St Mirren Bod

Who knows , but I remember Gilmour lording it on the top deck of the open top bus afterwards. Can't wait to see his "celebrations" over the next few weeks , or maybe he'll be in the Caribbean watching England !

Come the summer the board will be going on an open top bus tour triumphantly holding aloft the club's balance sheet.

Well they must have made a statement before that important game....?

Are you suggesting they are comparable scenarios. It would be a very sad day if a cup final wasn't a sufficient rallying call in and of itself. The current situation is very different, and I suspect you know that fine well.

Are you suggesting they are comparable scenarios. It would be a very sad day if a cup final wasn't a sufficient rallying call in and of itself. The current situation is very different, and I suspect you know that fine well.

Well you compared them not me. I would suggest that this game should be more of a rallying call than the cup final was. Peoples jobs are on the line tonight, they weren't in the cup final.

When did they last issue a statement before a match?

Edited by TopCat

Well you compared them not me. I would suggest that this game should be more of a rallying call than the cup final was. Peoples jobs are on the line tonight, they weren't in the cup final.

When did they last issue a statement before a match?

Come on TC, you're letting yourself down here imho. You are surely being deliberately obtuse / argumentative?

> When did they last issue a statement before a match?

So, let me turn it back on you, would it be such a bad thing, particularly given our current position of 12th, the malaise surrounding the club, and the concern from at least a sizeable section of the support on the continued silence from the BoD?

Come on TC, you're letting yourself down here imho. You are surely being deliberately obtuse / argumentative?

> When did they last issue a statement before a match?

So, let me turn it back on you, would it be such a bad thing, particularly given our current position of 12th, the malaise surrounding the club, and the concern from at least a sizeable section of the support on the continued silence from the BoD?

Not being obtuse at all. The current BOD has been in situ for the best part of 20 years. In that time we have been promoted, relegated, played in cup finals and had numerous relegation battles both in the top flight and the second tier.

I don't remember there ever being a clamour for a statement before, but suddenly it's a big issue. Indeed it seems to be the main issue on here these days.

Is the clamour because there's precedent for this BOD releasing statements before big games? If so, I don't remember them, hence me asking what they were. If there isn't precedent, why the sudden demand for one now?

And I've said before I don't believe the BOD's role is to get involved with matters on the pitch. That's for the manager and the players.

Not being obtuse at all. The current BOD has been in situ for the best part of 20 years. In that time we have been promoted, relegated, played in cup finals and had numerous relegation battles both in the top flight and the second tier.

I don't remember there ever being a clamour for a statement before, but suddenly it's a big issue. Indeed it seems to be the main issue on here these days.

Is the clamour because there's precedent for this BOD releasing statements before big games? If so, I don't remember them, hence me asking what they were. If there isn't precedent, why the sudden demand for one now?

And I've said before I don't believe the BOD's role is to get involved with matters on the pitch. That's for the manager and the players.

Fair enough TC, I guess we will have to agree to disagree.

Games like tonight are, thankfully, relatively rare. For me it's all about the 'now', not what has gone before. And whether it is justified or not (very subjective) there is a lot of bad will towards our BoD as things stand today.

Tonight is all about being united as a club, and by that token I struggle to see why a rallying cry from SG and co could hurt. Not saying there is precedent, not saying it will materially help, I am saying that I don't think it would do any harm, particularly with a young and very inexperienced manager at the helm, and might just add an extra dimension to the match.

If nothing else, some form of statement would give an indication that they give a f**k. Let's face, little else they have done of late would suggest this.

ETA:does a BoD not also have a duty to shareholders in terms of being seen to promote/protect the interests of the business? What have they done of late in this regard? Given the perilous situation the club finds itself in, I would have thought they have some responsibility to intervene in any way possible that would seek to address this.

Edited by Drew

If nothing else, some form of statement would give an indication that they give a f**k. Let's face, little else they have done of late would suggest this.

Imo any statement at this stage merely underlines their culpability, oh look we are in the shit , what's next, get a rally cry out there. That only serves to show an acknowledgement that they know where we are in the league.

By saying nothing their demenour remains one of stoicism and deliberate silence, that they believe ( 1eye.gif ) we have enough to dodge the relegation blunderbuss. What use now weasel words..............

I couldn't frankly give a flying one, this ship was on its way to the bottom after the League Cup win, its been sinking to the abyss steadily ever since.

All this talk of launch pad to greater things after the cup win , blah de blah, lots of us have seen this before, now its just a case of history repeating.

Message from the board;

St Mirren head into a pivotal game in their season this evening as they face Motherwell at Fir Park.

Everybody connected with St Mirren Football Club knows the importance of this game and those that follow in the next few weeks.

In a message to the fans ahead of the game St Mirren Chairman Stewart Gilmour said, “On behalf of The Board of Directors of St Mirren FC we hope that our supporters will travel in good numbers to Motherwell tonight for this very important match and give the players your full backing. It has been a very frustrating season but one which can be recoverable starting tonight.

“In past years St Mirren teams have reacted to the fantastic support they have received for big matches at Motherwell and Falkirk, twice, and the teams have come away with the results at crucial times so we would ask if you can be there tonight to attend and give the players your 100% backing throughout the game.”

Team manager Gary Teale has been preparing his players for tonight’s game and he also knows that the St Mirren fans will turn out tonight to play their part: “We are a relatively young team in the main and you could see the players reaction to the positive support they got from the Stands on Friday night against Celtic.

“I thought the players worked so hard during the full 90 minutes and the fans really got behind the team. I would urge all St Mirren fans if you can make tonight to be there as your support can only help the players. We all realise what’s required of us which is a vital match for the Club tonight.”

One of the players on the field will be full-back Jason Naismith who assures that the team haven’t given up the fight. He said, “The players are all aware of the importance of tonight’s match, the fans can be assured that we will work as hard as we can and go out there to do our best for St Mirren FC.

“The fans support can be like a 12th man so please stay with us and help us get the result we all want.“

http://www.saintmirren.net/pages/?p=42138

Message from the board;

St Mirren head into a pivotal game in their season this evening as they face Motherwell at Fir Park.

Everybody connected with St Mirren Football Club knows the importance of this game and those that follow in the next few weeks.

In a message to the fans ahead of the game St Mirren Chairman Stewart Gilmour said, On behalf of The Board of Directors of St Mirren FC we hope that our supporters will travel in good numbers to Motherwell tonight for this very important match and give the players your full backing. It has been a very frustrating season but one which can be recoverable starting tonight.

In past years St Mirren teams have reacted to the fantastic support they have received for big matches at Motherwell and Falkirk, twice, and the teams have come away with the results at crucial times so we would ask if you can be there tonight to attend and give the players your 100% backing throughout the game.[/sup

Team manager Gary Teale has been preparing his players for tonights game and he also knows that the St Mirren fans will turn out tonight to play their part: We are a relatively young team in the main and you could see the players reaction to the positive support they got from the Stands on Friday night against Celtic.

I thought the players worked so hard during the full 90 minutes and the fans really got behind the team. I would urge all St Mirren fans if you can make tonight to be there as your support can only help the players. We all realise whats required of us which is a vital match for the Club tonight.

One of the players on the field will be full-back Jason Naismith who assures that the team havent given up the fight. He said, The players are all aware of the importance of tonights match, the fans can be assured that we will work as hard as we can and go out there to do our best for St Mirren FC.

The fans support can be like a 12th man so please stay with us and help us get the result we all want.

http://www.saintmirren.net/pages/?p=42138

This is the type of communication that many supporters want to receive. Just knowing that the BoD still seem to care is a big move in the right direction. Also good to see a young, popular Paisley born player issue a battle cry. Good start. Let's get behind the team tonight. COYS. Edited by magnus

Bit f*cking late for a rallying call from the Board, is it not? Shouldn't they have released something similar around xmas time when it was clear we were in freefall (due to their shite decision making) and on a fast track to the bottom of the league!!

Great stuff Mr. Gilmour.

I sincerely hope that the fans who do go tonight are at least treated to some effort and desire. Something that has been lacking all season.

Bah humbug!

TopCat. with those comments you will agree then that Mr Gilmour should not have been on the pitch when we won the League Cup.There can be no argument that our BOD are entirely to blame for our ridiculous managerial appointments this season culminating in the sale if our hugely influential and best player on the final day of the transfer window.