League Cup Sections

HSS

A story in a paper today that a meeting of Senior Clubs discussed returning to the old League Cup format of 4 team sections.The sections would be regionalised to provide local derbies.Any change would be from 2016.

St Mirrens section,I imagine,would be Us,Killie,Ayr and the Soap Dodgers.

I've stated on here before that I fancied a return to sections so hope it comes to be.

A story in a paper today that a meeting of Senior Clubs discussed returning to the old League Cup format of 4 team sections.The sections would be regionalised to provide local derbies.Any change would be from 2016.

St Mirrens section,I imagine,would be Us,Killie,Ayr and the Soap Dodgers.

I've stated on here before that I fancied a return to sections so hope it comes to be.

I,too,have said the same thing and have the sections played at the beginning of the season to save playing meaningless friendlies

The same thing binned in the past because people had enough of it apparently- too many fixtures, same old clubs.

The league cup has a poorer attendance, but should be a first half of the season tournament finished by November or December. The Scottish Cup should be moved back to January to May.

Plus no doubt the groups will be like they were in the old days and you can't even them up so someone ends up unhappy at being too far away.

Are they only considering that in case any of the 'Glasgow' clubs are in different division's?...

Move to Summer Football and more people will attend....

I am dreading tomorrow night's game... my poor wee feet and thighs!

ETA.

I reckon it would have to be regional

Edited by Vambo57

No Annan?

Forgot about them! Ten groups of 4 with 1st and 2nd from the top flight getting a bye... Let me think... Let's assume Aberdeen and Celtic finish top 2 and there's no relegation from League 2 this season.... Next season could look like:

Saints

Killie

Ayr

Morton

New Club

Partick

Dumbarton

Queens Park

Dundee

Dundee Utd

Brechin

Montrose

QOTS

Accies

Annan

Stranraer

Hearts

Hibs

Livi

Berwick

ICT

Ross County

Elgin

Peterhead

Motherwell

Airdrie

Albion Rovers

East Stirling

St Johnstone

Alloa

Arbroath

Forfar

Falkirk

Clyde

Stirling Albion

Stenny

Dunfermline

Raith

Cowden

East Fife

Some groups far easier than others, and not perfect geographically. Could work though!

Best to start the games early and have them instead of a couple of preseason games. Summer football and some competitive local games, crowds should be good. Certainly not any worse than early rounds of the league cup currently are.

Edited by TopCat

Forgot about them! Ten groups of 4 with 1st and 2nd from the top flight getting a bye... Let me think... Let's assume Aberdeen and Celtic finish top 2 and there's no relegation from League 2 this season.... Next season could look like:

Saints

Killie

Ayr

Morton

New Club

Partick

Dumbarton

Queens Park

Dundee

Dundee Utd

Brechin

Montrose

QOTS

Accies

Annan

Stranraer

Hearts

Hibs

Livi

Berwick

ICT

Ross County

Elgin

Peterhead

Motherwell

Airdrie

Albion Rovers

East Stirling

St Johnstone

Alloa

Arbroath

Forfar

Falkirk

Clyde

Stirling Albion

Stenny

Dunfermline

Raith

Cowden

East Fife

Some groups far easier than others, and not perfect geographically. Could work though!

Best to start the games early and have them instead of a couple of preseason games. Summer football and some competitive local games, crowds should be good. Certainly not any worse than early rounds of the league cup currently are.

I'm sure the story said the groups would guarantee each club two games so would be groups of three. Back to the drawing board.

Motherwell, Accies and Stranraer?

Good idea IMO. The crowds will go up as away attendances will be larger, and there's always more interest in local games.

If it's regional, then surely:

Queen of the South

Stranraer

Annan (you can't just "forget them" ya fanny)

Ayr United

Killie

St.Mirren

Morton

Sevco (if they are still around)

Partick

Dumbarton

Queen's Park

Celtic

Motherwell

Hamilton

Airdrie