Former Saints Fan On The Run

HSS

There are a few stories to be told

Always used to wear a jacket and tie , even to the football

Used follow Saints home and away late seventies early eighties

Wow Griff,that's a couple of sensational stories!!!

I was a mate,as were a few on here, of DB in the 80s and you'd struggle to meet a nicer guy.He thought of himself as an Arthur Daley type and he was a quite brilliant shoplifter.He used to make a fortune at xmas stealing to order.

Unfortunately he believed all his own hype and it all went downhill from there......

I was a mate,as were a few on here, of DB in the 80s and you'd struggle to meet a nicer guy.He thought of himself as an Arthur Daley type and he was a quite brilliant shoplifter.He used to make a fortune at xmas stealing to order.

Unfortunately he believed all his own hype and it all went downhill from there......

So true , you couldn't meet a nicer guy back then.The term lovable rogue could have been invented for him . I roomed with him at Scotland away games and he was the funniest guy I had ever known .

He got thrown out of his room in the Isle of Man and invited himself to share a room with my mates , who were about 18 at the time , and who thought Brocky was a good guy . Strangely enough , the day after Brocky moved into the room one of the lads had his case ripped open and his wallet and contents stolen . Being the good guy he was was , Brocky gave my mate a tenner and threatened to give the culprit a do in if he ever found him .

It was only a few years later , when stories of filling stations being robbed , did Brocky become a suspect for nicking my mates wallet ( which in all fairness he might have not done ).

At the time , we thought he was a trainee manager at John Menzies , who would kindly pass on his staff discount , to any of his St Mirren supporting friends.

Who also managed to get every Saturday off to follow St Mirren home and away .

So true , you couldn't meet a nicer guy back then.The term lovable rogue could have been invented for him . I roomed with him at Scotland away games and he was the funniest guy I had ever known .

I dunno Billy, I knew him from when he was 16 or so and he was liable to nick from his mates and drop people in it even then, he was also given to some very dark moods which i think belied the way he would eventually turn out.

but he could also charm the birds from the trees and get anyone laughing, I recall the story of how he bought a cheap cricket bat and put false autographs of the England team on it (he was from an English family and a big cricket fan) and sold it to a fellow traveller as he passed himself of as Bob Woolmer to a fellow traveller. £2 bat fetched what was then a lot of money, but both parties were delighted with the deal.

he also swiped a VCR from the home of a renowned junior footballer who was also, some would argue, a bit "tasty" himself and sold it to someone who knew the guy, Brockie forgot to remove a tape the guy had of himself playing in the junior cup final and the new owner put 2 +2 together and gave it straight back. Despite getting a bit of close attention from the renowned footnallers mates DB still managed to sweet talk his way back into their circle.

i have dozens more stories about him that would make folk laugh and shudder in equal measure

i

Surprised but glad Brocky is still alive.

I know what you mean Mr 57, we all thought he had snuffed it by this time but i am hoping he won't be hurting anyone else. After knifing two guards then a return to prison will not be his best move and you also doubt that the police will take any chances with him when they catch up. I can't see too many good outcomes for the big man after this

..... and the other time when the Tudor bus was leaving for Arbroath around 10 on a Saturday , as I got on the bus and made my way up the back I had to hurdle a massive cardboard box in the passage way. The box contained a Clydesdale Bank Football Year book for each person on the bus , he had just walked into McDougalls and walked out with it !

I'll remember the good times Chris , like the slap up meal in the plush Edinburgh hotel , all courtesy of a bogus credit card as it turned out !

Billy

i'm not knocking him in any way. The guy is a complete package and none of us ever sussed how complex that package is. As was earlier said, a loveable rogue who ended up in a spiral and there but for the grace of god goes any one of us. No doubt the holy Joes (who will have never met him) will be along soon protesting against his violence and our apparent acceptance, but you need to have known the guy to experience the contradictions.

i feel really sad for the teenager I knew because it so obviously could all have been so different for him if he had listened to some of the advice he was given, but i guess he just isn't made up that way.

..... and the other time when the Tudor bus was leaving for Arbroath around 10 on a Saturday , as I got on the bus and made my way up the back I had to hurdle a massive cardboard box in the passage way. The box contained a Clydesdale Bank Football Year book for each person on the bus , he had just walked into McDougalls and walked out with it !

or the time he stole a christmas shopping list for a child from a friend's coat pocket and returned 20 minutes later with everything on the list that could have been got from menzies

I hate those Holy Joes that just can't see the funny side of a good old stabbing in the stomach!

We're not talking about today though , are we ? The fact that he 's back in the public eye has caused some of us to reflect on the complex person he was , and obviously still is ! No-one can condone his actions nowadays , but in some ways , I'm glad to have known him when he was in all his glory !

We're not talking about today though , are we ? The fact that he 's back in the public eye has caused some of us to reflect on the complex person he was , and obviously still is ! No-one can condone his actions nowadays , but in some ways , I'm glad to have known him when he was in all his glory !

Just what i tried to say, but much better put.

He is a highly intelligent person who ended up in a very bad place. Given different circumstances he could have been a success at many things. I hope there is still a bit of the old Brockie in there somewhere but from what I'm reading that may not be the case