When Will You Youngsters Bloody Learn?

Deadline day dissapointment.

Every year an air of excitement surrounds the user's of this forum, every year the rumour mill bustles, every year spurious sources are quoted linking Paisley's best ever club with a number of players of varying quality, every year fans of our wonderful club sit in front of keyboards with fingers, legs and sometimes eyes crossed in hope of that big signing.

Every year we are left dissapointed. When will you youngsters bloody learn?

I too dared to hope, I too watched our squad size reduced by the very brave and bold Gary Teale, I too looked in in hope that the wages were being cleared to allow those mouth watering signings, the type that capture the imagination (the next Dan McGarry, the next Ismael Gonclaves, the next Dunky Walker, the next Barry McLaughlin, the next Tommy Bryceland, the next Norrie McWhirter, the next Steve Clarke, the next Iain Munro).

I too am left somewhat downbeat that a centre half (or two, we really need two) is not being paraded to a Paisley dailly express led fanfare.

When will we learn? When will we ever got to an enjoy a deadline day?

Scunnered.

What is my fellow forum user's thoughts on what I perceive as the perennial disapointment of transfer deadline day?

Just a total waste of a Transfer Window.We have no proper scouting network in place.We lose seven of the original first team squad including the loss of our best and most influential player at the most crucial stage.We bring in three short term deals including two loan signings one of which is untried 18year old youth team player. What a shit time for good loyal Saints fans.

Deadline day dissapointment.

Every year an air of excitement surrounds the user's of this forum, every year the rumour mill bustles, every year spurious sources are quoted linking Paisley's best ever club with a number of players of varying quality, every year fans of our wonderful club sit in front of keyboards with fingers, legs and sometimes eyes crossed in hope of that big signing.

Every year we are left dissapointed. When will you youngsters bloody learn?

I too dared to hope, I too watched our squad size reduced by the very brave and bold Gary Teale, I too looked in in hope that the wages were being cleared to allow those mouth watering signings, the type that capture the imagination (the next Dan McGarry, the next Ismael Gonclaves, the next Dunky Walker, the next Barry McLaughlin, the next Tommy Bryceland, the next Norrie McWhirter, the next Steve Clarke, the next Iain Munro).

I too am left somewhat downbeat that a centre half (or two, we really need two) is not being paraded to a Paisley dailly express led fanfare.

When will we learn? When will we ever got to an enjoy a deadline day?

Scunnered.

What is my fellow forum user's thoughts on what I perceive as the perennial disapointment of transfer deadline day?

If I'm included in the youngsters bit, thank you very much indeed. It's been a year or two since I was thus addressed. I find the transfer day fiasco totally tedious in every respect. I desperately hope for something good to come St.Mirren's way as happened with Isma. Was he the only success in recent years? Equally boring is Sky TV's all day coverage of last day events (or should I say lack of them) in England. Jim White's enthusiasm is admirable but talk about flogging a dead horse.

The thing with Kenny is an absolute bummer. Incidentally, I wanted the next Jackie Copland.

We wouldn't need to worry about any individual transfer window deadline day being particularly disappointing if the people running the club were capable of building upon the stadium move debt free status, the 2013 cup win, and a long unbroken stretch as a top flight club to establish us in the mould of the Fake Saints for example - solid, not relegation fodder year after year.

Baffling managerial appointments, shite like Bahoken, a never ending string of kid loanees....

The transfer window doesn't really mean much to St Mirren (other than for losing our best players and getting in loaness). Anyone going to sign for us would be a free agent anyway and can be paraded to no fan fair whatsoever at any point of the season. And then paid off 6 months later.

On a positive note, I do think we got 4 players out of the squad who were not figuring in the first team and that was sound business. I'm sure everyone knew that McLean was bound to leave, but the price doesn't compensate the loss.

I never expected a marquee signing, but I was hoping for a deal that showed some imagination. To paraphrase Tedious Tom I was hoping for the next 'Weir/Scanlon' type of deal where the club traded a prized asset but kept the team strong.

To sum up, we've repaired some damage from the summer transfer window, and brought a little seasoned experience. The price for McLean, (6 times less than Armstrong), is a very flat note.

Did Motherwell, County or Thistle enjoy a better transfer window remains to be seen.

Edited by Bloomsbury Bud

Generally I agree with TT.................................... the lack of appreciation of our leaky defensive capabilities baffles me to the extent that I now reluctantly have to agree with the long-held belief that a certain MM has an unhealthy amount of support from on high.

Yes we had a blank sheet against us on Friday............... hip, hip, hooray............ but it won't last long. We have a suspect ship in that department and I really for the life of me can't understand why we don't have a good shoe in if there is either an injury / suspension / loss of form that behaves like a good old fashioned Centre Half and clears his lines (and commands the penalty box at corners).

More mid-fielders and wingers are fine and dandy if you have solidity at the back..................... something we don't have and won't have with the personnel currently available to the Manager.

I think the transfer system is shite in any event. It favours predatory clubs with the means to step in at the 11th hour and make an offer that a diddy club perhaps can't refuse. Said diddy club is then buggered in terms of replacing their departing prized asset on account of the lack of time and options.

That we even think deadline day will be a positive experience is an indication of our collective f**kwittery.

Edited by Drew

I suppose if looking for some kind of solace it could be considered that although McLean has more or less carried the team at times this season, he had little competition as most were shite under Craig.

Kenny himself struggled to shine under Craig.

Teale brought the best out in McLean and has improved the performance level throughout the team.

That gives me hope.

Interesting, interesting indeed.

We really ought to learn that supporting our wee fabulous club does bring a certain inevitable disappointment cometh the transfer window of January.

However with the news of this young West Hammersmith chap having joined us (not sure if this is confirmed or not) I hold out hope for a centre half of Jackie Copeland/Barry McLaughlin/Scott Cuthbert proportions rather than Lex Baille/Roddy Manley/Neil Orr proportions.

My mood has lifted from the darkness and I now fully expect Gary Teale to be the managerial gem that I envisage and my great little club to leave Motherwell and Kilmarnock to fight out that second play-off place.

I will always be a Saints fan((have been for last sixty years)but I am sorry to say that after not witnessing a home win all season the Craig appointment the on/off sale of the club seven weeks without the appointment of a permanent manager yesterdays events my enthusiasm has all but gone. I may feel differently later but at this moment I am just so depressed this season.I was really upset listening to McInnes on the TV talking about signing the best player in Scotland according to him for real value for money.What a bloody steal.

Hey let's move on .... shit happens. A year ago we would have probably taken the cash for Kenny and no one would have batted an eyelid. Timing of deal was shit though and our player contracts are obviously pish if Mclean's is an example.

We have some fresh blood in .... all young guys with a point to prove. Let's get behind them and give them 100% backing. Got a feeling Snoopy is going to be a good yin

I'd agree, losing McLean was a sore one but he'll be forgotten about soon enough. We have a few new faces at the club, some striking options, so assuming Teale hasn't brought in complete diddies we are stronger than a couple of months ago.

Onwards and Upwards!

it does remind me of Peter Weir going to Aberdeen all these years ago. But oh how we could have done with a modern day Ian Scanlon coming our way. Looking at it fromm here without all the club's financial details, it does seem there was scope for that ie fringe Aberdeen players that could have strengthened us.

What happened to Mark Wilson of Dundee Utd? people were saying "we don't need him, he's not a centre half" but if he was here then he could play right back allowing Naismith to play where many say is his best position....centre half.

The Snoopy chap could be very good and spark us to a good run of form and results or... notConcalves or Bahoken just luck how these things turn out.

Just because Ross County brought in 6 players doesn't men they have strengthened. That has worked for them in the past but that doesn't mean en mass recruiting will work in 2015.

McGinn, Mallen and McLear, with Snoopy, could all up their level of play and lift us to safety. I think that is what will happen.

COYS

I've always thought we had the nucleus of a decent squad even in TC's time. They just needed organised, energised and motivated. GT's come in, has done that and got rid of some of the wasters. Losing McLean was a blow, but he's brought in four attacking players in Arquin, Dayton, Snoopy & Saddlier and may be looking at other's, hopefully including at least 1 central defender. Allied to what we already have, it makes a decent quality squad for our league, even if it isn't the biggest.

Contrast that to Motherwell and County. Both seem to be bringing in players left, right and centre, but I've never heard of most of them. They may get lucky with one or two of them, but I get the impression of panic and desperation at both clubs. We're the team with a bit more quality in the squad and it's showing in terms of recent results.

Motherwell have Sutton which could be the difference. A fit again Thommo could swing it for us but that may be a step too far for the great man to perform like he did last 2 seasons (older now and questions on his recovery).

Losing McLean is a blow but I felt worse when the likes of Ally McLeod, Gordon McQueen, Bobby McKean and Frank Macca left. It happens and we will eventually find or produce another quality player. It is and always has been the St Mirren way. If we can bring in a decent centre back then I think we will be OK.

Motherwell have Sutton which could be the difference. A fit again Thommo could swing it for us but that may be a step too far for the great man to perform like he did last 2 seasons (older now and questions on his recovery.

It's time fans stopped worrying about his age and let Thommo think for himself. He will be fully cognisant of how he feels and is responding.

He doesn't need doubters or doom-mongers adding to the clamour of the clock.

AFAIK he doesn't have dementia or Alzheimer's, so he's still fully aware of where the goals are.

I'd bet that right now Thommo's still as fast, agile and nimble as the great Yards was in his prime! And yet Yards could still rattle the rigging, make the net bulge, ping them in...

Thommo will also be well aware of any limitations... And will KNOW when it's time to stop.

Besides ...

It's ageist crap - just as illegal as racism, sexism and homophobia.....

Edited by bluto

It's time fans stopped worrying about his age and let Thommo think for himself. He will be fully cognisant of how he feels and is responding.

He doesn't need doubters or doom-mongers adding to the clamour of the clock.

AFAIK he doesn't have dementia or Alzheimer's, so he's still fully aware of where the goals are.

I'd bet that right now Thommo's still as fast, agile and nimble as the great Yards was in his prime! And yet Yards could still rattle the rigging, make the net bulge, ping them in...

Thommo will also be well aware of any limitations... And will KNOW when it's time to stop.

Besides ...

It's ageist crap - just as illegal as racism, sexism and homophobia.....

Ffs what side of the bed did you get out of this morning . I am not implying Thommo won't do a job but rather putting an 'if' scenario based on him not playing this season, his age (and it does impact on footballers at the end of their career), recovering from a number of key injuries and match fitness. I love the big man and hope he cracks in the goals assisted by our new signings.

Ffs what side of the bed did you get out of this morning .

(GOOD SPOT! POSSIBLY RELEVANT TO MY REACTION... :P )

I am not implying Thommo won't do a job but rather putting an 'if' scenario based on him not playing this season, his age (and it does impact on footballers at the end of their career), recovering from a number of key injuries and match fitness. I love the big man and hope he cracks in the goals assisted by our new signings.

Sorry. I wasn't picking on just you - there have been several posts making unsubstantiable allegations about his age. And it's just the blind mob assertions that 'he's past it' that I'm reacting against.

He has had injuries. He is healthy and can/will recover.

His age may well feature at some time - but don't let that be another negative feature of Sains' fans posting...

Not yet, anyway. :)