Slightly Obscure Friendlies

A wee question?... did we once have a club shop somewhere near the court bar, I'm sure I can remember it, or

maybe I'm tripping oot my nut ....1eye.gif

We did.

It was mainly a St Mirren Pools shop but they also sold a good selection of programmes from all over.

I remember a shop in New St that sold programmes in the 70s.Anybody else remember it?

We did.

It was mainly a St Mirren Pools shop but they also sold a good selection of programmes from all over.

I remember a shop in New St that sold programmes in the 70s.Anybody else remember it?

Yes.it was in St.James Street. I was in one day blethering to the guy who was normally there when Alex Ferguson came in. I had never met him and I was virtually tongue tied. I was honestly in awe of him. Not sure what year but Alex was probably at the height of his powers then so far as we were concerned. He was really affable and spoke away to me and the other guy for ages. From memory the stock was kind of bog standard from programmes to shirts, mugs etc. I think it disappeared about the same time as Alex.

Yes.it was in St.James Street. I was in one day blethering to the guy who was normally there when Alex Ferguson came in. I had never met him and I was virtually tongue tied. I was honestly in awe of him. Not sure what year but Alex was probably at the height of his powers then so far as we were concerned. He was really affable and spoke away to me and the other guy for ages. From memory the stock was kind of bog standard from programmes to shirts, mugs etc. I think it disappeared about the same time as Alex.

I could be wrong but were we not in the shop in the Piazza by the time Fergie left?

I could be wrong but were we not in the shop in the Piazza by the time Fergie left?

I'd forgotten it was even in the piazza even though I was in it often enough. I should have remembered because i decked an asshole in the doorway there once. i really am an easy going guy and have very seldom ever lifted my hand but this twat was asking for it.

A wee question?... did we once have a club shop somewhere near the court bar, I'm sure I can remember it, or

maybe I'm tripping oot my nut ....1eye.gif

Whilst browsing copies of The Saint after discussion on another thread, I came across this:-

http://www.stmirren....Saintsshop1.jpg

Hope this will ease your thoughts of tripping!!!

Edited by SBS

Along the theme of silly friendlies / challenge matches , think it might be quite a good idea to suggest to Coventry City that they might want to play the second Leg of the British Cup thing , that we played the first Leg of 1987 ( Might need to establish first whether or not away goals count double )

Along the theme of silly friendlies / challenge matches , think it might be quite a good idea to suggest to Coventry City that they might want to play the second Leg of the British Cup thing , that we played the first Leg of 1987 ( Might need to establish first whether or not away goals count double )

I was thinking that the other day.

We could play pre - season.

And charge 1987 Admission Prices. ( for those who dinnae have a Season Ticket, which wid be valid for entry )

I was thinking that the other day.

We could play pre - season.

And charge 1987 Admission Prices. ( for those who dinnae have a Season Ticket, which wid be valid for entry )

Have you not held on to your old stub?

Sorry to see Coventry in League One, especially so near the bottom. Is Mowbray the man to get them out of trouble? I've always thought that Coventry is one of those clubs where there's nothing to dislike. Knowing our guys, someone will come up with something now.

Have you not held on to your old stub?

Sorry to see Coventry in League One, especially so near the bottom. Is Mowbray the man to get them out of trouble? I've always thought that Coventry is one of those clubs where there's nothing to dislike. Knowing our guys, someone will come up with something now.

SG and Co is what Cov needed years back and now....?

Mike Ashley would do a better job than Mowbray.

Stupid spending in the past, crippling debts and no sugar daddy is what's brought Cov to where it is.

I spent several seasons training up on a Saturday with london Cov fans and going to matches in London - so I still have a sorrowful liking for them. :(

I even hoped Pressley could work some magic.

At least they're back home. For the moment.

• 7 months later...

St Mirren got a mentioned in the Guardians 'The Knowledge' column this week - http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/nov/04/the-knowledge-footballs-most-successful-towns

ETA - Not for 'most succesful towns' whistling.gif

GAMES THAT NO ONE BOTHERED PLAYING

A few weeks ago we recounted the strange tale of the Reggiana v Stoke fixture in the much-maligned Anglo-Italian Cup in December 1995. Or, more accurately, the non-fixture – the game was initially cancelled because of snow and the teams never bothered to rearrange the tie as neither had any chance of getting past the group stages.

So we were looking for other matches that were left unplayed because there was no point in playing them, and as ever the Knowledge readership has provided.

“Back in the dark days of the late 80s and the Heysel ban, there were no places in Europe for English teams,” writes Paul Lapper. “So when Coventry won the 1987 FA Cup I was resigned to the lack of a European adventure. However, some marketing genius decided to re-establish the Anglo-Scottish Challenge Cup as a play-off between the English and Scottish Cup winners, so European(ish) adventure was back on. I duly went to Highfield Road for the first leg in December 1987, where Coventry and St Mirren played out a drab 1-1 draw. While this should have set things up beautifully for the second leg in Paisley, in fact the match never took place and the tie is undecided to this day. This permanent postponement is usually blamed on a lack of interest from the clubs in what was, let’s face it, a pretty worthless trophy.” You can read more about the aborted Battle of Britain in this When Saturday Comes piece. (http://www.wsc.co.uk/the-archive/30-Clubs/435-missing-a-leg)

Edited by irvine_buddie