Should We Sack Gary Teal

I feel sorry for Gary Teale, if it was the middle of october I would say give him to

January to see if he can turn things around... but sadly it's not..

Desperate times calls for desperate measures, and we're up to our necks in it, one

last throw of the dice, and get an experienced manager in (anycunt)... it's maybe too

late but it's surely the only chance we have...

Assuming the club won,t be sold , and we are looking for a cheap option , what about appointing Jimmy Nichol as a sort of General Manager with a remit to pass on his experience to Teale and Longwall .

If its possible could we get Nicholl on a pre contract agreement , so we as a team can make a few pre contract signings and identify hard working experienced Championship players who can get us competeing for promotion next season.

Assuming the club won,t be sold , and we are looking for a cheap option , what about appointing Jimmy Nichol as a sort of General Manager with a remit to pass on his experience to Teale and Longwall .

If its possible could we get Nicholl on a pre contract agreement , so we as a team can make a few pre contract signings and identify hard working experienced Championship players who can get us competeing for promotion next season.

Nah, he offered his resignation to Cowdenbeath a few times recently. That's where he's at...

If we were to approach someone experienced to try and save us til the end of the season it should be Calderwood.

His last 2 jobs in Scotland highlight his capability to make a short term impact on struggling clubs.

Dunfermline - 38% win ratio

Aberdeen - 41.% win ratio

Over 400 games in charge between these 2 clubs

Took over Killie in January who had won 16% of their games.

Win ration of 30% after this and kept them up.

Took over Ross County mid Feb when they had only won 3 games all season (12% win ratio)

40% win ratio for the rest of the season.

a win ratio of 40% would get us about ten points out of 24, so what's the point?

a win ratio of 40% would get us about ten points out of 24, so what's the point?

Simply as you mentioned win percentages 'beyond our ken', and just for general interest (I use the term loosely) here are the LEAGUE win percentages since coming back in to the top tier of Scottish Football in 2006/2007. Wins of course don't tell the whole story, but they are banded about as a key indicator of a managers stock.

Season Manager Win% Finish Position

2006/2007 GM 21% 11th

2007/2008 GM 26% 10th

2008/2009 GM 23% 11th

2009/2010 GM 18% 10th

2010/2011 DL 21% 11th

2011/2012 DL 23% 8th

2012/2013 DL 23% 11th

2013/2014 DL 26% 8th

2014/2015 TC 13% 15 League games to and including 6th December

2014/2015 GT 26% 15 League games to date

Simply as you mentioned win percentages 'beyond our ken', and just for general interest (I use the term loosely) here are the LEAGUE win percentages since coming back in to the top tier of Scottish Football in 2006/2007. Wins of course don't tell the whole story, but they are banded about as a key indicator of a managers stock.

2006/2007 GM 21% 11th
2007/2008 GM 26% 10th
2008/2009 GM 23% 11th
2009/2010 GM 18% 10th

2010/2011 DL 21% 11th
2011/2012 DL 23% 8th
2012/2013 DL 23% 11th
2013/2014 DL 26% 8th

so calderwood is the man to re-build the club? i don't think so and putting him in short term with no chance of new players WON'T deliver a 40% win ratio. and we need might need a 75-85% win ratio to survive (not make the play-off, but actually survive in the SPL)

No-one has any time to come in and turn things around in the 8 games we have left

Edited by beyond our ken

2006/2007 GM 21% 11th

2007/2008 GM 26% 10th

2008/2009 GM 23% 11th

2009/2010 GM 18% 10th

2010/2011 DL 21% 11th

2011/2012 DL 23% 8th

2012/2013 DL 23% 11th

2013/2014 DL 26% 8th

Some very good work there WP.

However...

Just for balance...

The first 6 seasons had the Old Rangers in the league and the latter 3 seasons have, in effect, had the old Rangers replaced by a side from the second tier. This season also sees the exclusion of Hearts and last season had a weakened Hearts, whereas all the previous seasons had a Hearts which had the 3rd biggest wage budget in Scotland.

So, its not a truly like for like comparison... :P

Interesting to note though that GM's 4 seasons in the top flight see a better win % than DL's first 3 seasons... despite the fact that he had a £3 million debt and no training facilities for a large part of that era and DL didn't face Rangers in his second last season.

so calderwood is the man to re-build the club? i don't think so and putting him in short term with no chance of new players WON'T deliver a 40% win ratio. and we need might need a 75-85% win ratio to survive (not make the play-off, but actually survive in the SPL)

No-one has any time to come in and turn things around in the 8 games we have left

> so calderwood is the man to re-build the club? i don't think so....

Not sure if that was directed at myself beyond? Hope not as I in fact agree with you. I was simply providing the stats as a point of interest, nothing to do with Calderwood (or any other potential replacement candidate) at all.

Some very good work there WP.

However...

Just for balance...

The first 6 seasons had the Old Rangers in the league and the latter 3 seasons have, in effect, had the old Rangers replaced by a side from the second tier. This season also sees the exclusion of Hearts and last season had a weakened Hearts, whereas all the previous seasons had a Hearts which had the 3rd biggest wage budget in Scotland.

So, its not a truly like for like comparison... tongue.png

Interesting to note though that GM's 4 seasons in the top flight see a better win % than DL's first 3 seasons... despite the fact that he had a £3 million debt and no training facilities for a large part of that era and DL didn't face Rangers in his second last season.

> So, its not a truly like for like comparison... tongue.png

Agree entirely AA, it really was just a straightforward set of stats that I posted for interest, it was in no way an attempt to draw comparisons with one season or another. As per your examples, there are simply too many factors and complexities for that to ever be of any value.

I guess there are themes to be drawn? As 'beyond our ken' has rightly eluded to, if we are going to survive then we certainly need to blow our average win% out of the water in the most spectacular form, starting a week on Friday against Celtic! unsure.png

• 2 weeks later...

This boy Morgan is light years away from the first team.He has been used as a sub a few times and I just cannot see his potential.He is lightweight and to pitch him against Ambrose defied logic.I just wonder what influence Longwell had.Deary me Gary is barely into coaching and yet our wonderful Board thought he could take us forward.You could not make all this up.