Bring Back Gus Macpherson

shull

No different from most managers then. Ronny Deila at Celtic would have been expected to compete with big teams in the Champions League, but his budget would have hamstrung his chances, and so it goes on at most clubs with supporters having varying expectations as to what their clubs should hope to achieve, and which other clubs they are similarly sized, funded, and matched up with.

Whatever budget our last three managers HAVE had, it hasn't been spent entirely wisely. That's being kind. We have spunked away much of the budget on shite. Or a conveyor belt of lightweight kid loanee midfielders who were either played out of position or were papped back to parent clubs quick smartish.

Successive managers have assembled increasingly unbalanced squads, with defensive frailities consistently left unaddressed, despite the fact a management team of Stevie Wonder and Andrea Bocelli would realise it was soft as a baby's first shite. It is a poor defence that consistently fails to give us a solid foundation from which to actually win some fcuking games, especially those in which we've actually taken the lead, which is a fair few.

Ach, fcuk it. Why rant? We're a wee diddy team, have no budget, no Roy McGregor, no right to mix it with the ICTs and St Johnstones of this world, and we are an over-expectant, quick to criticise bunch of moaning-faced bawbags who should realise the club was saved in 1998 and we simply need to turn up, pay up, put up, and shut up.

Plus, Oaksoft says we are all jessies.

There's a lot of truth in that... :whistle:

I though Gus only bettered last season's points haul once in his 4 seasons in the SPL whereas DL bettered it twice.

Not a like for like comparison.

Rangers were missing in the last 2 seasons and Hearts were weakened and in administration last season.

In addition, we had over £3 million of debt and no training facilities during Gus' first 3 seasons in charge.

It should also be remembered that Gus' starting position was a battle to avoid relegation to the Second Division.

Edited by another alias

Gus was a great manager at St Mirren. The progression we made under him was immense and he sustained it. He's the best Saints manager I've ever seen.

He was here for a long time and the time was right for him to leave when he did. I'm pretty sure he won't ever be back, certainly not under the current BOD.

Yeah, left and moved on significantly.

FFS

Gus was a great manager at St Mirren. The progression we made under him was immense and he sustained it. He's the best Saints manager I've ever seen.

He was here for a long time and the time was right for him to leave when he did. I'm pretty sure he won't ever be back, certainly not under the current BOD.

laugh.pnglaugh.png FFS... you're having as bad a season as the team laugh.pnglaugh.png

Absolutely astounded to read today that Teale admitted to reporters that they arrived in Aberdeen with little chance of a result.Christ if that is his attitude he has to go NOW.The one thing a manager must to for Gods sake is instill belief in his players.Otherwise what is the point.

Could Teale have realised that he's just being made a scapegoat and he no longer cares what he's saying cos he's been left with a shambles??

No.

He quoted Bobby Wililamson and it has since been twisted by his detractors to say it was all his own work.

He also speaks highly of you.

I believe the quote originated with ex-Stoke City manager Alan Durban but if anyone can find an earlier example I'll be happy to bow to their superior knowledge.

Wouldn't want GM back, nothing to do with results (which were good enough) or style/tactics which never bother me (I don't go to the football to be entertained - honestspudnikconfounded.gif). Oh and I reckon GM should've been sacked for the Rory Loy affair.

Edited by Bud the Baker

I believe the quote originated with ex-Stoke City manager Alan Durban but if anyone can find an earlier example I'll be happy to bow to their superior knowledge.

Probably right. :)

Lacking any kind of knowledge, superior or even ulterior, I couldn't recall who was the originator, but was happy to go with what someBuddie posted earlier in the thread.

Probably right. smile.png

Lacking any kind of knowledge, superior or even ulterior, I couldn't recall who was the originator, but was happy to go with what someBuddie posted earlier in the thread.

There's a short chapter in Nick Hornby's book Fever Pitch which attibutes the quote to him and discusses whether entertainment or results should be the prime aim of a manager. Hornby like me reckon's it results, results, results!

If you want entertainment go play with a train set.................

I would happily have Tommy Craig back in charge before Gus MacPherson.

Gus was thought he was bigger than St Mirren Football Club, and was far too arrogant for his own good.

I'd rather have Davie Hay than Tommy Craig. Tommy Craig had a track record of failure as a manager in his own right, yet our BoD bumped him up to the No1 gig.

I thought Gus and Andy Millen did well at St.Mirren and when they left I thought it was a mistake.

Then Danny Lennon came along thought it was a cheap crap appointment!

The football got better our league positions stayed roughly the same and we won the League cup.

Danny Lennon's football was better he gave youth more of a chance!

He also talked up the club the board the fans. And is a very nice man and is a St.Mirren cup winning Legend!!

Now for Gus lost a cup final to 9 man Ranagers. His football was not the best!

Won us promotion to the Premier and kept us there.

All he said about the St.Mirren fans was they expect to much!

Was grumpy and arrogant and didn't really give youth a chance!

Would I take Gus back as manager? Probably Yes! Because the position we are in..

Do I want Gus back No! Did I want Danny to get the sack No! Did I want Tommy Craig as manager No! Did I want Garry Teale as manager No!

I would have Lennon back in a heart beat he is one of the Best managers I have seen at St.Mirren.

Gus was just a little bit better than Tom Hendrie iMOP

But it doesn't matter who you and me want as manager the board will do what they want anyway!