes, a huge surge in their already large support. Do you really believe Saints can improve on our faithful 3000?

No one should trust the SFA/SPFL wankers, but they are so easy to play given their respective constitutions and commitment to the game in Scotland. Hell even old Chuckles Green rang rings round them.

Chuckles got a free ride cos he was doing things to keep Ra Peepul happy. a few thousand Buddies don't matter.

Anyway, my point is you make it sound far, far too easy. Administration, leads to liquidation and is not easily overcome. Saints do not have an Ann Budge waiting in the wings with a wadge of dosh, belief and practical ability to fund the club and set it on the right road. Hertz are inordinately lucky to have had her. But if their fans didn't/don't pony up, she will not subsidise them forever.

The red ink is cos it's easier addressing each of your points, in turn.

Given the last fee we paid for a player was 35k for Imrie i feel comfortable we could handle settling anything outstanding from that.My point was more that Saints just can't expect to start afresh without ANY debts let alone the free ride that Sevco were mystically given by the SFA/SPL.

Yes, a huge surge in their already large support. Do you really believe Saints can improve on our faithful 3000?

Chuckles got a free ride cos he was doing things to keep Ra Peepul happy. a few thousand Buddies don't matter.

Anyway, my point is you make it sound far, far too easy. Administration, leads to liquidation and is not easily overcome. Saints do not have an Ann Budge waiting in the wings with a wadge of dosh, belief and practical ability to fund the club and set it on the right road. Hertz are inordinately lucky to have had her. But if their fans didn't/don't pony up, she will not subsidise them forever.

So what your saying teach is yes it can be done if we have the belief and commitment to see it through.

You only needed a line of red ink for that.

So what your saying teach is yes it can be done if we have the belief and commitment to see it through.

You only needed a line of red ink for that.

Good.

At last, a concise post from you - one to which I can respond more easily, in black as you appear daunted by colour changes...

ANYTHING CAN be done.

Belief and commitment are a given, but you've not been reading my responses.

You also need a whole lot of luck, political will from the football authorities (that is not a 'given'), deep-deep pockets and finally people who are sufficiently competent to drive it through.

If there are 3,000 members paying £2 per month then in 2 years we might accumulate £144,000. This assumes a timescale where debts are built up and administrators are called in and are able to put a deal to the creditors. Depending on the level of debt, is this sum of money likely to persuade the debtors to do a deal or would they want the assets sold?

In the case of Hearts, £2M was needed, with Budge being the equivalent of the CIC funders under 10000 Hours.

Personally I don't think SMISA can have any influence on the outcome if we go into administration. However if they thought about bringing on board other funders - not banks- then it just might work.

I would therefore agree to support SMISA if they begin that process and commit to a fan funded buyout akin to Hearts or even Motherwell. Will SMISA update its aims and get fans fully on board a realistic campaign?

Oh and BTW, a big welcome to our new owners whoever they are.

Good.

At last, a concise post from you - one to which I can respond more easily, in black as you appear daunted by colour changes...

ANYTHING CAN be done.

Belief and commitment are a given, but you've not been reading my responses.

You also need a whole lot of luck, political will from the football authorities (that is not a 'given'), deep-deep pockets and finally people who are sufficiently competent to drive it through.

So your saying again its a go-er?

Heres a few figures for you. If 3000 buds sign up for £2 a week in Smisa thats just over 300k a year additional investment over and above the clubs current revenue streams. Imagine if invested carefully in fitting out a bar, selling our corporate facilities etc... That 300k a year could become 500 or 600k.

Personally i believe if organised and sold /recruited fan to fan, relative to relative, bud to bud we could get 5000 paying £2 a week as more will want to join such a feel good movement that is running the one town, one team....

First tagline.... "Don't give £2 a week to Lotto.... Give it to Thommo!" With that! Goal celebration as a backdrop.

Now how far could we make over 500k a year additional investment go?

I've posted on that subject on numerous occasions over the past week or so. I certainly don't expect the sort of comments you'd get from Rangers groups.

They seem to have resigned themselves to fan control not happening, as opposed to a call to arms or any sort of organised attempt to actually take the club on. I know a number of members, so don't want to start launching off at the group, but they should be more active now and should have been more supportive of 10000 Hours.

I don't follow your posts so I don't know what you've said before. I'm glad you've joined today though - there is really no excuse for any fan not to join up at this time. As Div said, it's now very easy to join up online and I did so as soon as that option became available.

I entirely disagree that there was anything "Rangers-like" about John White's response. I think it was entirely reasonable to question why a consortium would want to buy the club.

I don't think the membership of SMISA is terribly high, and I don't think it is feasible to expect them to mount some sort of organized attempt to take the club on, as you put it. The money is not there, and the manpower is not there.

I also disagree that they should have been more supportive of 10,000 Hours, although that was obviously not why 10,000 Hours failed. I wasn't a member at the time, but as far as I could tell, their members took the time to look into it properly and came up with a reasoned standpoint.

As for being resigned about fan ownership, I think we have to be realistic here. I believe that it is the only sustainable model in Scottish football (OF apart) and will become the norm, although that will take time. It will not happen at St Mirren until:

1. A consortium buys the club, everything goes tits up (which it inevitably will: any consortium will want to sell the club on at some point) and either we go into administration and managed to salvage the club, or we go out of existence altogether and the fans start the club again from scratch, or

2. We get relegated, the selling consortium do not manage to sell the club before then and their selling price inevitably has to take a hit. At that point, it might be possible to revisit the 10,000 Hours model.

I think it will definitely happen, but I don't see what SMISA, or anyone else, can do about it right now (unless a black and white Ann Budge comes forward).

When 10000hours wanted fans to sign up for DD pledges, they held open meetings, set up a website, and had leaflets handed out, and stories in papers.

At this increasingly worrying time, with who-knows-who possibly buying the club, or not, allied to leaks and statements from disgruntled consortiums, I think (as Div said) this is the time for individual fans to join SMiSA.

I agree. What I think SMiSA should be doing is to be coming out at this time and engaging with the support to get people to join. The SNP saw a massive rise in numbers while the time was right for them. This is the right time for SMiSA to strike - through local newspaper articles, leaflets handed to supporters, basically be visible and bang the drum, as 10000hours did.

I think there was a leaflet drop earlier this season. As far as I know, though, it's the same small band of people running SMISA and I can't believe many St Mirren fans haven't heard of the organization. It's easy to blame folk who already give up a lot of their time to run SMISA for not doing more leafleting, but that's not the reason why most of the folk who spend their days posting on this board are not members. As more join up, there will no doubt be more new keen faces who will be able to "be visible".

If there are 3,000 members paying £2 per month then in 2 years we might accumulate £144,000. This assumes a timescale where debts are built up and administrators are called in and are able to put a deal to the creditors. Depending on the level of debt, is this sum of money likely to persuade the debtors to do a deal or would they want the assets sold?

In the case of Hearts, £2M was needed, with Budge being the equivalent of the CIC funders under 10000 Hours.

Personally I don't think SMISA can have any influence on the outcome if we go into administration. However if they thought about bringing on board other funders - not banks- then it just might work.

I would therefore agree to support SMISA if they begin that process and commit to a fan funded buyout akin to Hearts or even Motherwell. Will SMISA update its aims and get fans fully on board a realistic campaign?

Oh and BTW, a big welcome to our new owners whoever they are.

There are too many people sitting back and expecting someone else to mount a realistic campaign. Get off your backsides, join SMISA, help shape its aims and goals. Or sit and post on message boards all day and moan about the club being sold down the river.

Fecking incredible, absolutely nothing concrete is known about any takeover bar some conjecture and half truth's but we have now reached the stage where the takeover has happened, we're in / out of administration and considering another fan takeover or not. Really?

Fecking incredible, absolutely nothing concrete is known about any takeover bar some conjecture and half truth's but we have now reached the stage where the takeover has happened, we're in / out of administration and considering another fan takeover or not. Really?

Any more ludicrous than complaining about it?

I don't think the membership of SMISA is terribly high, and I don't think it is feasible to expect them to mount some sort of organized attempt to take the club on, as you put it. The money is not there, and the manpower is not there.

I also disagree that they should have been more supportive of 10,000 Hours, although that was obviously not why 10,000 Hours failed. I wasn't a member at the time, but as far as I could tell, their members took the time to look into it properly and came up with a reasoned standpoint.

You're right, it's not, but there is no rallying call. Fans already contribute via (this won't be exhaustive) season tickets, merchandise, hospitality, sponsoring players, ad boards via their company, food/drink and single match tickets. 10000 Hours saw a number of those people become engaged and want to get involved/donate. 10000 Hours didn't have a membership at the start, but they did some background work and, whatever you think of it all, had prospective investors and enough of a plan to be allowed on the board to understand how the club run. The membership then came after they anounced they were going to take over, met with numerous people over time (including myself) and began the process of looking for interest and holding public meetings. SMISA's membership could grow if their intentions were larger, if the mission statement was more than get more shares and maybe have someone on the board. It's low now because the intentions, corporate footprint and media coverage is low.

As for being more supportive, working with 10000 Hours and engaging with local businesses even through the final attempt could have seen things work out. Yes everyone had issues of varying degrees with the starting setup, use of the void once fitted out, considerations to involved groups, non-St Mirren people and everything else. I just feel that the supporters group, the very group who should be the vehicle for ownership, pulling out gave entirely the wrong message at a time when it was there to grab. Fair enough, the first 6 months might have seen a few people at the top table and things would have been dfficult. But, that'll happen with a Phoenix club, with the club post-administration, after relegation or after someone buys us then hands the club over in a nicely wrapped box.

The above is all blah though if the sale has gone through. That said it doesn't end there and do SMISA then look to assist with funding, create a war chest just in case or do we do both (seeing as i've now joined).

You are right about manpower though, it takes up a hell of a lot of time and eats in to every part of your week.

If the club's been sold then there is no point in me winning Euromillions this week. What the f**k would I do with all that money if I couldn't throw it all at the Buds, I would have absolutely no idea what to do with it. Oh well, back to work it is.

You can agree to pay Cheesys contract extension ,his last rumoured wage was about £10000 per week.

As for being resigned about fan ownership, I think we have to be realistic here. I believe that it is the only sustainable model in Scottish football (OF apart) and will become the norm, although that will take time. It will not happen at St Mirren until:

1. A consortium buys the club, everything goes tits up (which it inevitably will: any consortium will want to sell the club on at some point) and either we go into administration and managed to salvage the club, or we go out of existence altogether and the fans start the club again from scratch, or

2. We get relegated, the selling consortium do not manage to sell the club before then and their selling price inevitably has to take a hit. At that point, it might be possible to revisit the 10,000 Hours model.

I think it will definitely happen, but I don't see what SMISA, or anyone else, can do about it right now (unless a black and white Ann Budge comes forward).

I think there was a leaflet drop earlier this season. As far as I know, though, it's the same small band of people running SMISA and I can't believe many St Mirren fans haven't heard of the organization. It's easy to blame folk who already give up a lot of their time to run SMISA for not doing more leafleting, but that's not the reason why most of the folk who spend their days posting on this board are not members. As more join up, there will no doubt be more new keen faces who will be able to "be visible".

There are too many people sitting back and expecting someone else to mount a realistic campaign. Get off your backsides, join SMISA, help shape its aims and goals. Or sit and post on message boards all day and moan about the club being sold down the river.

Regarding the bits in bold above and comparing it to 10000hours, how could they manage to get over 1000 people to sign up to a £10 a month DD in a relatively short space of time when they appeared to only have 2 main guys running it? Of course the aim and end goal was greater and potentially more appealing but at least people knew about it.

I am aware of SMISA but I don't fully know what all their aims and objectives are and I'm sure many are in the same boat or dont know about it at all.

The thing about the leaflets is all well and good but in todays modern world, an email is not only easier to produce and distribute but it can potentially get to more people aswell. Why haven't SMISA been running regular sign up drives, say 2 a year which could include inspiring messages on platforms such as this website? I have always considered signing up for SMISA but there is never really anything that persuades me to actively dig around to find out how. All it would take would be a regular thread on this website, or article on the homepage which provided all information about signing up and all aims and benefits about signing up.

Especially, as you say, as more people sign up, the talent pool becomes greater. With Div now a member, surely he could have better ideas about how to use technology in a recruitment drive?

Do SMISA have targets about how many new members they like to gain every year and do they have a plan of how to attract these members? If no is the answer then they can't really expect to grow and achieve any of their ultimate aims and goals.

Regarding the bits in bold above and comparing it to 10000hours, how could they manage to get over 1000 people to sign up to a £10 a month DD in a relatively short space of time when they appeared to only have 2 main guys running it? Of course the aim and end goal was greater and potentially more appealing but at least people knew about it.

I am aware of SMISA but I don't fully know what all their aims and objectives are and I'm sure many are in the same boat or dont know about it at all.

The thing about the leaflets is all well and good but in todays modern world, an email is not only easier to produce and distribute but it can potentially get to more people aswell. Why haven't SMISA been running regular sign up drives, say 2 a year which could include inspiring messages on platforms such as this website? I have always considered signing up for SMISA but there is never really anything that persuades me to actively dig around to find out how. All it would take would be a regular thread on this website, or article on the homepage which provided all information about signing up and all aims and benefits about signing up.

Especially, as you say, as more people sign up, the talent pool becomes greater. With Div now a member, surely he could have better ideas about how to use technology in a recruitment drive?

Do SMISA have targets about how many new members they like to gain every year and do they have a plan of how to attract these members? If no is the answer then they can't really expect to grow and achieve any of their ultimate aims and goals.

I agree with a lot of this especially about not knowing the "mission" inspite of all the guys I go to games with being active members since day one. I signed up in the middle of December at the minimum membership to try to find out more and may well up my fee, while I have also discussed my shares in the club with them, not to donate my shares but to confirm that I will support them if I agree with proposals.

I know the guys that run it and know they have the clubs best interests at heart but feel a clear objective would help get new members. If there is any criticism it would I have been going to the football with these guys for 10 years now and never been asked if I would sign up for SMiSA, which I think is a missed opportunity. I've read before that some people have described it as a secret society and this could well be the reason. Anyway sign up and make your voice heard at the AGM.