Holy Sh*t!

Also, there's no thread for this, but see what's happened at Sevco? Massively strengthened by NUFC loanees. That's some insane talent for the Championship. We really, really can't be banking on winning a play-off against them. (And there's no way Hibs are overtaking them either.)

Hopefully they'll be like 5 Adam Campbells.

Hopefully they'll be like 5 Adam Campbells.

I've seen three of them play, and they're definitely not. Ferguson is fast, left-sided winger who will take the piss at that level. Bigirimana is the sort of midfielder we should have signed, and Vuckic, while a bit more of a luxury player, is very classy. Not quite a full-on number 10, but has got a load of talent. Surprised he's not made the step up to the NUFC first team yet.

I guess that's the one downside to binning Tommy Craig, though, on balance, it's clearly still better that we did.

FFS not checking Championship football I hadn't seen that....shite ..these are very good players for that level...for our level.... I'd have been delighted for us to have either one of them.

I think our board have done for us this year.

With Ashley's increasingly strong connection with them up he road they were never coming to us, there would be nothing our board or anyone else could have done about it.

Mid Calder Saint Posted Today, 09:58

The original59er. Your maths are not great.You are forgetting we broke a Scottish Transfer Record to sign McDougall for £175k and sold him for £100k.Just an absolute shit time for Saints with a Board who quite frankly just appear to have given up on all fronts.

You are absolutely correct, and if I recall we also pushed the boat out for Dougie Somner....................... these were the days when football had bigger crowds, old firm visiting at least twice a year and a biscuit tin mentality.

The current BoD's have rightly (after the mess that we were in pre-Tesco deal) run the ship very tightly and have consistently said they will run it on a break even basis.

Scottish football is financially fu**ed at present and there is much less finance flowing round the financial corridors of all Scottish football clubs just now, and for the foreseeable future.

Just enlighten me (and believe me I'd like to be enlightened), why would the current BoD's go into debt to buy a player and put the club into debt, or for them to personally guarantee a loan to the club to buy a player who may or may not perform for the club?

I have never asked The Board to get into debt nor do i want them to.I want them now to show some drive and ambition into getting realistic money for talents like Kenny

Christ even McInnes has admitted he thought the player was out his reach.We are talking about a Board that let us drift for seven weeks mid season without a permanent manager following the shocking appointment of Craig.Then they appoint a rookie manager(not his fault) with no experience on wheeling and dealing which is what Mr Gilmour wanted.What a farce.

It's the nature of the beast. We are a small parochial team over-shadowed by the two big beasts in Glasgow which historically have drained Paisley of prospective supporters every Saturday as they drove down Glasgow Road / Paisley Road West and London Road in pursuit of something that I've never quite understood.

Nail on the head there. But (at the risk of going off topic) I often wonder, are we a small parochial team because we believe that to be the case and that it always will be so? Do we, as a club and as fans, have a small team mentality, and is that what stops us growing?

Maybe we should look upon being close to Glasgow as an advantage rather than a disadvantage. We're situated in the most densely populated area of the country, and yes there's a great deal of completion, but surely we should be trying to market ourselves to people in the greater Glasgow area, or even further afield, who are turned off by the old firm (there must be some people). That's never going to happen when we're using slogans like "one town, one team" and "St Mirren is Paisley, and Paisley is St Mirren". Personally, although I was born in Paisley, I didn't grow up there so my reasons for supporting Saints have nothing to do with civic pride. Yet, it seems like the club are only marketing themselves to people who might wish to come to games because they're from Paisley - surely these people already are going to games.

As I'm typing this, I'm realising that I'm not even sure what I'm suggesting should be done, but maybe if we see ourselves as something bigger, then we might start to attract people from outwith Paisley, and even Renfrewshire. Accepting that we are small time will only lead to others accepting the same, and (to try and get back on topic) maybe we're seen as a soft touch in the transfer market for that reason.

(By the way, Original 59er, I'm not suggesting you in particular hold any of the above opinions!)

Maybe with Kenny gone we will see Mallan, McGinn. Osbourne and our new boy boss midfield. Yes Kenny is a loss , he was a great player for us this season but I am not going into this " we are doomed " crap. We have won 3 out of last 4 aways, we have a clean sheet, we have Thommo back, this new lad, Arquin back. Cheesy and Goodwin playing well, and talent like Mallan, McGinn for rest of season.

It was always going to be a tough ask after TC, but I think boys have been brill since GT took over.

Kenny goes with my best wishes, we've had an extra 6 months more than we could have reasonably expected (and much needed due to the errors of the summer). He'll go on to be a huge player for Aberdeen before getting a bigger move elsewhere. He's kept us in a fight that realistically we should have been left behind in weeks ago.

Yes, we've been shown to be naive in the contract situation and may have been better served calling his bluff in the summer and freezing him out of the game and taking the same fee in development but without the wages being spent and we could've shopped for other players outside of the bargain basement, but it's a lesson learned.

The negotiations with McGinn need to be better handled than this going forwards, and equally with any of our youngsters we need to make sure that we don't get into this position again. This probably means that we need to accept fees for players when they are age 20 or 21.

For what it's worth I think this could be a good starting point for future sale as we now have a benchmark to start at. Every other club that has been selling players over the past seasons has managed to incrementally increase the value of fees received, but all had to start reasonably low.

Edited by madball

Also, there's no thread for this, but see what's happened at Sevco? Massively strengthened by NUFC loanees. That's some insane talent for the Championship. We really, really can't be banking on winning a play-off against them. (And there's no way Hibs are overtaking them either.)

I agree with your view on Sevco strengthening, but Hibs don't need to overtake them in the league - just beat them in the play-offs. Whilst still the underdogs, they have more chance of doing that than finishing above them, I think.

Kenny goes with my best wishes, we've had an extra 6 months more than we could have reasonably expected (and much needed due to the errors of the summer). He'll go on to be a huge player for Aberdeen before getting a bigger move elsewhere. He's kept us in a fight that realistically we should have been left behind in weeks ago.

Yes, we've been shown to be naive in the contract situation and may have been better served calling his bluff in the summer and freezing him out of the game and taking the same fee in development but without the wages being spent and we could've shopped for other players outside of the bargain basement, but it's a lesson learned.

The negotiations with McGinn need to be better handled than this going forwards, and equally with any of our youngsters we need to make sure that we don't get into this position again. This probably means that we need to accept fees for players when they are age 20 or 21.

For what it's worth I think this could be a good starting point for future sale as we now have a benchmark to start at. Every other club that has been selling players over the past seasons has managed to incrementally increase the value of fees received, but all had to start reasonably low.

For whats is worth, the form guide says St Mirren. Last 8 P 8 W 3 D 1 L 4, Well have 2 wins 1 draws but only that draw in last 6, County have not won in last 10 4 draws in that time, only Celtic can boost a better away record since December, if only we had even 10 points at home , but I feel Caley will be our day. Dons must be crapping themselves, sticky Goody on Kenny sorted. So that's 10 points in last 8 games, when we managed only 8 in first 17

Edited by DougJamie

Yes we have been naive but what makes you think it's a lesson learned?

We have been a small-minded club for quite a considerable time when considering we have one of the biggest potential fan bases in Scotland - and don't give me the nonsense about being too close to Glasgow. Even Aberdeen and the Dundee teams sadly lose potential fans to the Old Firm.

Are we unique in Scotland in being forced into selling players at less than a quarter of their worth?

The more small minded we are, the more players of any ability will hold the club to ransom.

We have been a small-minded club for quite a considerable time when considering we have one of the biggest potential fan bases in Scotland - and don't give me the nonsense about being too close to Glasgow. Even Aberdeen and the Dundee teams sadly lose potential fans to the Old Firm.

Are we unique in Scotland in being forced into selling players at less than a quarter of their worth?

The more small minded we are, the more players of any ability will hold the club to ransom.

We've never filled Greenhill Rd.

Maybe with Kenny gone we will see Mallan, McGinn. Osbourne and our new boy boss midfield. Yes Kenny is a loss , he was a great player for us this season but I am not going into this " we are doomed " crap. We have won 3 out of last 4 aways, we have a clean sheet, we have Thommo back, this new lad, Arquin back. Cheesy and Goodwin playing well, and talent like Mallan, McGinn for rest of season.

It was always going to be a tough ask after TC, but I think boys have been brill since GT took over.

We just might flourish with natural right sided and natural left sided skillful players. It could even be that we'll be a better team. That doesn't mean we shouldn't be upset at shedding our top scorer and, as it stood, lynchpin in midfield for a paltry sum.

I hope we find out that it was a very well disguised blessing and the names mentioned step up to the plate.

Edited by stlucifer

Well I hope your right.At present Osbourne is clearly injury prone and very rarely lasts 90mins.As for Thompson I thought he was fortunate to stay on the pitch so long at Firhill.For me he has some way to go in terms of match fitness and should be used sparingly.As I have said previously this s shit time to be a Saints fan at this moment there will be at least three season tickets unused for the ICT match.I am just so depressed with all things St Mirren at present.

This. Hamilton Accies and Motherwell are about 5 miles from Sellik Park, and Lanarkshire is a hotbed of choosing the green or blue side of the divide. Partick Thistle are in the same goddam' city as the 'OF'.

Being in the shadow of the Glasgow giants has fcuk-all to do with anything. We are a smallish club for sure, but Celtic and Rangers have hee-haw to do with us getting Jack Shit for McLean in comparison to Accies deals for their young talent.

St Mirren have no divine right to anything, but by Christ, watching Accies, Partick, St Johnstone, Dundee and Inverness making us look like the SPFLs poor relation on and off the park is heartbreaking.

The stadium move, the clearing of the debt, the modern facilities supposedly vital in attracting better players, the 2013 cup win, the unbroken years of top flight experience.... We should at least be where the fakes have worked hard to get to. We are fcuking ourselves up from within.

This. Hamilton Accies and Motherwell are about 5 miles from Sellik Park, and Lanarkshire is a hotbed of choosing the green or blue side of the divide. Partick Thistle are in the same goddam' city as the 'OF'.

Being in the shadow of the Glasgow giants has fcuk-all to do with anything. We are a smallish club for sure, but Celtic and Rangers have hee-haw to do with us getting Jack Shit for McLean in comparison to Accies deals for their young talent.

St Mirren have no divine right to anything, but by Christ, watching Accies, Partick, St Johnstone, Dundee and Inverness making us look like the SPFLs poor relation on and off the park is heartbreaking.

The stadium move, the clearing of the debt, the modern facilities supposedly vital in attracting better players, the 2013 cup win, the unbroken years of top flight experience.... We should at least be where the fakes have worked hard to get to. We are fcuking ourselves up from within.

..................and have done ever since we moved from decrepit Love street. Got on an even keel and then would appear to have been trying to sink ourselves ever since. It's not even amusing to suggest it's the St Mirren method, ho ho , its diddyclubsville.com, its just rank rotten lack of pro active effective Club management for a team representing Scotland's largest town. But even worse, my old man could post almost the same thing looking back on his Saints supporting years.

It seems to be in St Mirrens dna , almost an obligation to implode just when things threaten to get half way decent.

I'm sick of it.

10 and 11 respectively.

pozbaird. just about the most sensible post I have read today.

Disagree! Drew's thread about the Dundee United statement wins hands-down. Our directors should have been engaging with the support in exactly the same way. The Arabs board have responded quickly to losing GMS and Armstrong.

We have lost our top scorer, one of our best players, like the Arabs, to a rival club. However we also bagged an unpopular manager, waited seven weeks to announce Teale is here until the season end, there is ongoing speculation about a takeover, we are shipping out a ton of players, we are in a perilous league situation and haven't won a home league game all season - yet nothing whatsoever? Not even an attempt to do an Accies or ICT style cheap entry deal to get a bigger home support in to try and get some bums on seats and create an atmosphere to maybe help get that home win? Zero? Nada?

Quite unbelievable actually. Can't think of another business who would suddenly lose the power of speech under such circumstances.

I actually agree with most of your points pozbaird.

I was not suggesting that being so close to Glasgow is the reason for our present state.

Yes the BoD did a good job in getting us on a level footing several years ago but it has turned out to be a missed opportunity when we failed to build on that situation.

Ever since, apart from the 2013 league cup triumph, (which was another failure to build on the success we had then) the impression coming from the BoD was to cut our cloth according to our means - which in the BoD's view was to be able to compete at a level below where we are at present.

Agreed we have no divine right to anything - but I was just making the point that based on our potential fanbase we should be competing in the top six.

There has been no ambition shown by the BoD to aspire to greater things which is why the depressing stadium at Greenhill Road has been designed for failure rather than success and why it has never been filled as pointed out by pod.

Perhaps if we were situated in Dingwall, rather than Paisley, our present plight could be looked on as success.