Tony Fitzpatrick - A True Club Legend

This is being shared in it's entirety for the first time!

Recorded in 2008, it is a full hour long interview with club legend Tony Fitzpatrick, which was eventually edited into a contribution for LOVE STREET - THE FINAL CHAPTER, the rather splendid publication that was the brainchild of the geniuis that is POZBAIRD!

This one hour was quite simply one of the most memorable ones of my entire life... one that I will truly cherish until my dying day.

Tony Fitzpatrick was my Roy of the Rovers. My hero.

My Dad introduced me to him in the main stand when I was just 12... I was dumbstruck and in awe.... couldn't even utter a single word.

31 years later, I didn't want to speak... I just wanted to listen!

Hopefully you will too.

I am no Russell Harty or Jeremy Paxman... but hopefully I made the great man at ease enough that you too will hang on his every word as I did!!!

Ladies and Gentlemen... a world exclusive... the legend that is Tony Fitzpatrick...

(the first 10 seconds or so are corrupted, but after that the sound is fine... hang on in there!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DgobCtlea7o#t=46

Loved watching him play and really love listening to him talking about St Mirren.

The passion for our Club oozes out of him.

Remember he used to be on The Radio , Q96 , every Friday night. Absolute classic Tony talking total positivity at all times.

He walked passed my Car a few months ago as I was sitting at the lights in Glasgow.

I was awestruck and dumbstruck but I managed a hello which he returned with a smile.

Made my day thumbup2.gif

Not only the best player ever to grace the stripes, but an absolute gentleman as well. Truly a legend.

Difficult to disagree with that . I have met Tony a couple of times and spent a night at a fundraiser sitting at the table next to his , as you say an absolute gentleman , he also has a great sense of humour and just a very decent human being. .

I find it sad that there is no role for tony at our club. He is an absolute club legend and having him about the place would undoubtedly lift both players and fans. Could tony come in and help Gary from now till the end of the season. Another pair of eyes and a man who can motivate. Just a thought but I would be delighted to see him involved.

• 3 months later...

Legend Tony in the Media this morning.

Saying. ...

" I was absolutely gutted when we went down because we aren't just a Premiership Club - we're a top six team.

When I see teams like Dundee, St Johnstone, Inverness, no disrespect, but St Mirren's potential is way above that. "

FITZY IS ANOTHER ST MIRREN GOD

First nomination to join the board if and when this new takeover bid gets through.Wonderful ambassador for our club.

I liked him as a player and a person and, doubtless, he's a great ambassador for the club, but I'm no so sure about his business acumen. I could well be wrong.

I liked him as a player and a person and, doubtless, he's a great ambassador for the club, but I'm no so sure about his business acumen. I could well be wrong.

We need a lawyer,banker,businessmen and a football man with a knowledge of how footballers tick.Tony fits the latter and would be a stick on for club ambassador.No business knowledge required but he has worked for himself for a number of years now.

• 6 years later...