1926 Scottish Cup Final

The Scotsman - Wednesday, 11th March 1925, page 14

ST MIRREN AND CELTIC STILL LEVEL.

The second meeting between Celtic and St Mirren in the replayed Cup tie at Parkhead served to show how evenly matched they are, and even alter an extra half-hour neither side could claim the advantage, Celtic started well, and following a corner kick M'Lean forced Bradford over the line to open the scoring in two minutes. For a little after this Celtic were on top, but they failed to keep it up, and St Mirren, improving, raised the hopes of their supporters, and for twenty minutes before the interval they fairly tested the Celtic defence. D. Thomson St Johnstone, who took M'Crae's place at centre, led the line well, but he failed on one occasion to make the most of an opening made by J. Thomson. .On resuming St Mirren took the game in hand, and great work by Morgan and Gillies should have brought the equaliser. The Celtic goal ran several narrow escapes, but at the end of twenty-two minutes D. Thomson headed into the net following a corner kick. From this point onwards St Mirren went out for the winning goal, but fine defensive work, by M’Stay, Hilley, and Shevlin saved the Celtic. In the extra time both sides had chances to win, but Bradford and Shevlin both had brilliant saves. The attendance estimated at 36,000

Found this on a site named the celticwiki,and for the match in 1926 - type 1926 Pics in the search function and click on the highlighted 1926pics tab, further click on the listings on the left for the saints match shows some newspaper clippings posted on there including team photo, although it's not a clear pic, as you can see below.

Many thanks for this, looking forward to see if there is anything else that comes up. Cant believe that the club and the SFA haven't been back in touch with me though.

Many thanks for the first two, i haven't seen them pictures before, the third one i have got in a frame on my landing at home, i will take a picture of next friday and post it on here if anyone would like to see it. Its the original picture in the original frame.

Your great grandad is mentioned a few times in 'Marching On...', the history of St Mirren FC.

Signed from Renfrew Juniors in January 1925. Scored against Arbroath and Partick in the cup run. Had an operation on a perforated stomach in January 1927. Asked for a transfer after losing his place in the team on 8 October 1928, but it was turned down and he won his place back. Scored in the Scottish Cup semi defeat by Old club Rangers in 28/29. Was freed in 1930.

Might be worth your while contacting Paisley Library and asking if there is old copies of the Paisley Daily express , they used to be bound copies of each year in the reading rooms , I don,t know how far back they would go , but certainly well worth giving them a buzz

I think these sources are mibbe as good as it's gaunie get, Andy.

I can't see Saints coughing for a replica medal or even putting themselves out to help....

Edited by bluto

Might be worth your while contacting Paisley Library and asking if there is old copies of the Paisley Daily express , they used to be bound copies of each year in the reading rooms , I don,t know how far back they would go , but certainly well worth giving them a buzz

ok many thanks Griff, i will contact them asap

Your great grandad is mentioned a few times in 'Marching On...', the history of St Mirren FC.

Signed from Renfrew Juniors in January 1925. Scored against Arbroath and Partick in the cup run. Had an operation on a perforated stomach in January 1927. Asked for a transfer after losing his place in the team on 8 October 1928, but it was turned down and he won his place back. Scored in the Scottish Cup semi defeat by Old club Rangers in 28/29. Was freed in 1930.

Thank you for that info, do u know where i could get a copy of the book from at all