Good Auld Goodie

He spoke very well last night and I don't think his comments were too controversial. His main point about Michael Stewart was that he always seemed to focus on the negative (I take it Goody doesn't lurk on here!), and how frustrating that can be for players and managers trying to do their best. He felt that MS had it in for Tommy Craig from the start, and that Tommy's possibly grumpy dealings with the media may have been partly down to the fact that many of them were expecting him to fail from the start. Gentleman Jim thought that, as MS understands how difficult the game can be, he should be a bit more understanding about the problems professionals face, and maybe get involved in coaching/management if he fancies himself at it so much.

Michael Stewart will no doubt respond and defend his position (it's all about opinions blah blah blah...) but I doubt we'll hear the kind of spluttering, nervy performance he gave when asked about Ally McCoist having a pop at him a few months ago. You could almost hear cloth being touched.

MS's performance on Sportscene on Sunday was a case in point. I think we were all looking forward to seeing the highlights and the 'analysis' but what do we get? A focus on Stevie Mallon handling the ball, a lot of pish about Arquin's tackle and then talking about our defence being at sixes and sevens every time he sees us. We won a crucial game after playing with 10 men for an hour FFS! I switched over before he and Bonner had finished their nonsense, so maybe they said something positive about us at the end?

The thing that annoyed me was Bonner chirping on about how scandalous it'd be if the "handball" gaff by the ref was the deciding factor in the relegation battle. Failed to mention or consider the amount of costly refereeing gaffs Saints have been subjected to this season.

That'll be because he doesn't bother watching us and the other "smaller" clubs,and like all the other pundits probably only watches the highlights of our games when he's on Sportscene

I don't pay heed to any of the shite the talking heads in the Sportscene studio waffle about. I include His Handsomeness of Thompson in that too. I have zero interest in what Thommo' has to say about three minutes of highlights from a Kilmarnock v Partick game, or whatever. They are there to fill in a few minutes. Frankly, I never just watch Sportscene anyway. Always record it, and whizz through the studio guests pish at x12 speed.

Edited by pozbaird

Question is...after managing to go seven games without a booking...will Goody manage to make it through 90 mins vs. Dundee Utd. on Wednesday without elbowing someone in the pus....

I have no doubt that MacNamara will target Goodwin early on in the game hoping for a reaction.It is up to Goodwin to have enough savvy when it matters and realise what will happen.

The thing that annoyed me was Bonner chirping on about how scandalous it'd be if the "handball" gaff by the ref was the deciding factor in the relegation battle. Failed to mention or consider the amount of costly refereeing gaffs Saints have been subjected to this season.

What annoyed me most was the bug eyed one asking "don't suppose there's a chance of the hand ball goal being chalked off" fanny that he is

I always wondered why Sportscene was so shite compared to Match of the Day. Do Sky have cameras at all the games and BBC use the footage? The one camera angle is always jobby in the highlights we get Flush.gif

This is why i think its embarassing that both MS and Bonner never gave it thought and immediately declared it a handball. No players appealed...no fans behind goal went loco. Does that not say something?

He spoke very well last night and I don't think his comments were too controversial. His main point about Michael Stewart was that he always seemed to focus on the negative (I take it Goody doesn't lurk on here!), and how frustrating that can be for players and managers trying to do their best. He felt that MS had it in for Tommy Craig from the start, and that Tommy's possibly grumpy dealings with the media may have been partly down to the fact that many of them were expecting him to fail from the start. Gentleman Jim thought that, as MS understands how difficult the game can be, he should be a bit more understanding about the problems professionals face, and maybe get involved in coaching/management if he fancies himself at it so much.

Michael Stewart will no doubt respond and defend his position (it's all about opinions blah blah blah...) but I doubt we'll hear the kind of spluttering, nervy performance he gave when asked about Ally McCoist having a pop at him a few months ago. You could almost hear cloth being touched.

MS's performance on Sportscene on Sunday was a case in point. I think we were all looking forward to seeing the highlights and the 'analysis' but what do we get? A focus on Stevie Mallon handling the ball, a lot of pish about Arquin's tackle and then talking about our defence being at sixes and sevens every time he sees us. We won a crucial game after playing with 10 men for an hour FFS! I switched over before he and Bonner had finished their nonsense, so maybe they said something positive about us at the end?

Sixes and sevens...a michael stewart classic line describing our defence on more than one occassion. His patter is rubbish.

For a guy that decided to retire from the game at such a young age, take up punditry and nick pick negatives from a teams performance rather than credit them for playing over an hour with 10 men and winning the game is damn right insulting.

Im glad Jim never pussy footed about and told them what he thought.

This is why i think its embarassing that both MS and Bonner never gave it thought and immediately declared it a handball. No players appealed...no fans behind goal went loco. Does that not say something?

Sixes and sevens...a michael stewart classic line describing our defence on more than one occassion. His patter is rubbish.

For a guy that decided to retire from the game at such a young age, take up punditry and nick pick negatives from a teams performance rather than credit them for playing over an hour with 10 men and winning the game is damn right insulting.

Im glad Jim never pussy footed about and told them what he thought.

He retired because he couldn't get a gig at a club befitting his ability/reputation......

I know one current Player/Manager in Scotland who will tell you Stewart did suffer earlier in his Career from "Rampant Billy Big Baws Syndrome"

At Man Utd. he told Fergie he should be in the 1st Team.........M6 was his next destination.

He retired because he couldn't get a gig at a club befitting his ability/reputation......

I know one current Player/Manager in Scotland who will tell you Stewart did suffer earlier in his Career from "Rampant Billy Big Baws Syndrome"

At Man Utd. he told Fergie he should be in the 1st Team.........M6 was his next destination.

http://www.wsc.co.uk/wsc-daily/939-August-2008/988-pay-as-they-go

Oh FFS doesn't this ever get tiring.

Michael Stewart is a pundit. It's his job to give opinions on football and he shouldn't be there to cosy up to pals in the sport. Goodwin's defence of Tommy Craig was admirable, but FFS Craigs record is 100% clear. He is a shite manager. He's signed poor players, He lost a plethora of matches. And his big name players like Goodwin, had a nasty little habit of letting him down by getting themselves sent off and suspended even at a time when there was a long injury list. And then there was the individual mistakes being made by players like Goodwin and McAusland that would ensure St Mirren still haven't gone a single 90 minutes this season without conceding a goal. None of that was Michael Stewarts fault, he simply commented on it when asked to by his paymasters.

Oh FFS doesn't this ever get tiring.

Michael Stewart is a pundit. It's his job to give opinions on football and he shouldn't be there to cosy up to pals in the sport. Goodwin's defence of Tommy Craig was admirable, but FFS Craigs record is 100% clear. He is a shite manager. He's signed poor players, He lost a plethora of matches. And his big name players like Goodwin, had a nasty little habit of letting him down by getting themselves sent off and suspended even at a time when there was a long injury list. And then there was the individual mistakes being made by players like Goodwin and McAusland that would ensure St Mirren still haven't gone a single 90 minutes this season without conceding a goal. None of that was Michael Stewarts fault, he simply commented on it when asked to by his paymasters.

Points well made IMHO. I listened to it at the time and thought the comments from JG were both strange and misplaced. He did clearly state that results were unacceptable, though continually tried to defend Tommy Craig in his role as Manager, while repeatedly launching in the Michael Stewart.

TC's appointment was cheap and lazy, his signings were atrocious, tactically he was found wanting, and his relationship with the fans was at best strained. The vast majority of us on this forum were sick of watching, desperate for him to get the bag, and relieved to say the least when the BOD finally grew a pair and faced the inevitable.

I'm struggling to see exactly what Michael Stewart did wrong, other than to state a forthright and supported opinion (which he is paid to do) that Tommy Craig is not a manager and/or made a right royal phuckup of it at St Mirren.

On other matters I thought JG spoke well, but nope, I didn't get the big defense of TC, other than perhaps that TC stood by him when he, once again, let the club down very badly (for which, to be fair, JG has held his hands us).

TC was a disaster from start to finish, we move on, but I'm not signing up to any sympathetic or romantic notion of his defense now that he has gone. It was a car crash.

I like Michael Stewart as some others when they are on the radio

As they make honest and make off the cuff answers

Sportscene is more or less scripted and you toe the party line

Else you will find they won't be back

It was good to see a bit of loyalty(blind) from Goodie

They tried to goad him further but i thought he came across well

Then we had Tealy slating Sportscene the following morning in the papers

Good to see a bit of fight in the club instead of the soft touch we had become