Defence

Let's help Gary out...

Our defence keeps conceding soft goals. Gary alluded to his dissatisfaction in the post match interview today.

Let's help him out by trying to pinpoint our defensive frailties.

It will be tough... but ultimately worthwhile.

Failed defensive partnerships to date....

McAusland and Mair
McAusland and McGregor
McAusland and Goodwin
McAusland and Plummer
McAusland and Teselaar

I'm no tactical genius... so I welcome suggestions as to whether it is worth trying McAusland and Naismith rather than sign a real defender?

(Edited to add Plummer)

Edited by BuddieinEK

Forget the CH pairing the 2 full backs are dreadful, most our problems come from them not stopping the initial cross into the box.

Yes we've not had a decent centre half partnership in years but the 2 full backs are causing all sorts of problems.

I agree we need to be tighter defensively on both wings and stop the crosses coming in... but they are two young boys learning their trade under very trying circumstances.

I have said before that Naismith is a liability at right back just now... poor positioning and slack marking... ... but... ...

Every successful team has a strong spine. How do you rate the spine of our team (without referencing Quasimodo).

Let's help Gary out...

Our defence keeps conceding soft goals. Gary alluded to his dissatisfaction in the post match interview today.

Let's help him out by trying to pinpoint our defensive frailties.

It will be tough... but ultimately worthwhile.

Failed defensive partnerships to date....

McAusland and Mair

McAusland and McGregor

McAusland and Goodwin

McAusland and Teselaar

McAusland and Baird

I'm no tactical genius... so I welcome suggestions as to whether it is worth trying McAusland and Naismith rather than sign a real defender?

McAusland and Plummer

Nothing wrong with the defence. We've conceded less than our relegation rivals so clearly our defence is fine and is in no need of improvement whatsoever. It's the attack that's the problem as we're not scoring enough goals whistling.gif

In all seriousness - we can't out crosses, we can't deal with crosses when they come into the box and we can't deal with balls straight down the middle. Apart from that we're not bad at the back.

Have to echo the thoughts of an NFL coach (poz may know which one) when asked what he made of the "execution of his defence" replied: "I'm in favour of it."

John McKay - Tampa Bay Buccaneers. Had some good patter. Said he had a five year plan for the club, because he had a five year contract. If he'd been handed a three year contract, he'd have a three year plan.

http://www.bucpower.com/john-mckay2.html

Forget the CH pairing the 2 full backs are dreadful, most our problems come from them not stopping the initial cross into the box.

Yes we've not had a decent centre half partnership in years but the 2 full backs are causing all sorts of problems.

Naismith is a natural centre half and I would like to see him given a shot there but we don't have anyone else to fill in at right back.

Time for cheesy either to be used as back up or to find another club for him to be our 1st choice centre back

Edited by buddies1877

I think it's unfortunate that three good young players are going through the dip that happens to all young players in the early stages of their career. It's happened to better players than them who have gone on to be household names, Ryan Giggs had a shocking season early on in his career but Fergie kept faith with him.. It's partly mental, partly confidence and partly physical - the body changes after two or three seasons of full time training and players need time to adjust, hence the mental / confidence effects. If you ever saw the documentary on the Dutch / Ajax youth football system a few years ago it cropped up in their philosophy.

Sods law that our are just like buses, we've three come along at once.

I'd stop both full backs bombing forward, they should both sit 40 yards from the opp goal and no further. Play two proper wingers, stress anyone aside from Wylde, and train the wingers to realise that knocking it back to the full backs if they can't beat their man isn't a disaster. McGinn has to sit in the middle and be disciplined enough to not force it. No idea what I'd do up top, absolutely none. Another thing that would help the defense is not just launching it, retain possession. Play it to a holding mid, take it back, slide it wide, probe, be available. It may annoy W1, Row L, Seat 28, but he's a bell end who's opinion is irrelevant anyway.

I think it's unfortunate that three good young players are going through the dip

Is that cheese dip and avocado dip with nachos....... because both Kelly and particularly Naismith look like they have lost a lot of condition over the last year.

Do we monitor diet and weight because they both looked tremendous prospects but seem to have slacked off after initial praise to the point where they are now a concern and both seem to fade badly an hour or so through.

I'd stop both full backs bombing forward, they should both sit 40 yards from the opp goal and no further. Play two proper wingers, stress anyone aside from Wylde, and train the wingers to realise that knocking it back to the full backs if they can't beat their man isn't a disaster. McGinn has to sit in the middle and be disciplined enough to not force it. No idea what I'd do up top, absolutely none. Another thing that would help the defense is not just launching it, retain possession. Play it to a holding mid, take it back, slide it wide, probe, be available. It may annoy W1, Row L, Seat 28, but he's a bell end who's opinion is irrelevant anyway.

Totally agree.

Last week I thought you gave the defence a bit of unfair stick for their distribution and the point I made was that nobody was available, they were all hiding and someone should have dropped deep to take the ball off them.

Today we had Willo Flood do exactly that, he was often the deepest player on the park when Aberdeen were playing from the back. The play moved forward as he moved forward, always available and always composed.

Last week Teale instructed them to launch it forward when he should have instructed someone like Mallan to drop deep and take the ball off them.

Edited by davidg

Is that cheese dip and avocado dip with nachos....... because both Kelly and particularly Naismith look like they have lost a lot of condition over the last year.

Do we monitor diet and weight because they both looked tremendous prospects but seem to have slacked off after initial praise to the point where they are now a concern and both seem to fade badly an hour or so through.

Did we not get rid of our fitness coach? Just something that rings a bell.

Totally agree.

Last week I thought you gave the defence a bit of unfair stick for their distribution and the point I made was that nobody was available, they were all hiding and someone should have dropped deep to take the ball off them.

Today we had Willo Flood do exactly that, he was often the deepest player on the park when Aberdeen were playing from the back. The play moved forward as he moved forward, always available and always composed.

The problem last week David was that it wasn't like we were counting to 10 before it was launched. Goodwin had a free kick and launched it almost immediately before rounding on everyone. Cheesy does it constantly, either a launched ball, ball to a marked man or short at the man's knees. Sadly, Osbourne doesn't do the Flood or even Fleck/Kilkenny at Coventry and Preston NE as he's just not mobile enough. McGinn could be, indeed if Teale is mates with Pressley he should get a few tapes so McGinn can study Fleck who has reinvented himself lately.

This 100%. People blame McAusland quickly but fail to aknowledge the rest of the defence is f**king horrific.

I think it's unfortunate that three good young players are going through the dip that happens to all young players in the early stages of their career. It's happened to better players than them who have gone on to be household names, Ryan Giggs had a shocking season early on in his career but Fergie kept faith with him.. It's partly mental, partly confidence and partly physical - the body changes after two or three seasons of full time training and players need time to adjust, hence the mental / confidence effects. If you ever saw the documentary on the Dutch / Ajax youth football system a few years ago it cropped up in their philosophy.

Sods law that our are just like buses, we've three come along at once.

Who are you classing as the third along with Naismith and Kelly? McAusland is not a young player in footballing terms. He's 26.

Did we not get rid of our fitness coach? Just something that rings a bell.

We got rid of the sports scientist and video analyst in 2012 during the annual cost cutting because there was a slim chance we were going to go a penny over budget. Mind you, couldn't tell you who our fitness coach is these days so he may have gone at some point too. Doubt Austin McPhee was replaced either - although dunno if he got paid for his job and I'm not sure how much of his role was coaching/scouting and how much was landing us with foreign players of varying quality (Isma, Djemba-Djemba etc).

Edited by Stu

Bring back Will Haining or someone similar. Might have struggled a bit for pace but no nonsense and not afraid to be cynical when needed. Like Kelly should have been last week for the 2nd goal. If Kelly took him out like a Caley defender would have done then we would still have been in the game.

Depending on Cheesy's injury we may have to sign the Bulgarian that is training with us if he is still there and that totally smacks of panic.

Bring back Will Haining or someone similar. Might have struggled a bit for pace but no nonsense and not afraid to be cynical when needed. Like Kelly should have been last week for the 2nd goal. If Kelly took him out like a Caley defender would have done then we would still have been in the game.

Depending on Cheesy's injury we may have to sign the Bulgarian that is training with us if he is still there and that totally smacks of panic.

If we sign a defender now at the end of February would GT begin playing him before April?

At last someone who calls it as it is. The two full backs are not good defenders. Better attacking than defending and if they were both 34 they would be slated on here. As it is they're two of our academy so let's go easy on them get pumped every week and end up in the championship. Listen cheesy ain't great but he ain't as bad as these two. Naismith can't find a man can't jump and is dragged about the park something terrible. Kelly is too weak and too slow and gets pummelled for pace. Very vulnerable at the back. We are going down as we also have a shite attack. Thommo ain't fit and arquain isn't either. Is he actually interested?