Braehead Clan - Marketing Dept Take Note!

I think what the ice hockey club have achieved in such a small space of time is terrific. Crowds of 3000+, they have captured the imagination of the people and don't just rest and accept that's as good as it gets, they are constantly thinking up new ideas to keep the public interested. Tonight Greg Hemphill is a special guest.

Now I understand the Clan may have a larger catchment of people from Glasgow to target and obviously it's down at the shopping centre but Ice Hockey has never been anywhere near as popular as football so it hasn't been an easy job to get to this stage where theor crowds are bigger than ours!

I think our commercial and marketing dept should invite the Clan's equivelent along to greenhill road so they can learn how they go about promoting the ice hockey team and all the inventive ideas they have to get crowds in. All things we are spectacularly lacking in!!

Edited by Big Yards

I think what the ice hockey club have achieved in such a small space of time is terrific. Crowds of 3000+, they have captured the imagination of the people and don't just rest and accept that's as good as it gets, they are constantly thinking up new ideas to keep the public interested. Tonight Greg Hemphill is a special guest.

Now I understand the Clan may have a larger catchment of people from Glasgow to target and obviously it's down at the shopping centre but Ice Hockey has never been anywhere near as popular as football so it hasn't been an easy job to get to this stage where theor crowds are bigger than ours!

I think our commercial and marketing dept should invite the Clan's equivelent along to greenhill road so they can learn how they go about promoting the ice hockey team and all the inventive ideas they have to get crowds in. All things we are spectacularly lacking in!!

Winning games.

Clan are also moving to a new arena when the extension to Braehead is built meaning potentially even bigger crowds than they are getting at the moment.

Watching the Championship game at lunchtime big signs hospitality from £45. We are looking at around £100 minimum

It depends what your looking for, but I think I'd rather attend the football on a Saturday than watch Ice hockey among a crowd of people waving foam hands in the air.

That should've read that the I've hockey is far more entertaining and better value for money than watching St Mirren Right Now. I too am a football fan before I'm an I'ce hockey fan but this seasons football is not fun at all, the worst I've ever seen and that's saying something!

Edited by Big Yards

I've been reading up a bit on the MLS, since we played NYCFC, and the marketing of their game is on a different level. Granted, they have a bit more money sloshing around, but even so it's impressive how they have developed the league over the last twenty years.

I would say that the problem is only in part the poor marketing by Scottish clubs - what is the SPFL doing in terms of marketing? Not much, it would seem, other than sitting tight until The Rangers get promoted.

On a side note, if you've got the patience (and maybe a maths degree), it's quite interesting to look at how the MLS is structured, with regards to player contracts, the salary cap, player drafts etc. Don't think a lot of it could happen here, but they do seem to make an effort to keep the teams competitive, so that it's not the same teams winning every year.

I've been to one ice hockey game and it was a good one to get to - Toronto Maple Leafs v Montreal Canadiens. Not sure I'd want to watch it every week though. The NFL at Wembley however is a different matter. I'm going to three games next season, absolutely fantastic. Would love to be able to go every week if I could. I now enjoy the NFL far more than I do our soccer. Both in the flesh and on TV.

I've been to one ice hockey game and it was a good one to get to - Toronto Maple Leafs v Montreal Canadiens. Not sure I'd want to watch it every week though. The NFL at Wembley however is a different matter. I'm going to three games next season, absolutely fantastic. Would love to be able to go every week if I could. I now enjoy the NFL far more than I do our soccer. Both in the flesh and on TV.

Agree with you about the every week thing. Went to an NHL game last year and it was fun, mainly because it was part of a holiday and it was a one-off. However, doubt I'd want to go regularly - and it lasts bloody ages!

Having said that someone I know who is a football fan wrote a good piece about going to see the Clan. http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/local-sport/braehead-clan-showing-scottish-football-4854078

Eh, Is this not the "General Saint Mirren discussion" page, anyway Ice Hockey is overhyped pish, just like NFL is, It appeals to those who like razzmatazz, and those who say yeah instead of yes, Scorrish instead of Scottish etc, in fact People exactly like Greig Hemphill. It's fake and polluted with North American players who can't get a game over there.

It appeals to the gullible and that's fine by me. It might keep a few nutters off the streets.

Eh, Is this not the "General Saint Mirren discussion" page, anyway Ice Hockey is overhyped pish, just like NFL is, It appeals to those who like razzmatazz, and those who say yeah instead of yes, Scorrish instead of Scottish etc, in fact People exactly like Greig Hemphill. It's fake and polluted with North American players who can't get a game over there.

It appeals to the gullible and that's fine by me. It might keep a few nutters off the streets.

Yeah, yeah , yeah .............bye1.gif

Yeah, those deluded fools who like 'entertainment'! Maybe one day we'll learn to overhype the football.

You might not like ice hockey or the NFL, fair enough. There is no need to denigrate those who do.

IMO this attitude is typical of the negativity that surrounds Scottish Football and is driving fans away.