Are We In Administration Trouble?

I've got lots to do, you could always give me a hand. (Yes, I know that comment is leaving it open for the usual suspects to delve into their "innuendo pots".)

I'd love to help you out, but I'm not sure I'm up to designing planets. fjords are particularly tricky.

It doesn't need a billionaire. It simply needs someone to recognise that we need a rainy day fund to, for example, allow a good player to be bought at a crucial time or for the wages to be paid when 2000 turn up for a midweek game.

Spending every penny with no allowance for fluctuations in a business which is known to be particularly prone to cash fluctuations is borderline financial mismanagement.

Whilst I agree with the main thrust of your point Oaksoft, surely the club now do indeed have a rainy day fund since the club sold Kenny McLean for "reportedly" £300,000.

Bit of a dramatic change from the club that went out and signed thommo, teale, McGowan, Carey, hasslebaink, tesselaar etc all in the same per season to what we have now. A team of wee boys earning peanuts! Then we sell our best player for at least half of what he was worth.

Doesn't add up as just the way a normal club is run. Something has happened in the last 2 years thats made us completely tear our whole squad apart and replace it with boys

Indeed something has happened. Rangers were liquidated and the phoenix club was elected to take their place in the fourth tier of Scottish Football. :rolleyes:

They're piss easy actually. How the f**k do you think I can manage it. Though, I'm going to insist that the next one I am involved in designing doesn't have green bigots, a deid club that don't know they're deid, religion, paedos, rapists, murderers, warmongers, extremists or Stuart Dickson.

You forgot these little Rodent's .....

post-8992-0-48197200-1424740283_thumb.jp

I may be completely wrong, but it seems that the club is in a sharp decline. The BoD have done a fantastic job over the years, but the reality is that they are trying to get out. There is no one out there willing to shell out the kind of money required to let Gilmour and co go, and, as a result, things have been allowed to drift along, rudderless. Following the cup win, if there was an interested party out there, a bid would have been made. The board, quite rightly, have tried to work within a tight budget, and have been pretty successful. The biggest mistake, by far, was the managerial appointment last summer. A club of our size is found out when a bad appointment is made, as it costs valuable scarce resources, to clean up the mess. If we go down, it isn't the end of the world, and I genuinely feel some sympathy for Gilmour and co, as no takeover looks likely. Football is a business that requires finance to succeed, and we are a medium sized Scottish club that will inevitably be too big for the lower leagues, but too small to challenge at the top table. As a fan of nearly 50 years, I accept that. It's time others did also.

I may be completely wrong, but it seems that the club is in a sharp decline. The BoD have done a fantastic job over the years, but the reality is that they are trying to get out. There is no one out there willing to shell out the kind of money required to let Gilmour and co go, and, as a result, things have been allowed to drift along, rudderless. Following the cup win, if there was an interested party out there, a bid would have been made. The board, quite rightly, have tried to work within a tight budget, and have been pretty successful. The biggest mistake, by far, was the managerial appointment last summer. A club of our size is found out when a bad appointment is made, as it costs valuable scarce resources, to clean up the mess. If we go down, it isn't the end of the world, and I genuinely feel some sympathy for Gilmour and co, as no takeover looks likely. Football is a business that requires finance to succeed, and we are a medium sized Scottish club that will inevitably be too big for the lower leagues, but too small to challenge at the top table. As a fan of nearly 50 years, I accept that. It's time others did also.

Spot on, a sane voice in a sea of nonsense. It would be no surprise if McLean was sold to balance the books as where else is the money to run an SPFL club coming from ??? Why would a board looking to get out put any more of their own cash in - put yourself in their shoe's. This situation will continue until a sale is made. Shortfalls will be made up for via cost cutting and player sales what else would you expect ? The club is openly for sale and no one is interested. Yes in hindsight maybe the CiC offer should have been accepted but that one apart we don't even know for sure if and real hard cash offers have been made. All we as fans can do is try to turn up in as large numbers as possible. Those publicly saying they are not going back are the very ones fanning these flames and while it's all a personal choice I find it odd that those who say on here they won't be back until there is major change then come onto threads on here moaning about cost cutting and insinuating we may be in financial bother...I wonder why that might be ???

I don't think many expect us to be challenging for the league but an odd season of a boring safe position in the league wouldn't be out of reach like ICT and St Johnstone manage to do time and time again.You're right about managerial appointment being damaging to us and for a board to get this so wrong after being very cautious about everything about club over the years doesn't sit right.The only way they are going to get rid of the club is a fans takeover as there's little interest.Decisions they have made recently and the leaked scare stories of Argies and crooks lining up to buy the club imo is to try for us to get off our arses to buy the club.Won't happen as seen before too much infighting goes on.Should have sold to GLS in the first place

Decisions they have made recently and the leaked scare stories of Argies and crooks lining up to buy the club imo is to try for us to get off our arses to buy the club.

I think if the consortium were really serious about selling to the fans, surely all they need to do is approach SMISA to try and come to some arrangement that could then be put to the fans, i.e. we're willing to sell for X amount, and will accept instalments over Y years.

That last sentence is exactly what the board want you to think.

"Rudderless" is a pretty accurate description of our plight.

You can't help feeling that the performances on the field, which occasionally show willing and effort, are then punctuated by rudderless, inefficient displays that leave us all frustrated at the direction the team and club are heading......... i.e. downwards!

I too have sympathy for Stuart Gilmour as he and the Board are basically in a catch 22 position. They have invested time and considerable effort to pull the club out of the pre-Tesco financial mire and at the other end of that dichotomy is a desire to extract what they believe is financial recompense for their investment. They get worded plaudits for the first part and no financial suitor for the latter part.

To use yet another metaphor, the club is floundering in the big open sea at present with the safety of land some distance away. They can see land and possible safety, but are struggling to make any headway towards a safe haven. Meanwhile the Captain and fellow officers of the good ship seem to have lost the will to invest in the said vessel to allow it to reach a safe port, never mind a dry dock to allow the vessel to have a new rudder attached!

Time for the BoD's, if they ultimately have any sense, to jump ship and cut their losses and allow a new and suitable crew aboard who will make a concerted effort to drive the boat for another few years.

I've posted in the past that it won't be easy for a fan based ownership to do any better, and that the tough decisions would have to be made by someone in charge, but I'm pretty sure anything would be better and more optimistic than the present malaise.

"Rudderless" is a pretty accurate description of our plight.

You can't help feeling that the performances on the field, which occasionally show willing and effort, are then punctuated by rudderless, inefficient displays that leave us all frustrated at the direction the team and club are heading......... i.e. downwards!

I too have sympathy for Stuart Gilmour as he and the Board are basically in a catch 22 position. They have invested time and considerable effort to pull the club out of the pre-Tesco financial mire and at the other end of that dichotomy is a desire to extract what they believe is financial recompense for their investment. They get worded plaudits for the first part and no financial suitor for the latter part.

To use yet another metaphor, the club is floundering in the big open sea at present with the safety of land some distance away. They can see land and possible safety, but are struggling to make any headway towards a safe haven. Meanwhile the Captain and fellow officers of the good ship seem to have lost the will to invest in the said vessel to allow it to reach a safe port, never mind a dry dock to allow the vessel to have a new rudder attached!

Time for the BoD's, if they ultimately have any sense, to jump ship and cut their losses and allow a new and suitable crew aboard who will make a concerted effort to drive the boat for another few years.

I've posted in the past that it won't be easy for a fan based ownership to do any better, and that the tough decisions would have to be made by someone in charge, but I'm pretty sure anything would be better and more optimistic than the present malaise.

There lies the problem. Are you sure pretty much anything would be better.

Pod Posted:

There lies the problem. Are you sure pretty much anything would be better.

Pod, absolutely correct, but if the BoD's jumped ship and left it without extracting, what they think they are due and accept that sometimes you have to cut your losses, then I would hope that a consortium of bright enough people with the Club at their heart would step up to the plate.

You may say that is cloud cuckoo land bangin.gif but if you don't believe that someone is prepared to take on an (at present) Premier League Club in Scotland on that basis, what chance has anyone got in Scotland of surviving.

I have to believe in the concept that better times are around the corner for Scottish football, as opposed to saying it's all doom and gloom and that "we are all doomed I say"! The corner might be a little bit further away than we might want to believe, but if you look at the club structure now as opposed to 10 or 15 years ago the clubs are now bringing more grass roots talent through and are importing less players than we did in the past (thanks partly to the demise of the Govan mob).

That surely must lead to more and better players getting to the Scottish International team and whilst I worry that the immense and immoral amounts of money that is thrown at the English Premiership is eventually going to filter down to the Conference level and probably allow them to pay more to their players than we do in Scotland, it doesn't mean that Scottish football is doomed.

Sad fact but true...................... Scotland needs at least three to four strong clubs to make the league competitive and also to attract more TV money. Saints aren't going to be one of these four, we never have and never will compete financially with the two Glasgow giants, Aberdeen or Hearts. That's not to say we can't compete on the park with them occasionally and win cups, but Saints won't be the catalyst to TV investment in the Scottish game.

So, to get back to your point, yes I think we could find a group of intelligent, well-meaning, financially sound individuals who don't want to rip the heart or assets out of the club and are willing to invest the time to keep us in the upper echelon..................... come to think of it, isn't that what we currently have?whistling.gif