So Farewell Then, Dave Mackay...

bluto

What a great player but he was of his time. These ferocious tacklers got away with a lot back then that would get them in a lot of bother today. There was almost a tacit kind of three hits before you're in bother rule then and Dave exploited it. If Dave Mackay and Jim Goodwin went head to head in a tackle, I honestly believe Jim wouldn't know what hit him. Physically Mackay was built like Davy Lapsley and I must have seen them cross swords at Love Street but I'm damned if I remember anything untoward happening. Despite what I've said about him, I wish we had his like, and Davy Lapsley, playing for St.Mirren and Scotland today.

Shull'll probably start a thread soon.... :)

I was going to when I noticed a RIP on Facebook.

However, I googled some News Channels and couldn't find confirmation.

After the Tony Hart doodah,I decided to pass. Lol

What a great player but he was of his time. These ferocious tacklers got away with a lot back then that would get them in a lot of bother today. There was almost a tacit kind of three hits before you're in bother rule then and Dave exploited it. If Dave Mackay and Jim Goodwin went head to head in a tackle, I honestly believe Jim wouldn't know what hit him. Physically Mackay was built like Davy Lapsley and I must have seen them cross swords at Love Street but I'm damned if I remember anything untoward happening. Despite what I've said about him, I wish we had his like, and Davy Lapsley, playing for St.Mirren and Scotland today.

That's a tad unfair

He was a hardly player but no liberty taker

By all accounts a skillful player with passing ability with both feet

Brian Clough said he watched in awe as he continuely kept the ball off the ground by hitting volleys off a wall with either foot for ages at a time

Greaves said he was Spurs greatest ever player

With players he played with in their greatest ever side i think he was more than a hatchet man

That's a tad unfair

He was a hardly player but no liberty taker

By all accounts a skillful player with passing ability with both feet

Brian Clough said he watched in awe as he continuely kept the ball off the ground by hitting volleys off a wall with either foot for ages at a time

Greaves said he was Spurs greatest ever player

With players he played with in their greatest ever side i think he was more than a hatchet man

I never meant to infer he was only a hatchet man. He was much more than that. He would still play for Scotland today if he could be reincarnated and he would still be a great player but he would have to be very careful. Any time in the past, or this morning when I heard the sad news, the first thing that springs to mind when I think of Dave is those ferocious tackles. I always felt a Centurion tank might beat him but by God he would dent it!