Biased Beeb

And if you watched the Saturday tea time version of Sportscene, presented by Paisley dwelling St Mirren supporting David Currie, you'll have heard an actual BBC employed pundit, Tom English, who despite the name hails from the same country as Paddy Bonnar, describe the red card incident as harsh and extremely borderline "going by the tweets I'm receiving from fans" and from the comments from the match reporter.

I don't particularly care where presenters or panelists come from or live, Sportscene on a Sunday night I would guess gets more viewers wanting to see the games and the panelists with footage in front of them have a higher profile than Tom English reporting what fans are tweeting.

I thought Sunday night's panel were shockingly bad and did seem biased in their analysis of the game and major incidents. Normally when a team wins only its 2nd game in 11 league games you expect them to get a bit of praise. Normally when a team with 10 men win, and outplay the 11 men you expect them to get a bit of praise. Instead on Sunday night Jonathan Sutherland began the studio discussion with a pun against an 18 year old St Mirren player: "You've got to hand it to Stevie Mallan who had a hand in both goals" leading on to a discussion which concluded the referee had "robbed" Ross County of 3 points (since when does drawing 1-1 earn you 3 points by the way?) and could cost McIntyre and Dodds their jobs. No credit was given for Mallan being up the field bravely going in for a header against a Ross County player with a high boot and studs up in the 87th minute when he was in a team with 10 men who were still pushing for the winner. Nothing was said about SMFC being the only team creating any chances until the sending off and how County had looked out of the game until then. The panel's views on the sending off have been covered at length elsewhere on this site. Similar to their coverage on Thommo's red card against Motherwell. BBC highlights of Wednesday's game don't show Ciftci's elbow on McGinn (would they really edit out Goodwin doing the same thing?) or our penalty claim in 83rd minute.

I couldn't. Never have been able to. St Mirren players - no problem, opposition - well, I don't care enough about them to learn them. Obviously the "big names" are easy as they are in the news all the time and their pictures are everywhere, also the Ross Tokleys of the world, the hate figures and obviously the really good players. Everyone else, meh.

Having spouted all that nonsense above, if it was my job, I'd learn them.

Of course , you would , it is just a matter of being professional. .

I don't think there's a huge conspiracy, I reckon there's just a disregard for any club they deem a diddy team. One of the guys on open al mics was saying he had to write down the colour of the players boots on Saturday because he couldn't see the names on the back. I don't make a living from being a Scottish football journalist an I reckon I could just about pick out any player in the spl without a name or number.

I highlighted this ages ago when we reverted to stripes on the backs of our shirts in the first JD Sports kit. Jim bloody Spence on Open All Mics actually said he was going to write to Chairmen of clubs wearing stripes to get them to go back to patches on the back. Now, maybe Spence was just kidding, but years on from that kit, and the wallopers on Open All Mics still can't recognise the players in Scotland's top flight?

Nor did they show the alleged foul that led to the equaliser but then I suppose , you can only show so many contentious issues in one 5 minute slot , in a wee magazine style show. .

They did show McGinn's header which should have been a goal.

When are JD Sports bringing out our new Green & White hooped shirts ?

JD Sports could produce that, or a light blue away shirt with 5 embroidered stars above the crest (to signify the games won by Tommy Craig at Hibernian, Charleroi and St Mirren combined), but they couldn't inflict them upon us without approval from someone within the club.

FS, time to choose, your beloved Beeb or your club.

We are now on a war path.

What a waalloper, you actual believe there's an anti St Mirren agenda don't you ? I guarantee you every fan of every other club has been saying the same thing about the programme since the year dot. Easy to feel paranoid when it's 'your' club though innit ? Why don't you just stop watching then, why do you think it's important what a piddly, pish wee highlights programme says. Why don't you just switch off your tv set and go out and do something else instead ? ;-)

What a waalloper, you actual believe there's an anti St Mirren agenda don't you ? I guarantee you every fan of every other club has been saying the same thing about the programme since the year dot. Easy to feel paranoid when it's 'your' club though innit ? Why don't you just stop watching then, why do you think it's important what a piddly, pish wee highlights programme says. Why don't you just switch off your tv set and go out and do something else instead ? ;-)

Never a truer word!

Although not great from a publically funded, national broadcaster point of view.

Never a truer word!

Although not great from a publically funded, national broadcaster point of view.

They make a web quality "highlights" programme using poorly filmed footage provided by STV news crews who somehow have managed to procure another SPFL coverage contract. Some stressed out junior producer sits in a broom cupboard on a Saturday night and Sunday morning looking for all these 'missing' camera angles people keep banging on about, only to realise they were never there in the first place. One camera guy was scratching his arse when so and so got tackled, then the other guy missed it because his battery ran out. All this from the 'national' broadcaster that keeps the lions share of it's funding for midweek FA cup games and 24/7 snooker coverage. "The BBC, they show what they want ?" Nah not really, the BBC, it shows what it gets !"

They make a web quality "highlights" programme using poorly filmed footage provided by STV news crews who somehow have managed to procure another SPFL coverage contract. Some stressed out junior producer sits in a broom cupboard on a Saturday night and Sunday morning looking for all these 'missing' camera angles people keep banging on about, only to realise they were never there in the first place. One camera guy was scratching his arse when so and so got tackled, then the other guy missed it because his battery ran out. All this from the 'national' broadcaster that keeps the lions share of it's funding for midweek FA cup games and 24/7 snooker coverage. "The BBC, they show what they want ?" Nah not really, the BBC, it shows what it gets !"

Fair do's - but when the footage they DO show shows the Arquin 'dive' and the Accies 'dive' in the space of thirty minutes, why, when they dissected the Arquin incident, didn't that bug eyed wee shite Sutherland talk about the Accies dive - which Tom Daley would have been proud of?

Not having a dig at you mate by the way.

Fair do's - but when the footage they DO show shows the Arquin 'dive' and the Accies 'dive' in the space of thirty minutes, why, when they dissected the Arquin incident, didn't that bug eyed wee shite Sutherland talk about the Accies dive - which Tom Daley would have been proud of?

Not having a dig at you mate by the way.

Presuambly because Arquin has been "sent off" twice in 7 days, therefore there's a air of contentiousness about it ? At the end of the day this is a fairly tabloid television programme we're watching, hosted by presenters who are only there because of their salary levels in comparison to those more experienced past hosts who may have known a bit more about the subject. To sum up, it's a cheap, nasty, under resourced and badly prepared programme, compared to what it has been in the past. I still don't know why some folk get there feathers so ruffled by it.

Presuambly because Arquin has been "sent off" twice in 7 days, therefore there's a air of contentiousness about it ? At the end of the day this is a fairly tabloid television programme we're watching, hosted by presenters who are only there because of their salary levels in comparison to those more experienced past hosts who may have known a bit more about the subject. To sum up, it's a cheap, nasty, under resourced and badly prepared programme, compared to what it has been in the past. I still don't know why some folk get there feathers so ruffled by it.

...cause it's the only cheap, nasty, under resourced and badly prepared programme we have showing Scottish fitba' on Cooncil' telly.