Fallen Climbers In The Cairngorms

RickMcD

This is probably one for Bluto. There's a news item today about three climbers falling when climbing on Corrie an Lochan. One of them apparently fell 400m or over 1300ft.in real money. I've always wondered how these things are measured. I'm assuming a vertical fall of 1300ft.is non-survivable which means the guy would have been knocked about like hell crashing off rocks and whatever. So who measures these things and is there any particular relevance in what the distance actually is? I suppose I can understand it when there's a fatality.

I saw it yesterday.

It's a real fall of that total distance. ohmy.png

But this time of year in Coire an Lochan, (IIRTC) there were likely doing a gully climb - snow and ice. There would be lots of bashing into snow and hopefully well-buried rocks, hitting ledges, sliding bouncing off...

Falling free for that distance with your first stop being the bottom would be fatal... I would imagine - though loads of freshly fallen snow would maybe mitigate impact?

There was a BIG FALL two March(es) ago. Over on the Grey Corries.

The guy leading his partner and a buddie saw conditions were getting d-icy(see what I did there?), paused on the top of the ridge and said, " I think we should get our crampons o-oooooooooooh" and fell over a 1000 feet.

His friends called MRS who attended in a helicopter and were, they were sure, simply looking for THE BODY. Saw someone staggering about in the expected viciinity looking at a map.

He'd bounced his way down, face battered and bleeding, blacked out. Woke, realised he'd survived, recognised the hills around but had no idea how he got there.

He was on breakfast tv next morning, and they were asking him if he'd ever climb again. I thought his answers were very cagey...

He'd been training for a Himalayan trip - which he did in Sep/Oct on a big hill, there.

ETA:

It was January 2011... doesn't time - unlike humans - fly?

Edited by bluto

This is probably one for Bluto. There's a news item today about three climbers falling when climbing on Corrie an Lochan. One of them apparently fell 400m or over 1300ft.in real money. I've always wondered how these things are measured. I'm assuming a vertical fall of 1300ft.is non-survivable which means the guy would have been knocked about like hell crashing off rocks and whatever. So who measures these things and is there any particular relevance in what the distance actually is? I suppose I can understand it when there's a fatality.

the reason they report the distance,is to show how far these stupid fkkrs go to try kill themselves..............whistling.gif

Falling free for that distance with your first stop being the bottom would be fatal... I would imagine - though loads of freshly fallen snow would maybe mitigate impact?

Would be interesting to know what speed you'd hit the ground at if you fell 400m without hitting anything first.

A quick calculation shows around 200 miles per hour neglecting drag and terminal velocity considerations.

Including all of that, you probably be looking at perhaps 100-150 miles per hour as a rough figure.

Either way, that's pretty scary stuff.

From olden day tales of climbing/falling the figure of 32 feet per second second, was always quoted.

Dunno why that became accepted wisdom or if it's accurate.

Yeah that number is still used but we use different units now.

We use metres per second per second now and that is the acceleration due to gravity of approx 10 metres per sec per sec.

It's valid but doesn't include drag.

Edited by oaksoft

v2 = 2gh for an object starting from rest, where v is the final velocity, g is acceleration due to gravity and h is the vertical distance travelled (or height fell).

So v2 = 2(9.81)(400) = 2328, therefore v = 88.59 ms-1 approximately (or roughly 198 mph, like you said), excluding external forces like air resistance. Including external forces the terminal velocity would depend a lot on whether you fell like a skydiver or

like a highboard diver but it is estimated that it would be roughly between 53 and 76ms-1, so about 118 to 170 mph, depending on how you were falling, how heavy / fat you were, how the wind was blowing, whether you had been fitted with the old concrete boots (for falling 400m through water, but that would be completely different and outside the realms of this discussion) ...

You know , that`s exactly what i was going to say. whistling.gif

You would probably have said it better.

Anyway, away and get your petticoat on and get ready to jump, just wait for Bluto to arrive in his camisole and Shull in his Bloomers then you're all set - all in the name of science, of course. whistling.gif

Me?

In a camisole...?

Oh, you ARE awful!

But I liked you... :)

shouldn't be up a mountain if you have no emergency facility of your own, costs a lot of cash to rescue some twat who cant climb mountains properly, yet still goes up there, there are reports of people falling and being killed on mountains all the time, do the people who climb mountains never read newspapers or watch tv news FFS

shouldn't be up a mountain if you have no emergency facility of your own, costs a lot of cash to rescue some twat who cant climb mountains properly, yet still goes up there, there are reports of people falling and being killed on mountains all the time, do the people who climb mountains never read newspapers or watch tv news FFS

Bollox.

But I'm guessing you just saw me posting and knew I would react to daftness. :P

snore.gifsnore.gifsnore.gif

FFS, no again, groundhog day. bye1.gif

Same risk as crossing a busy road or not getting enough hours sleep a night.

I hope this helps? smile.png

Good night.

Not having that i'm afraid, I do not believe that any sane person would intentionally go out and cross a busy road in a manner that would put themselves at risk e.g walking slowly in front of a speeding vehicle

shouldn't be up a mountain if you have no emergency facility of your own, costs a lot of cash to rescue some twat who cant drive in mountains properly, yet still goes up there, there are reports of people driving and being killed on mountains all the time, do the people who drive in mountains never read newspapers or watch tv news FFS

FIFY. :)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cumbria-31584794