What Do You Do With An Old Ocean Liner?

RickMcD

The above is an interesting article in today's BBC England News site. Most of us were born somewhere in the Clyde Valley and so we're all supposed to have ships and shipbuilding somewhere in our Jeans! Three generations of my wife's family worked in John Brown's. Some of my forebears on my father's side worked in the yards in Greenock but we naturally keep quiet about them. I'd be quite happy to see the QE2 moored in London. It would be great in Glasgow but is Glasgow big enough?

I can't do links without cocking them up but here's the link in black and white:-

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-31027936

I watched it being lauched from the field opposite John Broons over in Renfrew , there was a big wave that came rushing towards us right after the ship went into the water , despite a rozzer telling folk to get out the way , some still got wet . Wouldn't be allowed nowadays, health and safety . .

ETA ; the Red arrows were gid tae , that day. .

Edited by saintnextlifetime

I watched it being lauched from the field opposite John Broons over in Renfrew , there was a big wave that came rushing towards us right after the ship went into the water , despite a rozzer telling folk to get out the way , some still got wet . Wouldn't be allowed nowadays, health and safety . .

I was there too, in the old Blythswood Estate just where the Cart flows into the Clyde, now The Normandy Hotel and Renfrew Golf course. Twas quite a sight... the ship and the running!

Edited by Vambo57

Moored in Clydebank alongside the Titan crane . Develop the area in the same way the Leith area has been developed with Britannia. Would be a great tribute to the people who built it & a massive boost to the area .

Is there room on the Clyde at Clydebank and would there be the required footfall to make it successful?

I never got to see the launch. Couldn't get off work. Bastards.

The above is an interesting article in today's BBC England News site. Most of us were born somewhere in the Clyde Valley and so we're all supposed to have ships and shipbuilding somewhere in our Jeans! Three generations of my wife's family worked in John Brown's. Some of my forebears on my father's side worked in the yards in Greenock but we naturally keep quiet about them. I'd be quite happy to see the QE2 moored in London. It would be great in Glasgow but is Glasgow big enough?

I can't do links without cocking them up but here's the link in black and white:-

Not me. My JEANS are only just big enough for me to get into!

Plenty of room on the clyde these days.

There's me thing it was launched in Browns yard in Clydebank.whistling.gif