Top Scorer Left At The Club After The January Window

I'd like to apologise to shull for boring him and reacting like a drama queen to yesterday's transfer dealings. I now look forward in confidence to the remainder of the season where we sit in 10th place, ahead of Motherwell on goal difference and with the 2 teams below us with games in hand to play. I'm sure it will prove to have been a shrewd masterstroke to sell Kenny McLean for buttons when he has scored over one third of the team's goals in the league, and we'll be fine replacing him with an 18 year old loanee who will be off in the summer again, and our fate will be safe in the hands of Ball, Kelly, Mallan and Arquin adding to their 2 goal this season so far while our defence seeks to build on its one clean sheet.

Sorry once again for pointing out that after this window's dealings the remainder of the squad have scored 10 goals between them in 25 games.

I'd like to apologise to shull for boring him and reacting like a drama queen to yesterday's transfer dealings. I now look forward in confidence to the remainder of the season where we sit in 10th place, ahead of Motherwell on goal difference and with the 2 teams below us with games in hand to play. I'm sure it will prove to have been a shrewd masterstroke to sell Kenny McLean for buttons when he has scored over one third of the team's goals in the league, and we'll be fine replacing him with an 18 year old loanee who will be off in the summer again, and our fate will be safe in the hands of Ball, Kelly, Mallan and Arquin adding to their 2 goal this season so far while our defence seeks to build on its one clean sheet.

Sorry once again for pointing out that after this window's dealings the remainder of the squad have scored 10 goals between them in 25 games.

Is Thommo injured again.

I posted on another thread but I think it worth reiterating.

"I was of the opinion that the fee was too low but I see where you're coming from. If Kenny had stayed fit before and during the last two January windows we were all expecting his departure. After careful consideration and accepting what was reported on the O.S. I concur that it was outwith the boards control. I think we're all just upset that our apparent only saviour was "wheeked" from under our noses."

Is Thommo injured again.

Not that I'm aware of. As far as I can remember Thommo hasn't scored this season or looked like scoring in the few games he has started. I'm not even sure if this season he has managed a shot on target. We have 13 league games left this season and with him just coming back from another injury and needing game time to get his match fitness back I am not counting on Thommo to play ever game or score more than a couple of goals at most.

Not that I'm aware of. As far as I can remember Thommo hasn't scored this season or looked like scoring in the few games he has started. I'm not even sure if this season he has managed a shot on target. We have 13 league games left this season and with him just coming back from another injury and needing game time to get his match fitness back I am not counting on Thommo to play ever game or score more than a couple of goals at most.

Puzzled?

You doubt a guy who's scored, what 15 goals a season, for the last couple of years, to score more than 2 goals, at most?

Oh well, suppose you're entitled to your opinion, as daft as it sounds.

I posted on another thread but I think it worth reiterating.

"I was of the opinion that the fee was too low but I see where you're coming from. If Kenny had stayed fit before and during the last two January windows we were all expecting his departure. After careful consideration and accepting what was reported on the O.S. I concur that it was outwith the boards control. I think we're all just upset that our apparent only saviour was "wheeked" from under our noses."

I've read the statement put out by the club on McLean's sale and do wonder if there was actually a written release clause which would trigger a situation where we had to sell McLean. I find it surprising that the statement speaks in general terms and mentions Kenny kept his side of the agreement by trying hard and performing well this season, if there was a release clause why not just say that in the official statement and it would end all the debate about whether there was a clause in the contract or not or whether it was a gentleman's agreement etc. Even if there was a clause which limited our asking price I think there was still a case for saying to Aberdeen "alright you are going to get McLean at a bargain price but we want you to sweeten the deal by throwing in Barry Robson / Willo Flood / a defender on loan until the end of the season, just so that it doesn't look like you've taken us to the cleaners on this transfer and to appease our fans".

Puzzled?

You doubt a guy who's scored, what 15 goals a season, for the last couple of years, to score more than 2 goals, at most?

Oh well, suppose you're entitled to your opinion, as daft as it sounds.

I doubt Thommo's ability to score more than a few goals this season based on the fact he is on his 3rd comeback from injury this season at the age of 36 and the fact he seemed well short of his usual standards in the Partick Thistle game. It looked as if he was once again being thrown back into the starting XI due to Arquin being suspended and Ball and Reilly not being rated as striking options by Teale. It is looking like it could be March before Thommo hits his stride properly, assuming he can stay injury free for the rest of the season. We might be lucky and he may start scoring before he gets fully fit or recaptures his form but I don't think we can expect him to score 5-10 goals between now and the end of the season.

I've read the statement put out by the club on McLean's sale and do wonder if there was actually a written release clause which would trigger a situation where we had to sell McLean. I find it surprising that the statement speaks in general terms and mentions Kenny kept his side of the agreement by trying hard and performing well this season, if there was a release clause why not just say that in the official statement and it would end all the debate about whether there was a clause in the contract or not or whether it was a gentleman's agreement etc. Even if there was a clause which limited our asking price I think there was still a case for saying to Aberdeen "alright you are going to get McLean at a bargain price but we want you to sweeten the deal by throwing in Barry Robson / Willo Flood / a defender on loan until the end of the season, just so that it doesn't look like you've taken us to the cleaners on this transfer and to appease our fans".

Dibble...

You're living in a parallel universe if you think anything could end the grumping of so many Saints fans.

Even though you seem to have seen the light on this, you then go on to another quibble!

McLean has gone. Let it go.

• 3 weeks later...