Season 1997/98 - Love Street Blues (Bbc 1 Documentary)

I have uploaded to Youtube the 1998 documentary "Love Street Blues" from the BBC 1 series Frontline Scotland, which focused on the plight of the club at the time and about the controversial figure of Reg Brealey who wanted to buy St Mirren.

part one -

part two -

part three -

Edited by Second Decay

What a tube John Paton was, not a surprise we ended up in the mess we did.

John Paton I think was trying to set himself up for a job when he was trying to package the club to sell to Reg Brearley

With regards to the club ending up in a mess , there are two main reasons firstly the club spent big trying to put together a team capable of challenging for a European place , and those that were bought were not good enough to sell on at a profit . And secondly we spent loads on building a massive away stand to house average away crowds of 300.

The current board of the directors at the time have to take responsibility , and the only thing that they could have been accused of was being ambitious , and wanting St Mirren to do well .

I believe that's why our current B of D are being so prudent , as one or two bad decisions can put us down there again.

40 senior clubs, not 40 pro clubs. You would have to exclude Queen's Park for starters. Then it would depend on whether semi-pro is classed as a sub-division of pro, etc ...

I'm pretty sure that Queens Park employ professionals. Gus Macpherson for starters. Its a club with huge income so they must have a number of employed full time professionals. whistling.gif

I knew someone would come out with this, should have known it would be you.

It's the same as the likes of The British Red Cross being a charitable organisation but paying staff, the Olympic association having paid staff when it was an amateur sport back in the day, etc.

However, I am not sure whether or not QP paid anybody back then, if you have proof that they did then you can enlighten us all.

Geez guys ha ha. The way we are going we should not be paying our players either

I seem to remember at the time most Saints fans were pleased the BBC were making the documentary about this potential owner. Compare that to the mob from just along the M8 who moaned about bias and boycotted the Beeb after swallowing Whyte's bullshit :lol:

• 4 weeks later...