Bobby Mckean

Bobby passed away 38 years ago yesterday , along with Ian Lister he was one of my first favourite Saints players , 38 goals in 125 games , not bad for a winger.

Bobby McKean was a great wee player for us before his move to Rangers. I can still recall seeing him giving Brian Docherty a hug in a sort of apologetic way after Rangers had scored in the 3-3 draw at love street in our first season in the old premier league under Fergie.

Bobby McKean was a great wee player for us before his move to Rangers. I can still recall seeing him giving Brian Docherty a hug in a sort of apologetic way after Rangers had scored in the 3-3 draw at love street in our first season in the old premier league under Fergie.

Bobby will be one of many talented players from that era who will be fondly remembered by Saints fans.

However, my favourite memory from that particular game was Jacky Copland nearly halfing hard man Tam Forsyth in two in a 50-50 tackle only for Forsyth to get booked for his typical involvement in the clash.

It was (and is) typical of the bias within the SFA that players like Copland were never properly recognised for their ability at national level (Jim Clunie was another even more blatant example), whereas old firm players like Forsyth were automatic choices for the national team. No wonder Scotland have under-achieved in international football.

McKean was one of my heroes. When I was playing fitba, I was McKean, McLeod, Munro, Fulton and even Sandy Clelland aw rolled into one.

If I was a goalie, I wid be Danny Stevenson, though I ended up playing like Jim Gilmour.

Bobby McKean came into a Saints team at the same time as Iain Munro , Ally McLeod and Gordon McQueen , not a bad group of youngsters to have coming through at the same same

Yet strangely, it coincided with probably the worst period in the club's history on the field...

You wonder how bad things would have been without top players like these...

I am too young to remember McKean but his goalscoring record for a winger was amazing.

I remember Iain Munro being my favourite player as a wee boy during his second spell at Love Street.

And in one of those 'claim to fame' stories, a woman I work with revealed last week that her dad's cousin is Gordon McQueen. She had no idea that Gordon had played for St. Mirren nor the fact that he was a world class defender in his day!

As you

Looking back on that period , we had a quality group of young players coming through , then relatively few decent young players coming through until Fergie arrived on the scene ( Fitzy being the exception ) , we didn,t seem to be signing the right type of experienced player , just rejects , who stayed a season with us and then disappeared ( young and Becket being the exception ).

One of these guys was a guy called Drew Rodgerson , who was brought in to replace Gordon McQueen , think he would have been brought in by Wullie Cunningham , met him about ten years ago , when he told me he was bought by Fergie , to help develop Gordon McQueen as a player , he told ne the story so convincingly , that I didn,t want to tell him he was bullshitting .

That and the fact the Drew Rodgerson was a big lad , and I didn,t want to upset him

It was Sandy Jardine who scored and I noticed the hug recently when they showed it on Sky in a Jardine tribute recently shortly after he died.

I loved Bobby McKean as a Saints player and as a young lad was close to tears when he signed for that mob. That feeling didn't last long as Saihts won 6-2 at Brechin the day after he moved.

However I'm ashamed to admit I hadn't even realised he was playing for them in that 3-3 game until I saw the clip recently.

That game was just 6 months before he died, a tragic waste of a great talent.

I didn't know him as a person but that small gesture with Brian Docherty after the goal makes me sure it was a tragic waste of a decent young man's life too.