This Snp Candidate Just Oozes Class

Stuart Dickson

True, but that's why the Scottish Parliament is a complete waste of time. We are spreading the talent pool far too thinly and there are a lot of MSP's who should never have got past their local town hall claiming a rather large wage plus expenses.

Exactly the same scenario exists in the UK with respect to MP's IMO.

Take the entire membership of UKIP for example. I shudder to think how many of these racist oafs will be claiming a wage at the expense of the UK tax payer after May.

True, but that's why the Scottish Parliament is a complete waste of time. We are spreading the talent pool far too thinly and there are a lot of MSP's who should never have got past their local town hall claiming a rather large wage plus expenses.

Agreed, and this was something the electorate at the last election took notice of by reducing one particular party's representation down to fewer than the average number of goals per game against St Mirren this season with a further reduction to come shortly.

By all accounts these tweets about hating Celtic dated back to when she was 14. Just goes to show what depths the likes of the Record will stoop to smear anything that isn't Labour.

And we all remember Gordon Brown being caught off camera labelling some old dear down in Yorkshire a 'bigot' when confronted during the latter days of the last election campaign. Conveniently forgotten by the Record.

Expect more of this shit during the next three months.

Celtic tweet was Oct 2013. I will leave you to do the maths. She wasn't 14.

Celtic tweet was Oct 2013. I will leave you to do the maths. She wasn't 14.

I did say 'by all accounts'.

Even so, said tweet was nearly 18 months ago. It still doesn't take away from the fact what depths MSM will stoop to in smearing SNP candidates.

All in all, I don't live in Paisley these days but still take a vested interest in what is happening politically in my home town. I honestly don't know what this girl is capable of, particularly taking on what is unarguably a political heavyweight in Dooglie. I'm sure the local SNP will have done their homework on Mhairi and think she is capable of booting him out. Will be an interesting one.

I'm an SNP voter but this girl really doesn't come across well in that video. Not sure how she was selected when we finally have the chance of kicking Labour out of Paisley.

Hating Celtic though is of course perfectly fine!

Mhairi Black was elected to stand in the constituency by the members of the three SNP branches in the Westminster Parliamentary constituency. Three people stood for selection, although one withdrew for personal reasons and Mhairi was chosen by a simple majority of the 1500 or so members of the three branches, by secret ballot.

I'm an SNP voter but this girl really doesn't come across well in that video. Not sure how she was selected when we finally have the chance of kicking Labour out of Paisley.

Hating Celtic though is of course perfectly fine!

So, you are a "voter" but not a member? Why didn't you nominate yourself?

Unlike the RedTories, it is 1 vote per member - no union involvement!- Democracy at work!

I meant ask why she was selected rather than how.

It's going to be difficult for her to win over those sitting on the fence or looking for an experienced local candidate to represent the town rather than voting along party lines.

as a SNP supporter, I am pretty annoyed that the local party has picked someone as lacking in experience as this

Nothing I can do as i am a member of another branch, my biggest gripe with the London parties is the rise of the "straight from Uni" career politician who is only in it to get into some or other parliament and it is disappointing that we have let one get to this stage in the selection process.

Bad move, in my opinion

Edited by beyond our ken

It's going to be difficult for her to win over those sitting on the fence or looking for an experienced local candidate to represent the town rather than voting along party lines.

Because she got more votes than those who weren't selected? I think they call it democracy but I could be wrong.

She was selected largely on her record of campaigning for the referendum, that and her outstanding performance at the hustings for selection.

She was selected largely on her record of campaigning for the referendum, that and her outstanding performance at the hustings for selection.

"outstanding"? Really? You mean the mass rally where she stood up on stage and told the audience that she wanted to "nut some smirking Labour councillors".

There's a picture emerging of the kind of level of voter the SNP wants to appeal to and it appears that they reckon their best prospects are at gutter level. You would have thought they would have learned from the referendum and the regular opinion polls that showed that Alex Salmond and the SNP were not proving popular even amongst many ardent Yes voters. Instead it appears Sturgeon learned f**k all. :rolleyes:

My guess is Douglas Alexander will, aided and abetted by the Daily Record, retain the seat. I am inclined to think that Black's age will ultimately go against her. Oaksoft's point that candidates should ideally have life experience before taking office is a perfectly reasonable reaction and many voters will share it. In my opinion seeing Cameron, Clegg and Osbourne in high office proves the point that politics would benefit from people who have real experience in health, business, education, law, trade unions etc, our senior politicians came straight from PR and 'Think Tanks' and then get selected.

"outstanding"? Really? You mean the mass rally where she stood up on stage and told the audience that she wanted to "nut some smirking Labour councillors".

There's a picture emerging of the kind of level of voter the SNP wants to appeal to and it appears that they reckon their best prospects are at gutter level. You would have thought they would have learned from the referendum and the regular opinion polls that showed that Alex Salmond and the SNP were not proving popular even amongst many ardent Yes voters. Instead it appears Sturgeon learned f**k all. rolleyes.gif

No, I don't mean that event at all. I meant exactly what I wrote. The event you have seen the video for was a Hope Over Fear Rally, not an SNP event. The husting was an opportunity for SNP members to listen to and question the prospective candidates for selection. Please don't use your ignorance to try to put words into my mouth.

The one done by Lord Wotsisface was. Did he not poll 1000 folk in 15 (I think) seats which were currently held by Labour and the Libdems and all but 1 were looking like SNP. The Labour ones were mainly in Glasgow. IIRC his results matched the other polls which, I think, also took seats into account. Not really been paying that much attention to them as I do not put a lot of faith in polls, so I could be wrong.

Lord Ashcroft. Yes, your understanding is the same as mine:

http://lordashcroftpolls.com/2015/02/scottish-battleground/

Paisley South is one of the seats Ashcroft researched, but I think the research is before Black was selected.

Edited by Bloomsbury Bud