Deal To Sell To Argentinian Consortium Agreed

div

I think the main difference is that even people who are positive about this change of ownership, recognise the fact that things could quite easily go tits up.

Other than my tongue in cheek reference to European football, I haven't noticed anybody jumping about for joy and forecasting endless riches for the club, both in terms of money or on field success.

Experience has told us that these situations, where foreign ownership is involved*, can often result in disaster. Therefore, although there's a sense of relief that change is afoot and that we might survive relegation and thrive in the SPL (or whatever its called), this is tempered by the fact that there's a lot of uncertainty.

As Div says, let's wait and see what the new owner's opening gambit is before we start weeping and wailing.

*Just in case people think that I've developed a case of rampant Xenophobia, UK based consortiums, sometimes involving fan ownership, are equally capable of making an arse of clubs too.

Oh I agree - give them a chance. None of us know anything about them. A forum is about opinions, and my opinion is based on experience of other Scottish clubs. Hearts, Livingston, Dundee.

It wasn't good. I am not weeping and wailing, nor am I running out to buy an Adidas Argentina top and a flag to wave at games to laud our new owners who will lead us to Europe and Scotland's second force....

Under the current owners long tenure, we haven't been utterly shit like a Morton or suchlike, nor been up to the heady heights of second spot and Europe, like a Motherwell or suchlike. We have been decent, up and down, but hanging in there. Stable, well run - and pishing ouselves laughing at Rangers, Hearts, Livvy, Dundee, and Gretna - as we continued safely bobbing along on the good ship St Mirren.

There was a lot to be said for bobbing along plotting a steady course - until the captains of the ship wanted to jump in the lifeboats and get the hell out of there.

In all seriousness, British guys fcuked up Rangers and Gretna. Johnny foreigners fcuked up Hearts, Dundee and Livvy. Questions at Raith too.

Where are the examples of 'traditional owner' guys like SG at St Mirren, Thompson at Dundee Utd or Milne at Aberdeen being replaced by shiny new consortiums - with those new guys being successful in Scotland while running the club sustainably and properly without it ending in tears

I remain troubled, and I make no apology for feeling that way.

Oh I agree - give them a chance. None of us know anything about them. A forum is about opinions, and my opinion is based on experience of other Scottish clubs. Hearts, Livingston, Dundee.

It wasn't good. I am not weeping and wailing, nor am I running out to buy an Adidas Argentina top and a flag to wave at games to laud our new owners who will lead us to Europe and Scotland's second force....

Under the current owners long tenure, we haven't been utterly shit like a Morton or suchlike, nor been up to the heady heights of second spot and Europe, like a Motherwell or suchlike. We have been decent, up and down, but hanging in there. Stable, well run - and pishing ouselves laughing at Rangers, Hearts, Livvy, Dundee, and Gretna - as we continued safely bobbing along on the good ship St Mirren.

There was a lot to be said for bobbing along plotting a steady course - until the captains of the ship wanted to jump in the lifeboats and get the hell out of there.

In all seriousness, British guys fcuked up Rangers and Gretna. Johnny foreigners fcuked up Hearts, Dundee and Livvy. Questions at Raith too.

Where are the examples of 'traditional owner' guys like SG at St Mirren, Thompson at Dundee Utd or Milne at Aberdeen being replaced by shiny new consortiums - with those new guys being successful in Scotland while running the club sustainably and properly without it ending in tears

I remain troubled, and I make no apology for feeling that way.

I think many fans share your fears but there's nowt we can do about it. We will still be here if/when they decide they've had enough.

I think everyone is right to be cautious, and the feeling of dread is only natural given the high profile failures of foreign owners in this country.

That said there are plenty of Scottish owners who have royally f**ked over their clubs too.

Gordon Scott's initial bid would have been the only one that delivered "more of the same" ie: with a wealthy Saints fan in the board room calling the shots.

Every other bid, and I include 10,000 hours in this, has carried it's own degree of risk, and would be different than we have all been used to ever since we all started supporting the club.

We know nothing about these guys yet, other than they are South American. I fail to see how anyone can form an opinion, good or bad, based purely on their nationality !

It may be a particularly naive view from me, but maybe the board have been buying up more shares. Douglas st Ltd still only has 52%. Now here's the naive part. maybe the outgoing bod have bought up the rest of the shares to ensure whoever comes in can't get the 75% which I believe means they can do whatever they like. They've always said they want to go out ensuring the club's in good hands, maybe that's part of the legacy.

I think many fans share your fears but there's nowt we can do about it. We will still be here if/when they decide they've had enough.

Aye, and if they have had enough, what do they do with the club then? Spend five years like the current sellers looking for the right guys? Murray - Whyte - Green - Who the fcuk knows anymore....

All I'm saying is that, admittedly due to the nature of it, both 10000hours and SG made themselves open to public questioning over many meetings, with a dedicated website for questions too, plus REA making himself available through this forum.

Do the Argentinians or selling consortium NEED to answer our concerns? No - it's their ball and they don't need to. However, given what SG and Co have witnessed at other Scottish clubs, and given that the Argentinians (you'd think and hope) would want to engage with the supporters of the club they've just bought... Is it unreasonable to ask that both parties make themselves available to answer supporter concerns?

I think everyone is right to be cautious, and the feeling of dread is only natural given the high profile failures of foreign owners in this country.

That said there are plenty of Scottish owners who have royally f**ked over their clubs too.

Gordon Scott's initial bid would have been the only one that delivered "more of the same" ie: with a wealthy Saints fan in the board room calling the shots.

Every other bid, and I include 10,000 hours in this, has carried it's own degree of risk, and would be different than we have all been used to ever since we all started supporting the club.

We know nothing about these guys yet, other than they are South American. I fail to see how anyone can form an opinion, good or bad, based purely on their nationality !

Div, do you know anything about this new consortium installing a manager of a certain nationality?

Wouldn't that be an instantly worrying development if true?

The last few years have been f*cken hard going being a St Mirren fan so yes there is a danger that this change could go tits up but there is also the possibility that it could work ? Since our return to the top flight we have never established ourselves as a top 6 club, constantly looking over our shoulders at the relegation trap door annoyingly while other similar sized or smaller clubs progress by us with ease. If we had kept status quo we were going down nothing surer. A worrying malaise had set in at the club and even the most loyal fans were voting with their feet. This change is exciting, it might not save us from going down but will give us a fighting chance whilst also giving the whole club a lift at exactly the right time.

Heard Messi isnae happy at Barca .... get him and a big Argie centre back and we're sorted LOL punk.gif

I've rationalised this is my simple brain, boil this down to basics..........

Stick or twist on fourteen, of course you feckn twist. Who would sit unhappy, dismal hand , on a known loser when you had a chance to take action and do something to avert inevitable failure.

As for a gamble, life is a gamble,bring it on. A bit like asking Shull to top fifty , especially if you had your seat belt on !

It's a spark of excitement, that's undeniable, especially after the last five or so dismal years, except St mirrens day 2013

Michael Johnston, David Murray and Chris Robinson to name but three.

Aye, and if they have had enough, what do they do with the club then? Spend five years like the current sellers looking for the right guys? Murray - Whyte - Green - Who the fcuk knows anymore....

All I'm saying is that, admittedly due to the nature of it, both 10000hours and SG made themselves open to public questioning over many meetings, with a dedicated website for questions too, plus REA making himself available through this forum.

Do the Argentinians or selling consortium NEED to answer our concerns? No - it's their ball and they don't need to. However, given what SG and Co have witnessed at other Scottish clubs, and given that the Argentinians (you'd think and hope) would want to engage with the supporters of the club they've just bought... Is it unreasonable to ask that both parties make themselves available to answer supporter concerns?

I would hope so at the very least, if they want their takeover to be a success then getting the supporters of the club on side would be a good start.

Nothing to do with nationality.

They are not St Mirren and have no love in their heart for our Club.

We are doomed.

Now been rubshed Load of shit just ignore everything till we see it on fishal site

That's certainly what I'll be doing.

There's been so many rumours and counter rumours over the last 5 years. Until it's confirmed by SGG personally I will not believe a thing.

Normally you would be excited about developments like this but given the absolute car crashes that were Livingston and Hearts under foreign owners then I can't shake off a feeling of dread when I think of this.

I can only hope Gilmour and Co have stuck to their word and done their due diligence on this consortium and are selling out to people who have the clubs interests at heart. Like most people, will be very interested to hear how they will move the club forward on and off the field.

One thing that has struck me in all of this - if you remember back to when Brealey attempted to buy the club, wasn't there an EGM called? Why hasn't an EGM been called to ratify this deal? Don't the non-BOD shareholders deserve to have their say? Just a thought.

the reason would be the fact that there were enough shares in the hands of non-board members to inluence the vote back then. They only consulted when they needed us