As A Fan Does Relegation Mean That Much ?

Ignoring the obvious financial implications as a supporter relegation means very little to me. I enjoy going to a game on a Saturday, enjoy the social side meeting my mates for a few beers. I really couldn't care less whether we are playing Hammies, RC, ICT or Falkirk, Dumbarton , Raith. Add in the bonus of swapping Ton games for Septic plus the increased chances of winning a few games and from a purely personal point of view relegation will mean very little to me. Season after season struggling in the prem is depressing.

Struggling in the championship would be even more depressing. I would rather we remain in the top league and get an experienced manager who clears out the deadwood and has us scoring goals again, it is tragic that we are not competing with the likes of Hamilton, ICT, Kilmarnock and Partick

I was thinking the same. If you could guarantee coming back into the spl within two season I would think it would be a relatively good thing but if we did get relegated and ended up like Falkirk being out the top flight for a long tone then no

The prospect of no far away games is good for me. As I hate traveling to Aberdeen ict Abd county.

Prospect of Morton Dumbarton etc. is ok

The Championship is ok if you're winning games and challenging near the top.

However there is no guarantee that we'd be doing that and the seasons when we struggled at that level in the late 90's (and even a couple in the early noughties) were the most depressing ever in my view.

From a financial perspective it would be damaging for the club and we could remain in the lower league(s) for some considerable time.

I'll take staying up thank you very much.

I won't find watching us get pumped by Hibs/Rangers/Falkirk/Queens entertaining at all. With the likely outcome being a St Mirren team full of kids and the odd journeyman pro hanging around, overseen by goodness knows who in the manager's suit, and who-gives-a-fcuk still in the boardroom.

Hurrumph. Cue Oaksoft, 'get a life' yadda, yadda, yadda.

Surely we all want to be in the top league? We could do without the heart attack stuff but it's a hell of a lack of ambition to settle for the lower leagues. It's easy to end up on a slippery slope into obscurity. Or worse.

Its far to late we are almost at the bottom of the slippery slope never to be seen again for years to come we are getting what's deserved coming to us .

So the consensus so far is that if we stay up and change managers then some how we would have a top flight season without a relegation fear but if we went down we would disappear into obscurity ! Both seem very extreme views to me. I'm not saying we would win the Championship at the first attempt but I'm sure we would win more games than this season. As I stated in the O P I'm taking the financial side out of this completely. Take half a dozens years out of my 40 watching Saints and all the good ones have been in the second tier. I'm sick of watching us struggling against the ICTs and St Johnston's if we can't compete with those size of clubs then we need to drop down and rebuild.

Take half a dozens years out of my 40 watching Saints and all the good ones have been in the second tier.

The vast majority of our seasons in the second tier were awful.

We were in battles to avoid dropping to the third tier FFS.

When Gus Macpherson took charge we were in our 3rd successive battle against relegation to the third tier and were up against part time Ayr United.

I can remember relegation battles in years gone by with Stranraer & Stirling Albion. I can remember the likes of Stirling Albion, Arbroath & Dumbarton coming to Love Street and putting 3 past us. I can remember Clyde coming to Love Street and putting 4 past us!

I can remember going to games against Queen of the South & Clyde expecting to lose!

Yes, its great when we eventually get a good season and win promotion or the league... but most of the time is brutal.

And the possibility of being in the second tier against the likes of The Rangers, Hibernian, Falkirk, Queen of the South, Raith Rovers... and them being better than us... is just to dreadful to think about.

Have been following St Mirren since 1967 so seen it all before.

I wont be renewing my season ticket if we go down just choosing the games I want to see.

A couple of Saturday's ago I went up to Glasgow for the afternoon with the wife. We had a drink in the Humming Bird before going to see a swing band in a pub. From there we went to a Tapas bar then got the ferry and train home.

It was a great day out really enjoyed it. Meeting other couples in the bar and chatting. nipping into the public bar to check the coupon having a laugh with fellow guy's checking their coupons.

The point I am making is that it was a better Saturday afternoon I have had in a long time and proved to me there is life away from football.

However being a Buddie as long as I have will always have me coming back if only for the odd game.

Personally I think it will take a good few years for Saints to bounce back it usually does going on past history. Plus we have a cautious board who will work the club within it's means. For the sake of the club I only hope the board take a good look at them selves and have a good rest over the close season and come back with some sort of enthusiasm which has sadly been missing for too long.

In the scheme of things it's not that big a deal. Frustrating seeing the club struggle, but there are bigger things in life to worry about. The worry is that the board cut the cloth pretty severely when faced with adversity, so unless we get a good manager next season, we could end up in a 90s style doledrums. Thank f**k I managed to grow up in an era where we regularly qualified for Europe and reached the semis of both cups year in, year out.

Have been following St Mirren since 1967 so seen it all before.

I wont be renewing my season ticket if we go down just choosing the games I want to see.

A couple of Saturday's ago I went up to Glasgow for the afternoon with the wife. We had a drink in the Humming Bird before going to see a swing band in a pub. From there we went to a Tapas bar then got the ferry and train home.

It was a great day out really enjoyed it. Meeting other couples in the bar and chatting. nipping into the public bar to check the coupon having a laugh with fellow guy's checking their coupons.

The point I am making is that it was a better Saturday afternoon I have had in a long time and proved to me there is life away from football.

However being a Buddie as long as I have will always have me coming back if only for the odd game.

Personally I think it will take a good few years for Saints to bounce back it usually does going on past history. Plus we have a cautious board who will work the club within it's means. For the sake of the club I only hope the board take a good look at them selves and have a good rest over the close season and come back with some sort of enthusiasm which has sadly been missing for too long.

FFS , you mean you had a drink on a Saturday afternoon & enjoyed yourself ?? Guess who`ll be along soon to criticise ?

What are you all about ? cant you go a few hours without a drink ?? 1eye.gif

I remember only too well going to places like Forfar Arbroath and the like and they were great days which give me fond memories and I don't think it would be the worst case scenario to do this all again and if we build up a decent team of players and start getting that winning feeling back we might get a few more fans through the gate and the wee day out to places some of the younger fans may never have been to before on away games might get everybodys ....mojo back

only reason it does mean so much is i would be glade for this whole season being over a relegation battle ,the quicker it is over the better

then we know were we are and can start planing a head

only worry is with our bod it will be august before we get a manager and squad

our only hope is if we are sold.

every game now is f**king depressing

we so badly need a run off wins

but ha we can but dream

As I said in another, relegation and promotion will now be far more common for teams like us given the introduction of the playoffs.

Under Gus we finished 11th twice, under Danny we finished 11th twice. All four times it was enough for clear safety, it's not anymore. Don't think it's unreasonable to believe we would have been relegated one of those four times under the current rules.

The one up one down was good for us in the sense it kept us in the league for so long. From the perspective of the excitement of the league though, it was ridiculous. I'm glad it's gone. Yes it increases our chances of going down, but it will also increases our chances of coming back up.

Going down is bad for the club of course, but not as bad as it would have been 5 years ago. We've came back before, we will again. In saying that, I still think we will stay up this year.