Old Football Grounds

HSS

• 4 weeks later...

3 minutes ago, Cumbriansaint72 said:

Near to where I'm at is good old borough park, home of workington afc or workington reds as they are also known. The stadium (if you can call it that) is a step back in time to the 60s, only thing missing is old wooden stand.

http://www.stmirrenprogrammes.co.uk/StMirren/STM_Match_Details.php?Season=1974&GameID=197408030

38 minutes ago, HSS said:

Not long after that at the end of 76/77 season were voted out of the league. Managed now by ex saint, Danny Grainger, very, very non league but still decent enough for a football fix.

6 hours ago, eastlandssaint said:

Looks a cracking old place that. Love the 'character' ☺ of the older grounds and pleased I grew up watching the game at some good old venues. Sadly they are all being gradually replaced by functional but dull new builds. On the non league scene down here, I get to the odd Dunston game. They're  only a few miles from me. Sure they're in the same league as Workington. Will look out for the fixture over there. Wouldn't mind a trip, tier restrictions allowing of course.

17 hours ago, john scott said:

Looks a cracking old place that. Love the 'character' ☺ of the older grounds and pleased I grew up watching the game at some good old venues. Sadly they are all being gradually replaced by functional but dull new builds. On the non league scene down here, I get to the odd Dunston game. They're  only a few miles from me. Sure they're in the same league as Workington. Will look out for the fixture over there. Wouldn't mind a trip, tier restrictions allowing of course.

Is that their ground that's near fed brewery and metrocentre 

Cheers, thought it was, used to go past it when driving our metrocentre service from west Cumbria in late 90s

Anyway got another good one

Giant axe (Lancaster city)

Proper old ground as well, good club as let us use pitch,etc for charity friendly match against Morecambe depot. Only was last year but seems like longer.😦

Had a train trip to a Barrow game booked before football was halted. Trying to get round the 92 league grounds,  although I think it's down to 90 since the demise of Bury and Coventry sharing with Birmingham. Currently on 75 at their current homes. Was gonna risk going to Barrow in anticipation of them hopefully gaining a league two place but had to cancel. 

5 minutes ago, john scott said:

Had a train trip to a Barrow game booked before football was halted. Trying to get round the 92 league grounds,  although I think it's down to 90 since the demise of Bury and Coventry sharing with Birmingham. Currently on 75 at their current homes. Was gonna risk going to Barrow in anticipation of them hopefully gaining a league two place but had to cancel. 

Holker street ground slightly more modern than borough park

1 hour ago, john scott said:

Got to some few years back when driving a supporters bus with Carlisle utd. 

Was asked about those times if I would take gretna fans to hampden for semi final of cup, told boss at time that no chance, I'd take them to newcastle shopping instead. My boss looking horrified at this asked why to which I replied  "they put st mirren out on quarters", his reply............FFS!!

5 minutes ago, Cumbriansaint72 said:

Got to some few years back when driving a supporters bus with Carlisle utd. 

Was asked about those times if I would take gretna fans to hampden for semi final of cup, told boss at time that no chance, I'd take them to newcastle shopping instead. My boss looking horrified at this asked why to which I replied  "they put st mirren out on quarters", his reply............FFS!!

😃

1 hour ago, StanleySaint said:

Did enjoy going to Blyth Spartans, Whitley Bay and Brunton Park in one week in the Tommy Craig era pre season.

We went to both pre season friendlies at brunton park sitting in line with halfway line, mrs CS home side of line and me away side. 😄😄

11 hours ago, StanleySaint said:

Did enjoy going to Blyth Spartans, Whitley Bay and Brunton Park in one week in the Tommy Craig era pre season.

Aye, was a good week that. Was at the 1st two. Carlisle was my first ever away game with Newcastle. Went as a 15 year old in 1982. Terrible showing and a 2-0 defeat in the old 2nd division. The regular away trippers around me were seething at such a display but I was just thrilled to be at an actual away game. Can remember one visit not too many years ago for a 'friendly' when we received a less than warm welcome. Despite that I generally want Carlisle to do well.

12 minutes ago, john scott said:

Aye, was a good week that. Was at the 1st two. Carlisle was my first ever away game with Newcastle. Went as a 15 year old in 1982. Terrible showing and a 2-0 defeat in the old 2nd division. The regular away trippers around me were seething at such a display but I was just thrilled to be at an actual away game. Can remember one visit not too many years ago for a 'friendly' when we received a less than warm welcome. Despite that I generally want Carlisle to do well.

Carlisle is a shockingly bad run team to be honest, a good season in eyes of owners is making play offs or just missing out, don't get promoted cos that cost money even before covid.  They have got off well this season but I'd say 10 games to go they will change as usual.

I used to be interested mid 00's, watched them drop out the league and that was horrible, next season watched them go back up and then nearly to championship and that's when the negative play and losing came in. Going from an attacking team to playing 1 up top home and away, etc hasn't changed except lg2 instead of lg1 doesn't matter who manager is.

• 2 weeks later...