We Are Unfortunately A Joke Club

donport

Take a look in the lost column in the premier table. It makes hard reading it has been like that for far too long. Our inability to compete with those footballing giants that are Inverness, Hamilton, st.Johnstone, even Killie is killing us. People say och it's just our turn were to poor were to weak. All nonsense. We have an acceptance of failure at present and it must change and now. We haven't even won a home game. This club can be better and it should be better but we need to start believing in ourself again.

We simply dont have the fan base to generate money anymore,gone are the days of 10,000 plus crowds at a saints game(even thou the cap is only 8,000tongue.png )

its the location of the stadium,its the pricing,its the shitty view from certain parts of the ground,its the fact that the new stadium doesnt have the closeness of the amenities that the old ground enjoyed. (old love street had various buses running past the ground) where is the nearest chip shop?.something that was enjoyed before and after games.where are the pubs close to the ground?

the ground is stuck in a far away corner in the middle of nothing.its a chore to get there and back again

this may not be the entire reason of small crowds,but its one of them

We simply dont have the fan base to generate money anymore,gone are the days of 10,000 plus crowds at a saints game(even thou the cap is only 8,000tongue.png )

its the location of the stadium,its the pricing,its the shitty view from certain parts of the ground,its the fact that the new stadium doesnt have the closeness of the amenities that the old ground enjoyed. (old love street had various buses running past the ground) where is the nearest chip shop?.something that was enjoyed before and after games.where are the pubs close to the ground?

the ground is stuck in a far away corner in the middle of nothing.its a chore to get there and back again

If we had a good team on the pitch it wouldn't matter where the ground was. We used to take 3,000 to places like Kirkcaldy and Ayr! It's all about the team and results and with this current board those aren't going to improve any time soon

I agree, the core fan base has shrunk alarmingly in recent years. Many traditionally drifted towards the O.F. but could be tempted back. However since the move to the new ground, our win record at home has been lamentable meaning that the vast majority of our fans hardly ever see us win a game. How can that possibly sustain, never mind seek to increase, the home support? In addition, as the previous poster mentioned, the admission price is vastly too much. This has been debated ad nauseam by fans all over the country and most agree that clubs are charging far too much for the product on offer but nothing gets done about it.I`m afraid the only way to make clubs (not just Saints in this instance)take notice is by voting with your feet.

A very large percentage of fans want standing areas, lower ticket prices - indeed no tickets, just pay at the gate - and the reintroduction of alcohol at games. Are we being listened to ?

Thats one reason crowds are so low.

Back under my rock now.

I agree, the core fan base has shrunk alarmingly in recent years. Many traditionally drifted towards the O.F. but could be tempted back. However since the move to the new ground, our win record at home has been lamentable meaning that the vast majority of our fans hardly ever see us win a game. How can that possibly sustain, never mind seek to increase, the home support? In addition, as the previous poster mentioned, the admission price is vastly too much. This has been debated ad nauseam by fans all over the country and most agree that clubs are charging far too much for the product on offer but nothing gets done about it.I`m afraid the only way to make clubs (not just Saints in this instance)take notice is by voting with your feet.

A very large percentage of fans want standing areas, lower ticket prices - indeed no tickets, just pay at the gate - and the reintroduction of alcohol at games. Are we being listened to ?

Thats one reason crowds are so low.

Back under my rock now.

The trouble for Saints is that our stadium is so small that any reduction in prices is likely to lower our income rather than increase it.

With an average gate of 4,000 if you half the price you need to sell out an 8,000 seater stadium just to generate the same income.

If the clubs ever agree to reduce prices across the board and crowds are increased as a result, I don't see Saints benefitting from this whilst other clubs might due to the capacity of their stadia.

If they brought standing areas back in combination with reduced prices t might make a difference but it would all depend on how much difference that made to crowds and the capacity of the ground.

The ban on alcohol is a complete joke. A riot between the two bigot brothers 35 years ago and the rest of Scottish football fans have been treated like 2nd class citizens ever since. Why can we not bring it back for all games that don't involve Rangers or Celtic since they caused the problem in the first place and still can't be trusted to behave?

I'm not even sure I'd want a beer at the game but I think I should be entitled to the choice.

Edited by bingboy

This current squad we have is getting relegated, make no mistake about it.

I thought you would have laid off the Claervoyance juice by now...

Take a look in the lost column in the premier table. It makes hard reading it has been like that for far too long. Our inability to compete with those footballing giants that are Inverness, Hamilton, st.Johnstone, even Killie is killing us. People say och it's just our turn were to poor were to weak. All nonsense. We have an acceptance of failure at present and it must change and now. We haven't even won a home game. This club can be better and it should be better but we need to start believing in ourself again.

Sheesh! When will YOU start?

You two jellyfish above could help - and practice what you preach - by stopping the same regurgitated diatribes against all and sundry at our Club.

Show a bit of backbone FFS!

I stay in Erskine and don't have a problem getting to ground and if your coming from Argyll why would it matter.

Shitty view, don't sit behind goals, never had problem anywhere else in stadium.

There was only the Gockston bus as with the Ferguslie bus.

Depending which part of town your coming from, chippie in Well Street or Caledonian Street.

If your desperate enough for a drink, you would make the effort to have one and get to game.

Stuck in a corner with a handy railway station on it's door step.

The trouble for Saints is that our stadium is so small that any reduction in prices is likely to lower our income rather than increase it.

With an average gate of 4,000 if you half the price you need to sell out an 8,000 seater stadium just to generate the same income.

If the clubs ever agree to reduce prices across the board and crowds are increased as a result, I don't see Saints benefitting from this whilst other clubs might due to the capacity of their stadia.

If they brought standing areas back in combination with reduced prices t might make a difference but it would all depend on how much difference that made to crowds and the capacity of the ground.

The ban on alcohol is a complete joke. A riot between the two bigot brothers 35 years ago and the rest of Scottish football fans have been treated like 2nd class citizens ever since. Why can we not bring it back for all games that don't involve Rangers or Celtic since they caused the problem in the first place and still can't be trusted to behave?

I'm not even sure I'd want a beer at the game but I think I should be entitled to the choice.

I understand the point you are making about income but if football clubs have to charge way over the top prices then they are not budgetting properly or paying the staff too much (In Saints case that includes sacking dud players and managers) Why should the fans pay for their inadequacies ? Its not even as if we have been treated to decent signings in living memory. Saints are also always being held up in the media as a "model" club living within their means and debt free etc.Lets face it, any money they may have made has been squandered by rank bad management.

I still say until fans dig their heels in and refuse to pay over the odds, the clubs will just ignore us.

I hate the new ground probably more than anyone (going by the responses to my comments on here), but I hardly see the location as a big problem. It is still a 15 minute walk from the best pubs in Paisley, its probably a bit closer from New Street to the turnstile if anything, and it is a lot easier to get in and out from for those coming by car.

I hardly think the loss of Cosmos is going to put anyone off coming to the game.

Edited by Kemp

I still say until fans dig their heels in and refuse to pay over the odds, the clubs will just ignore us.

You aren't paying over the odds though, you are paying what the market dictates, and its a market where the companies involve do well to break even. Motherwell lowered prices and it was a disaster. St Mirren could lower prices but it would mean not being able to hold on to the few good players we have.

We are in a strange economy given our proximity to England and the draw the Old Firm (defunct) had over the years.

It will take some really creative thinking to make football a bit more affordable.

I agree, the core fan base has shrunk alarmingly in recent years. Many traditionally drifted towards the O.F. but could be tempted back. However since the move to the new ground, our win record at home has been lamentable meaning that the vast majority of our fans hardly ever see us win a game. How can that possibly sustain, never mind seek to increase, the home support? In addition, as the previous poster mentioned, the admission price is vastly too much. This has been debated ad nauseam by fans all over the country and most agree that clubs are charging far too much for the product on offer but nothing gets done about it.I`m afraid the only way to make clubs (not just Saints in this instance)take notice is by voting with your feet.A very large percentage of fans want standing areas, lower ticket prices - indeed no tickets, just pay at the gate - and the reintroduction of alcohol at games. Are we being listened to ?Thats one reason crowds are so low.Back under my rock now.

Love Street, 1964 v Falkirk in Div 1. Shit game finishing 0-0. Crowd? 3000. Out with the Fergie period, our core support is virtually unchanged in 50 years. We got a lot of *** fans in the 70s when their team were utter shire and we were playing great football. ICT are not much better and look at where they are. Prices and quality of fair are key factors but we are unlikely to see attendance's other than if we are challenging for promotion.

Love Street, 1964 v Falkirk in Div 1. Shit game finishing 0-0. Crowd? 3000. Out with the Fergie period, our core support is virtually unchanged in 50 years. We got a lot of *** fans in the 70s when their team were utter shire and we were playing great football. ICT are not much better and look at where they are. Prices and quality of fair are key factors but we are unlikely to see attendance's other than if we are challenging for promotion.

St Mirren vs Dunfermline 29.4.2007 Fighting relegation, but 10261 in attendance. A Monday night and game live on telly. Who says we can't get the crowds out?

St Mirren vs Dunfermline 29.4.2007 Fighting relegation, but 10261 in attendance. A Monday night and game live on telly. Who says we can't get the crowds out?

A one off game that season similar to full house v Hamilton for relegation crunch match. A lot of neutrals will go along to these matches plus some fans who seldom go to watch us other than on a rare occasion e.g cup final. I am alluding to us having a hard core fan base of around 3,000 which is generally the same for 50 years other than the Fergie era (football was also much cheaper then too)

During the late fifties and sixties we regularly had gates between ten and twenty thousand.I remember in particular a match against Thistle I think in 1964 when around 17,000 fans attended.Also a game against Rangers around 1968 when the crowd was well over 30,000.

It was a lot more than that i heard

I thought the crowds where decent when Clunie was in charge as well as Fergie

A one off game that season similar to full house v Hamilton for relegation crunch match. A lot of neutrals will go along to these matches plus some fans who seldom go to watch us other than on a rare occasion e.g cup final. I am alluding to us having a hard core fan base of around 3,000 which is generally the same for 50 years other than the Fergie era (football was also much cheaper then too)

Surely if we could pull them in for these 'one off' games (and there have been many) it might suggest that our core is larger than we think. The problem is that we've never been good at mobilising them since the Fergie years.

It was a lot more than that i heard

I thought the crowds where decent when Clunie was in charge as well as Fergie

They were for reasons I outlined previously. Also we were in Europe during Clunie era and he inherited the nucleus of the Fergie team. Success will bring in more fans but biggest I have seen attend outwith Old Firm attending, was in the 76/77 season.

Surely if we could pull them in for these 'one off' games (and there have been many) it might suggest that our core is larger than we think. The problem is that we've never been good at mobilising them since the Fergie years.

In an ideal world yes, but we can also ask "where did the 30,000 go that attended the Scottish Cup final in 1987?". The bottom line is that the world has changed since the Fergie era, far too expensive for many, football is poor, TV now showing more games than ever, TV scheduling of matches and competition in other sports/activities. There is a loyal support but many things are pushing fans/potential fans away. The recent actions of our BOD doesn't help.