Fan Ownership - Scottish Government Approved?

TC7

The interesting bit:

"Appointed valuer

The new legislation would mean that supporters' trusts would legally register an interest in a football club.

This would mean the owner of the club would be prohibited from "taking any action with a view to the transfer of ownership of that football club" until it had complied with the act.

The supporters' trust would then be given an opportunity to buy the club at a price assessed by an appointed valuer."

The interesting bit:

"Appointed valuer

The new legislation would mean that supporters' trusts would legally register an interest in a football club.

This would mean the owner of the club would be prohibited from "taking any action with a view to the transfer of ownership of that football club" until it had complied with the act.

The supporters' trust would then be given an opportunity to buy the club at a price assessed by an appointed valuer."

This could be a game-changer but possibly a bit late for St.Mirren fans? An independent valuation done at the moment might make interesting reading. I doubt we'll ever know.

Might possibly struggle with the Supreme Court and the European Courts, even if approved by Holyrood. Clubs are plc's mostly and owners will consider it a denial of disposal rights although clubs in administration/liquidation might be different. Still a way to go I think?

I'm pretty confident that if the Board walked away from the club at the end of the season and gave it over to the fans as a freebie we would be either bust or relegated (probably both) by the end of the following season

This isn't a computer game aka Championship Manager

I'm pretty confident that if the Board walked away from the club at the end of the season and gave it over to the fans as a freebie we would be either bust or relegated (probably both) by the end of the following season

Wonder who the fans on here would blame then?

This could be a game-changer but possibly a bit late for St.Mirren fans? An independent valuation done at the moment might make interesting reading. I doubt we'll ever know.

I think it will be a game changer in that it might scare away any potential buyers as they could be forced at some stage in the future to sell the club to the fans at the valued price.

That said I do like the idea of fan ownership but it should be at a mutually agreed price.

Certainly not something you can just wander in to. You could easily spend more time answering questions than doing real work. I can't see how the fans could have done worse than hire Craig, sack Craig, hire Teale though. The main thing to understand would be how much the board put in as loans over the last 12 months and how to pick that up. If you can't answer that then there's no point even discussing fan ownership.

Certainly not something you can just wander in to. You could easily spend more time answering questions than doing real work. I can't see how the fans could have done worse than hire Craig, sack Craig, hire Teale though. The main thing to understand would be how much the board put in as loans over the last 12 months and how to pick that up. If you can't answer that then there's no point even discussing fan ownership.

yes, it sounds a great concept but would be a massive task and responsibility, and it would also depend greatly on the ability and experience of those voted in as a group board.

while the current board have put in 'loans' this year I'd guess it's no more that the loan given by SMiSA to build the dome, loans to be used to generate increased income make sense, but any individual providing a loan just to keep the wolf from the door is unlikely to ever see it again. The loan that is not the wolf.

whether fan ownership would work, or not, the only other two options at our club at the moment would seem to be, A) that someone buys 75% of our club and hope their intentions are honarable, or B) stick with a bod that doesn't want to be there and a endure a gradual decline in income and level of performance.

Something has to change, even if the current bod start to involve others, such as the recent commercial director appointment, it's a start and there must be other shareholders or business savvy fans that could play a part.

you shouldn't have to be part of the consortium to be on the board !