Bring Back Gus Macpherson

shull

I thought Gus and Andy Millen did well at St.Mirren and when they left I thought it was a mistake.

Then Danny Lennon came along thought it was a cheap crap appointment!

The football got better our league positions stayed roughly the same and we won the League cup.

Danny Lennon's football was better he gave youth more of a chance!

He also talked up the club the board the fans. And is a very nice man and is a St.Mirren cup winning Legend!!

Now for Gus lost a cup final to 9 man Ranagers. His football was not the best!

Won us promotion to the Premier and kept us there.

All he said about the St.Mirren fans was they expect to much!

Was grumpy and arrogant and didn't really give youth a chance!

Would I take Gus back as manager? Probably Yes! Because the position we are in..

Do I want Gus back No! Did I want Danny to get the sack No! Did I want Tommy Craig as manager No! Did I want Garry Teale as manager No!

I would have Lennon back in a heart beat he is one of the Best managers I have seen at St.Mirren.

Gus was just a little bit better than Tom Hendrie iMOP

But it doesn't matter who you and me want as manager the board will do what they want anyway!

Why would we want Lennon back no beter than Gary sorry my opinion only. Need someone new not someone we have had already

I met Gus a couple of times and he was a really nice guy. I remember travelling down to Kirkaldy after a 14 hour ferry trip and then the train down to Fife only for the game to be called off because of a feckin' waterlogged pitch. Met a guy in a pub in Burntisland who was a cousin of a board member and he picked me and my son up on the Monday morning before we headed back to Shetland and he took us down to Love St to meet the manager and team.

It was Andy Millens first day in his job as Gus's assistant and we greeted him as he arrived for his first day at work with the Buddies. Gus then took my boy and me into the Love St dressing room to meet the players and they signed footballs,calendars and programmes. All the players were wearing their strips as if they were ready to take to the pitch for a game. I've never felt so humbled in all my life.

The thing that impressed me about Gus was how he respected the hardcore fans that turned out every week and not just the fly by nights like me and my boy that support a team through thick and thin. He really was genuine about our support. He invited me back to Love St next time I was in town and gave me an invite behind the scenes.

I never got in touch with him again but I bumped into him at a player of the year award at the end of the season. Didn't think he'd remember me but he did and asked how my son was and joked about not getting in touch after he gave me his number. He came across as an approachable man who had plenty of time for the fans.

Maybe he changed over his tenure but I never understood the bad feeling towards him. A lot of quotes attributed to him seem to have gained credability but I can only speak of the man as I met him.I have nothing but respect for the man and I wish him well. Also while I'm at it I cant remember the name of the guy I met in Burntisland and who took me and my son down to Love St but I'll never forget the experience and thank you so much for that day.

Tommy Craig had a track record of failure as a manager in his own right, yet our BoD bumped him up to the No1 gig.

But he won 1.5 times as many games as our manager as he did in his previous managerial appointment, from exactly the same number of games. Fair play to our board for spotting the potential for improvement in him.

What happened to Gus after st mirren. That's right nobody wanted him. He now finds himself in the bottom tier of Scottish football.

Eh with one massive exception what happened to any manager that left us.

So there is a question------ Where are they now?

DL= Offered one match at U21 level

GM= QP 4th tier

TH= Eh prison?

JC= ?

RM?

DH ?

JB ?

Fitzy = Has a ok role

Fergie= Well yes we know his career dived after us. You don't have to play Dundee away in CL

Can anyone help with above blanks?

I'd rather have Davie Hay than Tommy Craig. Tommy Craig had a track record of failure as a manager in his own right, yet our BoD bumped him up to the No1 gig.

Some managerial appointments work out, some don't - I was one of the many sceptics about TC's appointment as manager at the time but it was clearly part of a longer term plan to groom shutup.gif Teale & Goodwin and one failure in Belgium is hardly "a track record of failure". It was done quickly and there should've been the benefit of continuity and an awareness of what was required to improve the squad for the current season, TC talked the talk on his appointment unfortunately we all know what happened next.................

Edited by Bud the Baker

• 2 months later...

He wouldn't be my first choice and I very much doubt he'd be given the chance to return, but he's not the worst option.

Unfortunately he might be the only 'experienced' manager that we could actually afford. He did get us promoted so he knows how to win games at that level.

FFS !

Spoiled by the un-necessary exclamation mark and space between it and the preceeding 'S'. Much could be learned from the smooth execution displayed by david g's recent FFS, but still, a worthy effort. Have a 'like'. Brush up on your FFS styling on the training field and next season you'll be up there pushing david g and drew all the way.

Edited by pozbaird

I'd rather have Danny Lennon.

Macpherson had no respect for the fans and his football philosophy was painful on the eye.

His attitude towards the fans wasn't brilliant but that's only when things stated to go awry.

When he was getting us promoted nobody really cared that he was a grumpy wee guy.

Could do a lot worse than McPherson. After all he took us from the bottom half of the second tier to an established top flight side.

To be honest his attitude to the fans isn't something that concerns me. I couldn't care less if he was the friendliest guy in the world or the opposite.

The only relevant thing for me for our next manager is his ability to manage the football team.

What we need, IMHO is a clear-out and a fresh start. We may need to go backwards a few seasons before heading back. Appointing Gus would not be a fresh start at all. I have a lot of time for Gus and history should judge him kindly - but history is what it should remain.

Spoiled by the un-necessary exclamation mark and space between it and the preceeding 'S'. Much could be learned from the smooth execution displayed by david g's recent FFS, but still, a worthy effort. Have a 'like'. Brush up on your FFS styling on the training field and next season you'll be up there pushing david g and drew all the way.

FSF