Derry Or Londonderry?

shull

Or neither?

Let's go for neither.

Let the people over there have a new name for their great City. A name that the vast majority will agree on.

Any suggestions?

You could never get them to agree, even if they agreed. They wouldn't want to be seen to be agreeing. That's the eejits I'm talking about and there are plenty. I'm sure you've heard London/Derry which lead Gerry Anderson to naming it Stroke city which has half caught on. I don't have a clue how to pronounce it in Gaelic. Or do I mean Erse? It's also known as The Maiden City. How about Virgin City?

You could never get them to agree, even if they agreed. They wouldn't want to be seen to be agreeing. That's the eejits I'm talking about and there are plenty. I'm sure you've heard London/Derry which lead Gerry Anderson to naming it Stroke city which has half caught on. I don't have a clue how to pronounce it in Gaelic. Or do I mean Erse? It's also known as The Maiden City. How about Virgin City?

I bet it would have great broadband.

Or neither?

Let's go for neither.

Let the people over there have a new name for their great City. A name that the vast majority will agree on.

Any suggestions?

Life is too short to care about bigots and what they want to argue over.

I'm just glad I don't have to live amongst that type.

Life is too short to care about bigots and what they want to argue over.

I'm just glad I don't have to live amongst that type.

Ah.

So you're deaf and blind, then. :o

My apologies - I knew there had to be some reason lying behind you making so many other silly, incorrect assertions.

Ah.

So you're deaf and blind, then. ohmy.png

My apologies - I knew there had to be some reason lying behind you making so many other silly, incorrect assertions.

I don't talk to Oaky so you can tell him from me that there was a huge collective sigh of relief from the whole population over here when they heard that he ain't coming!

My good lady was born and bred there. The original name was Doire with a funny wee thing over one of the letters. It means oak grove. The London bit was added when the labour to build the city were brought over from ....er.....London. Having spent quite a bit of time there it is clearly really important to both communities to retain the name they choose. Another description I like is that it's the only city in the world with six silent letters! I think they should upset everyone and call it greenock

A couple of my uni lecturers pronounced it "itch". Weird cunts. Even worse that " haitch".

In the same vein (or vane, who cares?), why, nowadays, is "an" always used before a word starting with "h", even ones without a silent " h"? "An hotel"? " An horse"? f**k off, it's "A" not "An"! I blame EastEnders for it (and also for " fink" instead of "think" etc.). f**king BBC! It'll all be Clarkson's fault. whistling.gif:

Haud yer hoarses.

We don't aw talk like yon.... :angry:

A couple of my uni lecturers pronounced it "itch". Weird cunts. Even worse that " haitch".

In the same vein (or vane, who cares?), why, nowadays, is "an" always used before a word starting with "h", even ones without a silent " h"? "An hotel"? " An horse"? f**k off, it's "A" not "An"! I blame EastEnders for it (and also for " fink" instead of "think" etc.). f**king BBC! It'll all be Clarkson's fault. whistling.gif:

There's a bit of me that harks back to when I was being taught grammar by the nuns at primary school - usually augmented by the thwack of a thick wooden ruler onto my cranium bangin.gif and makes me think that if we let standards slip then the next thing'll be the barbarians taking away whatever good things we have (I would say our women but the forum is largely bereft of them spudnikdaddyo.gif) but then I think as long as people can understand what you're saying then does it really matter..................................

You just slipped that it to boast that you've been at Uni. You're a asshole.