Should We Sack Gary Teal

There would be absolutely no point in sacking Gary Teale at this stage.

I don't think anyone would get us out of this mess. Sadly it's too little too late.

I know there's still a chance we will turn it around and obviously hope we do but the way this season has panned out, I think we're destined for the drop.

We have completely hit the self destruct button this season, the appointment of Craig and his terrible transfer dealings, taking too long to remove him when EVERYONE (apart from the usual twats) could see it wasn't working! Then placing Gary in charge and SG telling the fans we need a wheeler and dealer type figure... What a load of shite that was, what we need is a new board!!

I've just sat and watched the cup final dvd, we are light years away from those days at the moment. We will come back up and the 'good times' will return, sadly it might be a good while until that happens.

Great either way for Gary Teale then?

Stay up, he is a hero. Go down, not his fault?

Win/Win, nice one.

Well To be honest it is a win/win for him. He was asked to do the job, given the BOD recent record I dread to think who we'd have right now if he said no. If we stay up, for a guy with no experience, that would be a good job well done.

Edited by proudtobeabuddy

I did say if I recall correctly FFS lol.gif:

I was about 12 years old, sorry. I do remember a lot of angry fans when we got pumped 1-5 at home by Airdrieonians though, and not a lot of surprise when he was sacked.

You could have just accepted the evidence of the league table that we weren't anywhere near the relegation zone when he was sacked.............

Anyway as I said - much maligned as a manager has been Tony-F! Apart from the Great Collapse of 90/91 I thought he did just about as well as could be expected with the resources available to him...............

No point of sacking Teale give him till the end of the season!

IF we stay up I don't want Garry as manager.

IF we go down I don't wanr Garry as manager!

I have nothing against Garry Teale I just think St.Mirren need to take a new approach to how they run our club!

Garrys signings have not been the best and he can't get the level of performance that Danny Lennon got out Naismith Kelly and McGinn!

But why sack him now? Who would want the job?

Much prefer to get rid of the board before end of the season.

here's the question though do you think Garry is better than Danny?

I think Danny was better! And that's the reason I don't want Garry as long term manager....

I like Tony. He's a really nice down to earth guy and a true Buddie. But he wasn't a good manager. Maybe it had to do with him being too nice and knowing most of the players. He deserved a chance at it.

Having said that, he did give us a 3-0 Darkshed victory. biggrin.png

I do realize the obvious weakness in saying that if you ignore the bad results then his record is good and I understand that he had two chances and didn't succeed either time but I think there were other factors at work in 90/91 and outside of that it was par for the course.

I'm not trying to suggest TF was a good manager and I'd agree that he was probably too close to the 90/91 squad in terms of age (he'd still have been in his mid-30's) and having played/trained with them but he wasn't as bad as is often made out....................

Edited by Bud the Baker

Today, from looking at the reports, we brought Dayton off and put Arquin up with Thommo in a 4-4-2. Minutes later, we concede another goal and it's 2-0. Did Teale not learn anything from the ICT game that we can't play that formation with those players?

Bring someone else in for the rest of the season. Keep Teale on the coaching staff, maybe. Not his fault, and I feel sorry for him, but he won't save us. We're down already anyway.

Edited by ulysses

I have now accepted relegation , and maybe now is the time to bring Butcher on board , we need to be looking at getting the right players in to help us push for promotion now , I don,t think Teale has the contacts or the knowledge to bring in the right players for next season.

I have now accepted relegation , and maybe now is the time to bring Butcher on board , we need to be looking at getting the right players in to help us push for promotion now , I don,t think Teale has the contacts or the knowledge to bring in the right players for next season.

I,ve changed my mind , we can still stay up if we win our remaining games

Butcher was my choice back in December Griff, so I'm not going to disagree with your shout, however I've no confidence at all that our Board will finance it....

This season has been all about saving money. Instead of advertising and interviewing candidates for the managers job back in May the BOD as we know appointed Tommy Craig, and promoted two existing players to the role of player/coach. There were many on here, even at that time, smart enough to see the writing on the wall. We then had a series of very odd signings, most notably three strikers (Ball, Marwood and Caldwell) none of whom had a track record of scoring goals. In fact, there was nothing about their career stats that even suggested they played in the final third of the pitch.

Fast forward to December and history repeated itself. The BOD decided against appointing experience to get us out of the hell hole we were in, instead they appointed Gary Teale, an existing player and someone who had zero managerial experience. Those of us totally against that appointment expected to be appeased by the recruitment of an experienced and wise old head in the role of assistant manager. Not for our BOD, instead they asked Longwell to step forward in to the spotlight.

Focussing again on the striker situation, the BOD still would not accept, like many of us reluctantly have, that Thommo is now very much in the twilight of his career. So instead of a replacement to hopefully fire us to safety we got Arquin from Ross County (where he had scored 2 in 19 appearances) and Gow from the dole queue who had not played for 12 months.

I know there are many on here who love to preach that we are a club that gets relegated and "it's our turn". I get that, I've supported St Mirren all my life. What I simply do not buy though is that we should be anywhere near relegation THIS season. No newRangers, Hearts or Hibs, two new teams to the Prem in Dundee and Hamilton, and a whole lot of shyte in the form of Killie, Partick, Ross County and Motherwell. Of all the seasons to be on the verge of relegation this, surely, was not the one.

To those who made the trip to Perth, I tip my hat to you. I had to work, and for once I wasn't sorry about that. Let's not pull any punches, our Board have shown gross negligence and incompetence over the last 10 months, and our league position and predicament are a direct result.

You could have just accepted the evidence of the league table that we weren't anywhere near the relegation zone when he was sacked.............

Anyway as I said - much maligned as a manager has been Tony-F! Apart from the Great Collapse of 90/91 I thought he did just about as well as could be expected with the resources available to him...............

A board led by SGG would never appoint Tony Fitzpatrick as manager at the club.

I thought Teale had improved things after the nadir of TC's reign. He had the team playing well and competing and on the last day of the transfer window we sell Kenny McLean who had been instrumental in getting the team playing well and chipping in with lots of key goals. I think if we had kept McLean and continued with the momentum at that point we might have been just about OK.

Teale lost our only consistent goal threat and we then ended up trying to sign young loan players and out of contract players after the window closed to try and rectify losing McLean at the last minute.

The January window was always going to be key. We spent most of it unsure if the club was being sold or who our next manager was going to be when we should have been concentrating on making 3 or 4 signings of proven SPL standard to save our season. Ross County were 6 points behind us but spent well and turned their season around and are now 7 points ahead of us.

Teale was forced into taking punts on the replacements for TC's deadwood.

Where I do think he is culpable is saying this week that with 9 games to go he was setting the squad a target of taking 12 points before the end of the season. Quite clearly this goes back to counting on our rivals who were 4 points ahead of us before today losing nearly all their games. We should be looking at the teams outwith Celtic, Aberdeen, ICT and possibly DUFC and expecting to take points off St Johnstone, Dundee, Hamilton, Kilmarnock as well as Thistle, Motherwell and County, especially when we are supposed to be fighting for our lives while the teams from 6th-9th have nothing really to play for at this stage of the season.

The answer to the OP's question has to be yes, we should sack Gary Teale.

I don't agree that it was too late and the blame is firmly on the board (no denying Craig mistake tho). Teale in recent weeks has let our position in the league slide from Premiership safety to 4 points behind play off spot and 7 from safety.

The initial positive reaction is gone and we've found out he can't do the job.

Edited by davidg

All too late we have shown a lack of ambition from start of the season and thereafter, in a very low level league we will be relegated whilst 2 Highland League teams will survive ,along with a few teams aka Accies ,Thistle ,St.Johnstone as well,... really piss poor !

After a long time of looking at it in the positive ! I am now totally hacked off and probably won't bother next season ....even looking for the score in the bottom league ....get rid of Teale ,he was never up to the job , but was still better than the BOD first choice of that wee fud Craig...all in all train wreck !,,,,bring on Morton

The board won't do anything but hide. They have fecked this season right up. Teale will remain in position with no help. There is no way they will bring in an experienced manager now. I fear not only for the remainder of this season but subsequent seasons also until we get a change of ownership.