Statement From English Consortium

div

The current board, rightly or wrongly, operate on the basis that unless there is something concrete to say, say nothing.

That doesn't help the fans who are understandly jittery at the moment what with the prospect of foreign owners, people bad mouthing the club in the national press and the team hurtling towards relegation.

I think some sort of soothing message wouldn't go amiss, but I wouldn't hold your breath !

The current board, rightly or wrongly, operate on the basis that unless there is something concrete to say, say nothing.

That doesn't help the fans who are understandly jittery at the moment what with the prospect of foreign owners, people bad mouthing the club in the national press and the team hurtling towards relegation.

I think some sort of soothing message wouldn't go amiss, but I wouldn't hold your breath !

Div, it would be easy for them to say something, even if nothing is happening. Simple statements like 'discussions are ongoing' or 'there's been no further progress' or 'we expect a resolution shortly' say little but at least they let us know that we're not being ignored.

I can't see any good reason for the BoD not communicating with what is, after all, the very life blood of the club - the supporters.

No-one is expecting or asking for the forensic detail of any negotiations they are involved in, but the least we might expect is some indication that they are actually conducting any business AT ALL during an absolutely critical period of the club's history.

PR has never been their strong point, but the current omnishambles is absolutely lamentable, and calls for someone to provide reassurance that they are managing affairs. This wall of silence is not acceptable - less so now than it has ever been.

I agree with all those points you mention but that wasn't the point I was making or discussing with "Magic Monkey"

Div, it would be easy for them to say something, even if nothing is happening. Simple statements like 'discussions are ongoing' or 'there's been no further progress' or 'we expect a resolution shortly' say little but at least they let us know that we're not being ignored.

Statement from BOD......... nothing is happening.

It isn't just about the sale, though. We are in perilous league position, without an appointed manager, and at approximately the half-way point of a critical transfer window. I wouldn't mind so much about knowing next to nothing about the club sale if I was remotely confident that the BoD are still actively managing the club in other areas.

Edited by Drew

It isn't just about the sale, though. We are in perilous league position, without an appointed manager, and at approximately the half-way point of a critical transfer window. I wouldn't mind so much about knowing next to nothing about the club sale if I was remotely confident that the BoD are still actively managing the club in other areas.

Until the BOD sells club, surely it's in their interest to be looking after it.

Issue there Drew is that if the English consortium asked to appoint the next manager or bring players in then what's to have stopped the Argentinians doing the same. Bad enough joining a club then finding out the manager who picked you has just been sacked without joining knowing there's a fair chance the manager and current board will move on.

The reason the silence is deafening is they can't say anything about the sale during negotiations, indeed they can't even say that negotiations are taking place if, as I would expect, the pre-contract inclydes a confidentiality clause. This will probably prevent them from making any statement on the managers appointment or GT's position at this time.

As for any other statement about the club's present position the best course of action is the same as that taken by every other club, say nothing until you have a positive announcement to make. Everything they say will be twisted by the media for their own ends and as for the folk on here, well just read the rubbish that's been written over the last month or so. Come into the real world folks.

The reason the silence is deafening is they can't say anything about the sale during negotiations, indeed they can't even say that negotiations are taking place if, as I would expect, the pre-contract inclydes a confidentiality clause. This will probably prevent them from making any statement on the managers appointment or GT's position at this time.

As for any other statement about the club's present position the best course of action is the same as that taken by every other club, say nothing until you have a positive announcement to make. Everything they say will be twisted by the media for their own ends and as for the folk on here, well just read the rubbish that's been written over the last month or so. Come into the real world folks.

I don't agree. Why can't they even come out an recognize that there are issues? "The Board understands the fans concerns about the present situation, and we are working to improve things both on and off the park. We would ask all Saints fans to be patient for the time being".

Not f*cking rocket science.

Not convinced by this at all. I would have thought that the BoD have a responsibility to the other shareholders (remember them?) at least, in terms of drip-feeding some sense that they are still managing, and....er, directing the club. Absolutely central to the appropriate stewardship of the club is the requirement to sort out the managerial position and look to discharge their other duties such as, you know, trying to steer us away from relegation.

Not convinced by this at all. I would have thought that the BoD have a responsibility to the other shareholders (remember them?) at least, in terms of drip-feeding some sense that they are still managing, and....er, directing the club. Absolutely central to the appropriate stewardship of the club is the requirement to sort out the managerial position and look to discharge their other duties such as, you know, trying to steer us away from relegation.

I was wondering earlier, just when this consortium became preferred bidders and when the Argentinians were shown round. Had we given an indication of acceptance yet "negotiated" with the Argies too.

The situation with the board is exactly as you say, SGG has often said he will not put out any statement until it's a done deal, which begs the question, where are the leaks coming from ? can't fault you for posting the info you received as you stated it to be from a trusted source. If it comes from the board then they need to plug that leak as it only serves to add to the confusion, and like you say a soothing public statement would not go amiss.

If there is only a matter of the buyout waiting on cash clearing in the bank, then they should tell us, because that would mean a deal had been signed.

If the info you got turns out to be nothing more than a rumour Lie, Then whoever started it should get their arse kicked, and i'll gladly do the kicking.

The situation with the board is exactly as you say, SGG has often said he will not put out any statement until it's a done deal, which begs the question, where are the leaks coming from ? can't fault you for posting the info you received as you stated it to be from a trusted source. If it comes from the board then they need to plug that leak as it only serves to add to the confusion, and like you say a soothing public statement would not go amiss.

If there is only a matter of the buyout waiting on cash clearing in the bank, then they should tell us, because that would mean a deal had been signed.

If the info you got turns out to be nothing more than a rumour Lie, Then whoever started it should get their arse kicked, and i'll gladly do the kicking.

Exactly! No one is suggesting that the board need to say anything publicly that will compromise any potential takeover (breach confidentiality contracts etc) - but what we are saying is that some sort of reassurance that (a) they are aware that we need a new manager and (B) we might sign someone (anyone!) to play centre half would be good.

If what the English consortium say is true then it beggers belief as to what our board are playing at. The proposal put forward sounds a good proposition for the club unlike what the Argentinian bid sounds like. Surely as fans we deserve some form of clarification. We are sitting in limbo with a board staying quiet and no news on the manager front either.

And this would help the Selling Consortium how...???? Five years wanting out and scupper their chances..??

Sabotaging the Football Manager bid ????

That is my point. They snatch defeat from the jaws of victory even though it seems to be against their interests - knocking back 10000 Hours being the best example and possibly the English consortium falls into the same bracket. In light of where we are, both seem to be strange decisions.

That is my point. They snatch defeat from the jaws of victory even though it seems to be against their interests - knocking back 10000 Hours being the best example and possibly the English consortium falls into the same bracket. In light of where we are, both seem to be strange decisions.

And it's a good point. The BoD must be weighing up two things - their desire to do the very best for the club against their desire to get their money and enjoy a more peaceful existence. None of us know how these two competing desires are balanced at one point in time.