Old Football Grounds

HSS

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

There's a decent documentary on BBC Iplayer about the demise and possible resurrection of football in Bury available just now. Called "Bringing Back Football" IIRC. Talks about a phoenix club, which many Bury fans are opposed to in the hope they can revive the original Bury FC. It's worth a watch IMO.

Off topic I know, so I apologise but I was kind of in your area on NYD Cumbrian saint. I went to Barrow v Bradford as part of my "Doing the 92" attempt. That's 82 done now. Very old fashioned ground but give me that over these new builds any day. Obviously clubs need to move on in certain circumstances, as Saints did but there's still a bit of atmosphere at St Mirren. Or at least there was cos I've not managed to get back since covid reared its ugly head. I will return though. COYS! Some places are just so dull and soulless. I was at Colchester in Nov and it was awful. Hats off to the regulars there cos it's not a pleasant football watching experience at all. 

Edited by john scott
Typo

23 minutes ago, john scott said:

Off topic I know, so I apologise but I was kind of in your area on NYD Cumbrian saint. I went to Barrow v Bradford as part of my "Doing the 92" attempt. That's 82 done now. Very old fashioned ground but give me that over these new builds any day. Obviously clubs need to move on in certain circumstances, as Saints did but there's still a bit of atmosphere at St Mirren. Or at least there was cos I've not managed to get back since covid reared its ugly head. I will return though. COYS! Some places are just so dull and soulless. I was at Colchester in Nov and it was awful. Hats off to the regulars there cos it's not a pleasant football watching experience at all. 

Yeah, Holker Street at Barrow is fairly old fashioned same as Borough park at workington although they are very non league. Don't know if you have ever suffered memorial stadium in Bristol, away fans are stuck in uncovered area.

10 minutes ago, Cumbriansaint72 said:

Priestfield stadium at Gillingham another crap one for the away support. One that has been put back into use is the Darlington arena(ex reynolds). 

I was there for the friendly in 2008.

About 500 of us behind one goal, 500 home fans behind the other...in a stadium with 28k seats.

28 minutes ago, Eric Arthur Blair said:

I was there for the friendly in 2008.

About 500 of us behind one goal, 500 home fans behind the other...in a stadium with 28k seats.

I think by that time it had all but gone for Darlington.  Rather mad if they though they would fill that in lg2 when there were much higher profile teams not that far away.

Anyway drifted off a bit so going back to old grounds, brunton park high up there.