Statement From English Consortium

div

I was approached this morning by Graeme Redpath who was part of the English Consortium who asked me to publish the following statement on the website for you all to read. I have not amended any of this, verbatim pasted from his email to me;

Over the last 6 months prior to Xmas, we have had extensive, sometimes difficult but always cordial negotiations with your selves regarding the purchase of the St Mirren Football Club.

In early December with the worsening league position and the subsequent sacking of the club manager, and no obvious immediate candidate available, matters became precarious.

As the final parts of the agreement to purchase St Mirren FC ( an agreement that was finally issued by your selves on 23rd of December 2014) were being completed at this time, we quickly moved to firm up a very strong management team anticipating the completion of the deal, we had a Team Manager, Assistant Manager, Director of Football, Head of Recruitement and a comprehensive European Scouting facility lined up.

At this time we were surprisingly pressed by one of the St Mirren FC Directors for the name of our proposed manager, and we reluctantly declared the name of Mr David Thompson in confidence and in good faith. That same evening, this information appeared in the Scottish Daily Express and Mr David Thompson also appeared in the betting to become the next St Mirren FC Manager. The next day his price went to odds on.

This was cause for extreme consternation.

With the transfer window fast approaching we were keen to complete the transaction and had already agreed with St Mirren FC that upon signing, we would be responsible for appointing the next full time Manager and a Director of Football, and his salary.

It was hoped that when appointed Mr David Thompson would take full advantage of the fast approaching transfer window, particularly targeting loan players he had already pencilled in. We pressed on in any event with the intended purchase, which finally was due to complete on Xmas Eve.

On the journey to St Mirren FC, on Xmas Eve, we were advised that one of the Directors would not attend the meeting and therefore it would be impossible to proceed.

The meeting was cancelled by Douglas Street Limited.

This ment that Mr David Thompsons appointment was not possible and we entered the holiday period with the status quo unchanged.

After a disappointing points return from the three holiday games and the prospect of the takeover not occurring until the 12th of January, virtually mid way through the transfer window, we decided to share a more detailed overview of the personnel that we intended to appoint, along with the strategy, with a view to the directors hopefully agreeing to at least meet with Mr David Thompson, and discuss his plans, prior to his possible appointment, thus allowing him and the club to fully utilise the transfer window.

The request to meet with Mr David Thompson was flatly refused by the one Director.

Recent accusations both verbally and in the press regarding this take over, were purely designed to detract from the deal being completed successfully, in our opinion as both parties were fully aware months ago of Mr Mohammed's history .

The proposed purchase was being done without utilising the club as an asset, with 100% private funding.

Through out our negotiations, and visits to the club and games, it became very apparent that there was a very loyal and strong supporter base that wanted success. This reenforced our decision that St Mirren FC was the correct choice to purchase.

Unfortunately, the Shareholders and Directors of Aspiration Holdings Inc. have to regretfully inform you that due to the complete lack of communication and contact, we are unable to proceed with this proposed purchase and subsequent implementation of an achievable Premiership survival plan

We would like to take this opportunity to thank the Directors for their time spent and wish them and all the supporters of St Mirren FC every success for the remainder of the season.

"we had a Team Manager, Assistant Manager, Director of Football, Head of Recruitement and a comprehensive European Scouting facility lined up".

This bit jumped out at me, what size of a club do they think we are? Two wasted wages for a Director of Football and a Head of Recruitment, and why do we need a "comprehensive European Scouting facility", when an effective network of Scottish scouts would be a great starting point?

One side of a story and I can't imagine we'll be hearing the other side.

No point on dwelling on it....

You are right fella, just giving the guys the chance to put their side across.

Whole situation is a right mess. In the background of all this we have a team that is heading at full speed into the Championship, that is really all I am concerned about at this precise moment in time.

It's also a pretty unprofessional statement, and not just because of the numerous spelling and grammatical errors.

Their plans seem like something out of Football Manager, and I'd wager that's as far as their experience of running football clubs go.

Edited by TopCat

Whole situation is a right mess. In the background of all this we have a team that is heading at full speed into the Championship, that is really all I am concerned about at this precise moment in time.

Agree fully, and the lack of communication from the Board to the fans on the takeover (and since TC was sacked) is ridiculous. Appears that they have little time, or respect, for the fans.

Not any real info in this statement, not sure why Graeme Redpath bothered to put this out.

It's quite clear that the board didn't want to sell to them, for whatever reason.

It does though bring into sharp focus that the Board have done nothing to replace Tommy Craig.

This in my opinion is now doing serious harm to the club, they have now lost any advantage at all in sacking TC in advance of the window.

The task of saving us from relegation is rapidly going from extremely hard to completely impossible.

I'm curious as to why, having decided to withdraw their interest in any event, this group have asked to have their statement posted on an unofficial website. Is it a face-saving exercise, or are they genuinely aggrieved as to how they feel they have been treated by the selling consirtium?

Whatever the motivation, there is a danger that we are close to becoming a laughing stock, and this is one more unwanted distraction from the need to extricate ourselves from the utter shambles that is the current status of SMFC.

I 'wonder' which director refused to attend both meetings was and what his reason / motive for this was. My take on the above was that the rest of the board were willing to attend and presumably keen to go ahead with the move.

Gilmour is still in South Africa, no? I'm guessing he wouldn't have been able to attend the meeting regardless?

You have indeed given them a platform to put their story across, and it's now out there in black and white for all to read.

The selling consortium have access to their very own club website, and we know the Chairman reads this website.

Looking forward to them utilising these two well-known channels to let us know their side of the story.

They needen't mention ongoing negotiations (if any) with any other parties.

When's the last time we heard anything from them though? Briefly, when Tommy Craig was bagged? When they wanted us to kiss Rangers arse?

seems unprofessional on both sides. Yeah bullet dodged but still in real trouble with no end in sight. I think we need to write this season off and prepare for life in the Championship. A lot of work will need done over summer. While we need oodles of points I really don't think it is in our own hands any longer. We need to many things to go right. Lets start with a manager.

"we had a Team Manager, Assistant Manager, Director of Football, Head of Recruitement and a comprehensive European Scouting facility lined up".

This bit jumped out at me, what size of a club do they think we are? Two wasted wages for a Director of Football and a Head of Recruitment, and why do we need a "comprehensive European Scouting facility", when an effective network of Scottish scouts would be a great starting point?

It jumped out at me too. Reminds me of Gretna appointing the Forfar or Gretna manager as their head of European scouting. Or maybe the "facility" was the latest copy of Football Manager.

I'm resigned to relegation at the moment.

The takeover issues are a side show. Kinda feel for Gary Teale in all this to be honest.

Edited by flyingscot

I'm curious as to why, having decided to withdraw their interest in any event, this group have asked to have their statement posted on an unofficial website. Is it a face-saving exercise, or are they genuinely aggrieved as to how they feel they have been treated by the selling consirtium?

Whatever the motivation, there is a danger that we are close to becoming a laughing stock, and this is one more unwanted distraction from the need to extricate ourselves from the utter shambles that is the current status of SMFC.

We may well be a laughing stock, but not because of this development. The English consortium clearly makes a laughing stock of itself with this pitiful statement, and we have definitely dodged a bullet there.