Cochrane House Hotel, Spateston

pozbaird

After having a conversation with a mate about 'the old days', and despite being a keen photographer, I realised that I never took any photos of the 'Coaky Doak', where I did my teenage drinking, playing pool, darts, and that new invention.... Space Invaders.

I lived right across the road too, in Finch Place. I remember going to see the band Chou Pahrot downstairs in the function suite, I remember the lounge bar upstairs, and going down the ramp on the left to the public bar. I can see it in my head like it was only yesterday.

Anyone got any photos of the old place? I have tried the interweb thingummyjig, drawing a blank.

As an aside, anyone got any photos of Coanes Bar on the High Street in Johnstone from its 1980s heyday as a trendy '80s wine bar? That's where me and my mates gravitated to when ties became thin, hair became buffoned, socks became white, and jacket sleeves were worn rolled up to the elbows. I remember the 'futuristic vehicle' artwork, the red, yellow and blue neon, and the DJ up the back.

Anyone frequent these places?

Finally - if you have growing kids, urge them, tell them, insist upon them that they use their modern gadgets to photograph and keep pics of the places they go to with their pals, where they go for a pint... In thirty years time they'll be glad they did. All I've got are (fortunately!) some from the old Glasgow Apollo and Glasgow Airport frontage. I wish I had photographed Listen record shops, the Saints shop in the Piazza, the amusement arcade and old spectators gallery at the top of the airport....

Anyway... Here's hoping!

Edited by pozbaird

• 1 year later...

I had my wedding reception in the Cokey Doke.  I also worked behind the bar for a few months, saving for holidays. I was only 17 or 18 at the time.  My brother's band, Chou Pahrot, played there, you mentioned them, and I had my 21st birthday party in there too.  Oh, such memories.  I too wish I had photos...if anyone does, please post them.  There is a site on Facebook called 'Our Toon, Johnstone' and they are currently discussing the Cokey Doke and the original Old Red House.

yes, Cokey doke function bar downstairs, lounge bar upstairs....and Coanes, great place in its heyday.  Ok, I'll have a look for pictures...must have some somewhere and someone out there must have some too.

On 17/02/2015 at 7:46 PM, pozbaird said:

After having a conversation with a mate about 'the old days', and despite being a keen photographer, I realised that I never took any photos of the 'Coaky Doak', where I did my teenage drinking, playing pool, darts, and that new invention.... Space Invaders.

I lived right across the road too, in Finch Place. I remember going to see the band Chou Pahrot downstairs in the function suite, I remember the lounge bar upstairs, and going down the ramp on the left to the public bar. I can see it in my head like it was only yesterday.

Anyone got any photos of the old place? I have tried the interweb thingummyjig, drawing a blank.

As an aside, anyone got any photos of Coanes Bar on the High Street in Johnstone from its 1980s heyday as a trendy '80s wine bar? That's where me and my mates gravitated to when ties became thin, hair became buffoned, socks became white, and jacket sleeves were worn rolled up to the elbows. I remember the 'futuristic vehicle' artwork, the red, yellow and blue neon, and the DJ up the back.

Finally - if you have growing kids, urge them, tell them, insist upon them that they use their modern gadgets to photograph and keep pics of the places they go to with their pals, where they go for a pint... In thirty years time they'll be glad they did. All I've got are (fortunately!) some from the old Glasgow Apollo and Glasgow Airport frontage. I wish I had photographed Listen record shops, the Saints shop in the Piazza, the amusement arcade and old spectators gallery at the top of the airport....

Anyway... Here's hoping!

To be honest I tell my kids to put their bloody phones away and engage as fully as they can in each moment because if they dont, no amount of grainy photographs years later will make up for it.

I prefer not to spend too much time wallowing in the grief of my lost youth.

Each to their own though.

Edited by oaksoft

On Tuesday, February 17, 2015 at 9:46 PM, pozbaird said:

Anyway... Here's hoping!

Guy  from Cumberland bought that and built a night club on the lower level. Was asked to Dj the club was around 82 - 83 really enjoyed it. Scratching was just coming in at that time one the bouncers asked if I could do it. High Travel Simple Minds was playing with the dance floor full so gave the scratching a try. It worked perfectly always remember that. Tried to run a live music session on a Sunday but it did not last long. The bar always got a good turn. Remember a guy who drank in the bar with his two huge German Shepherd dogs. Yea it was a great place. Also remember this quiet bouncer who was very polite so was shocked when he stabbed a punter trying to get into the club he ended up in jail for a few years. 

32 minutes ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

Guy  from Cumberland bought that and built a night club on the lower level. Was asked to Dj the club was around 82 - 83 really enjoyed it. Scratching was just coming in at that time one the bouncers asked if I could do it. High Travel Simple Minds was playing with the dance floor full so gave the scratching a try. It worked perfectly always remember that. Tried to run a live music session on a Sunday but it did not last long. The bar always got a good turn. Remember a guy who drank in the bar with his two huge German Shepherd dogs. Yea it was a great place. Also remember this quiet bouncer who was very polite so was shocked when he stabbed a punter trying to get into the club he ended up in jail for a few years. 

The Silent Assassin