Holy Sh*t!

Now that we've sold Kenny McLean I'd rather get a CH/defensive midfielder which would give us a bit of cover at the back. Assuming we continue in a sorta 4-1-4-1 formation this would let us play Kelly-Mallan-McGinn-Dayton in midfield with Osbourne , Goodwin or even A.N.Other in the holding role and Thompson up front. we could then bring on Arquin either as a replacement for Thompson or for a midfielder if we have to push for an equalizer/winner.

Obviously it's disappointing to lose KM but depending on the quality of his replacement (assuming there is one) the overall balance of the squad might be better.

PS - I'm sure it's not that long since many were posting "he's crap"! bangin.gif

Edited by Bud the Baker

Nope.

You'll recall that Ricky Gillies almost single-handedly kept us up last time we were relgated from the top flight. Arguably, big daft Kirk all but kept us up at the end of our first season back.

I firmly believe that a single player can have this type of impact. McLean has been what makes this team tick (however erratic that ticking has been). Without his input, I reckon we would be sitting at the foot of the table, and with him gone, we could lose shape and momentum.

It is only my view, but I think this could prove to be disastrous.

It's a blow, yes. Is it such a blow that it will now require a 'miracle' to keep us up? No, that's ridiculous. We are 6 points ahead of Ross County who occupy the only automatic relegation spot. Us losing Kenny McLean doesn't suddenly make them better.

It also gives us scope to bring in another player today, and with the return of Thompson and the signings of Dayton and Arquin we have options going forward that we didn't have a month ago. These experienced forward players will have to step up and I think they will. It's bad news certainly, but it's far from Armageddon.

It's a blow, yes. Is it such a blow that it will now require a 'miracle' to keep us up? No, that's ridiculous. We are 6 points ahead of Ross County who occupy the only automatic relegation spot. Us losing Kenny McLean doesn't suddenly make them better.

It also gives us scope to bring in another player today, and with the return of Thompson and the signings of Dayton and Arquin we have options going forward that we didn't have a month ago. These experienced forward players will have to step up and I think they will. It's bad news certainly, but it's far from Armageddon.

They don't have to be any better. The playoffs, if we end up there, won't be easy.

If it is £300K then it is a disgrace, the board risking our status in the top league for £50K. Mclean himself leaving the club that developed him midway through a relegation battle for an extra grand a week or whatever. If a good bid came in from the championship the I'd understand.. But Aberdeen? Having a good season yeh but look where motherwell are this season after finishing 2nd last year.

Whether it is through incompetence with a stupidly low release clause, or just laziness once again, the board can really go f**k themselves now.

300k for McLean when we have seen what Dundee Utd, Rangers and Hamilton have picked up for players that haven't had half the impact.

What a joke. Aberdeen will sell him for a million next season no doubt.

It almost seems like they want us to be relegated.

Whether it is through incompetence with a stupidly low release clause, or just laziness once again, the board can really go f**k themselves now.

The club don't set the release clause, the players agent does. I would imagine they set the release clause at the level of compensation we were due and no higher. Players hold all the cards these days unless you guarantee them a long, long contract.

Look, I'm just upset, okay! I can't help it, and you aren't making me feel any better.

Never mind the board get rid of another player they gave a bumper wage too with no time to replace him!

Given the fact that relegation would cost us more than 300k and Kenny has been our best player all season so the sale baffles me!

We have now let go off Caldwell,Marwood,Plummer,Drury and sold McClean for pennies!

We have replaced them with a free contract Striker and 6 month loan deal and have less than 12 hours to sign new player's!!

Well done board penny pinching! Might just cost us relegation and then how much will the club be worth?

The club don't set the release clause, the players agent does. I would imagine they set the release clause at the level of compensation we were due and no higher. Players hold all the cards these days unless you guarantee them a long, long contract.

The release clause is just like any other part of the contract. It's arrived at through negotiation. The agent doesn't 'set' it, the club can always say no, and the cycle starts again.