Looking On The Bright Side

div

I'm generally a very positive person, and try very hard to be positive about the football club at all times, but being realistic now the automatic relegation spot looks increasingly likely to be our fate. So let's look ahead to what life in the Championship will be like and look for some positives there.

Firstly we can hope that Morton manage to get promoted. 4 proper derby games a season would at least give us something to look forward to.

Two of Hibs, Rangers and probably Motherwell are going to be down there with us too. That's going to be another 8 big matches to look forward to against the same level of opponents that we currently play in the top flight.

The Championship has less f**king about with kick off times than the top flight does. More of our games will be at 3pm on a Saturday.

We won't have to endure those god awful strips again next season.

We might actually start enjoying games again, and score some goals !

We will have a better chance of seeing the club being sold on to local St.Mirren people given that the asking price is sure to drop post relegation

Our gates will almost certainly increase in the Championship given larger away supports, less TV coverage and the team being in with a realistic chance of being involved in the chase for the title or at the very least the end of season playoffs.

There are a lot of negatives too of course, but there are still some silver linings to relegation, it's not the cliff face it once was.

The brights side will be the acceptance that we cannot crack the Top League, that's the honest fact.

Looking back on promotion in 2005 /02006 season ,we lorded it over St Johnstone, Dundee, Ross county , Hamilton, hell Partick Thistle were even in the league below us at the time.

Its clear we lack the nous, the financial muscle and the accumen to sustain ourselves in the Top League, even at the end of this season , nine seasons, we've been lucky to avoid the drop before now. The Perennial top leage strugglers, that is us and its undeniable

You are right, if it is about positive , honest realisation of our ambitions, then it should be to win the First Division, or Championship, or whatever re brand that follows. For me , that's way too meh.

I've effectively switched off to the fortunes of the club, I feel completely dissafected by the BoD this season, the club does not seem like an inclusive entity at all, infact , post Love street, the whole club experience has gone right down the Shitter.

But, that's just my take on it , I think ambitions for the club are everyone's own personal prerogative, but for me, its failure when contrasted and compared to the to other equivalent seemingly thriving provincial clubs.

Edited by Seaside Nipper

I am always positive, as a Saints fan you have to be, and I agree with above. What disappoints me is that we all saw this coming. You don't just get relegated there are reasons, TC being appointed, Thommo injured, dreadful signings, BOD trying not spend a penny and also losing focus, and selling Kenny.

We are not bottom and detached due to bad luck.

Just hope we can somehow get united. We are no Hearts that's for sure. Now that is one club on the up

Here's another one. QOS away is a belter of a day out....

It might also be the furthest we would have to travel, a league of;

St.Mirren

Rangers

Motherwell

QoS

Falkirk

Raith

Dumbarton

Alloa

Cowdenbeath

Morton

Would make Dumfries our furthest away trip by some distance !

The brights side will be the acceptance that we cannot crack the Top League, that's the honest fact.

Looking back on promotion in 2005 /02006 season ,we lorded it over St Johnstone, Dundee, Ross county , Hamilton, hell Partick Thistle were even in the league below us at the time.

Its clear we lack the nous, the financial muscle and the accumen to sustain ourselves in the Top League, even at the end of this season , nine seasons, we've been lucky to avoid the drop before now. The Perennial top leage strugglers, that is us and its undeniable

You are right, if it is about positive , honest realisation of our ambitions, then it should be to win the First Division, or Championship, or whatever re brand that follows. For me , that's way too meh.

I've effectively switched off to the fortunes of the club, I feel completely dissafected by the BoD this season, the club does not seem like an inclusive entity at all, infact , post Love street, the whole club experience has gone right down the Shitter.

But, that's just my take on it , I think ambitions for the club are everyone's own personal prerogative, but for me, its failure when contrasted and compared to the to other equivalent seemingly thriving provincial clubs.

There is a general feeling of doom and gloom about the club at the moment, that is for sure. It actually feels like we are still recovering from the hangover of winning the cup to be honest. I can barely remember a good performance since then and that was just over 2 years ago.

The club needs a freshness, it needs new owners with new ideas and new energy, we need someone to give us an injection of life to lift the club and the supporters up. The current board have worked miracles during their time at the helm but the decisions made this season have maybe been symptomatic of a tired board who have now been trying to get out for over 5 years.

Personally I don't think the decision to replace Danny was wrong but the decision to appoint Tommy was clearly in hindisght a very poor one. The decision to sell Kenny at the 11th hour was clearly a business one and was made to protect the short term interests of the club. I am guessing falling gates, smaller away supports, no cup runs, and bagging Craig all came at a cost, and Kenny's transfer fee bridged that gap.

As is well documented elsewhere I was led to believe that the sale of the club was agreed way back, so I guess some of the decisions that were made were short term ones to get us through to the new owners. Quite what has happened to that I have no idea but I suppose it is possible that the purchase of the club collapsed, or was pending some clarity over what league we would be competing in next season.

If clubs like St.Johnstone and ICT can establish themselves as top six sides there is no reason why we can't do the same, we've just not had the right man in charge of the team IMHO.

I wonder if all the people at the club who stand to lose their jobs if we are relegated are looking on the bright side?

Will the huge drop in revenue mean having to pull out of Ralston and train at the racecourse and dome?

No it won't, we pay only a peppercorn rent for Ralston.

It might also be the furthest we would have to travel, a league of;

St.Mirren

Rangers

Motherwell

QoS

Falkirk

Raith

Dumbarton

Alloa

Cowdenbeath

Morton

Would make Dumfries our furthest away trip by some distance !

Speak for yourself :P Although knowing my luck Queens will win the play-offs.

No it won't, we pay only a peppercorn rent for Ralston.

Regardless of the amount of rent how can a championship club afford to run that complex? We will be down hundreds of thousands of pounds if relegated, lower cheaper gates, sponsors leaving or demanding lower fees, merchandise falling(admittedly from a low base), TV reduced to pennies.

I wonder if all the people at the club who stand to lose their jobs if we are relegated are looking on the bright side?

Will the huge drop in revenue mean having to pull out of Ralston and train at the racecourse and dome?

Yes there will doubtless be some redundancies at the club, and the wage bill of the first team will have to be slashed. If anything this will increase our reliance on the Youth Setup rather than causing it to be scrapped.

Relegation would probably cost us around £0.5m in league revenue I reckon. Increased crowds would make up a wee bit of that shortfall but there would obviously be other knock on reductions in sponsorship, hospitality etc...

Either way all I am doing is looking at positive aspects of what looks like being a racing certainty to happen. I don't WANT to be relegated but it's time to start facing up to it as it's almost certainly happening.

I'm generally a very positive person, and try very hard to be positive about the football club at all times, but being realistic now the automatic relegation spot looks increasingly likely to be our fate. So let's look ahead to what life in the Championship will be like and look for some positives there.

Firstly we can hope that Morton manage to get promoted. 4 proper derby games a season would at least give us something to look forward to.

Two of Hibs, Rangers and probably Motherwell are going to be down there with us too. That's going to be another 8 big matches to look forward to against the same level of opponents that we currently play in the top flight.

The Championship has less f**king about with kick off times than the top flight does. More of our games will be at 3pm on a Saturday.

We won't have to endure those god awful strips again next season.

We might actually start enjoying games again, and score some goals !

We will have a better chance of seeing the club being sold on to local St.Mirren people given that the asking price is sure to drop post relegation

Our gates will almost certainly increase in the Championship given larger away supports, less TV coverage and the team being in with a realistic chance of being involved in the chase for the title or at the very least the end of season playoffs.

There are a lot of negatives too of course, but there are still some silver linings to relegation, it's not the cliff face it once was.

Let's not think about the Championship.

Let's fight like hell to stay up.

Stupid Thread like Kemp's yesterday.

Dry yir pants.

Let's not think about the Championship.

Let's fight like hell to stay up.

Stupid Thread like Kemp's yesterday.

Dry yir pants.

Neither you nor me can "fight like hell to stay up" fella.

It's down to the players to do it.

Personally I've not seen anything to suggest they have the fight or the ability to get us out of this.

I hope we do stay up, and we'll still get rid of those god awful strips if we do !

It is a shame but that is football.

It's not something fans should have to worry about, the club surviving is what matters most to us. I won't feel guilty about the pay offs, the board have to take responsibility for this shambles of a season , if we get relegated its on them.

It's going to take a huge change at all levels within the club if we can even think of challenging for the league title next year in the championship. We struggled badly in both our first seasons in the first division post relegation.

I too am clinging on to any last remaining hope that we can somehow get out of this mess this season but it's looking increasing likely that that isn't going to happen. A lot will depend on the order of the fixtures post split. If we can somehow get results against RC and Motherwell before the split then I hope we get one of them in the opening two games. If both those two fixtures are kept until the end then it might be all over before we get a chance.

It is a shame but that is football.

It's not something fans should have to worry about, the club surviving is what matters most to us. I won't feel guilty about the pay offs, the board have to take responsibility for this shambles of a season , if we get relegated its on them.

I was told a few years back that there aren't actually that many folk employed by the club out with the players and coaches.

Will leave it to someone else to make a joke about the over-staffed marketing and PR department being first to go...

Edited by Stu

The premier league is the only show in town. Listen who cares about playing morton in a wee game nobody else is interested in bar us and morton. It's not even a game that gets more than 5,000 it's a Diddy match. We need to be in.the top tier and anyone who thinks crowds will increase is daft. Alloa,Dumbarton, Cowdenbeath etc are not going to bring anyone neither will most of the division bar hibs/rangers and Falkirk. The league is tough and I would imagine we will be one of the teams in mid table with a young team being bullied at palmerston and the like. I'm sorry but being pumped rotten by Rangers or hibs four times or going to morton for a Diddy game don't appeal. Tyncastle, Tannadice etc that is where we want to be. Also can we sustain ralston and staff on home games of 1800-2000 against the mighty alloa etc

The premier league is the only show in town. Listen who cares about playing morton in a wee game nobody else is interested in bar us and morton. It's not even a game that gets more than 5,000 it's a Diddy match. We need to be in.the top tier and anyone who thinks crowds will increase is daft. Alloa,Dumbarton, Cowdenbeath etc are not going to bring anyone neither will most of the division bar hibs/rangers and Falkirk. The league is tough and I would imagine we will be one of the teams in mid table with a young team being bullied at palmerston and the like. I'm sorry but being pumped rotten by Rangers or hibs four times or going to morton for a Diddy game don't appeal. Tyncastle, Tannadice etc that is where we want to be. Also can we sustain ralston and staff on home games of 1800-2000 against the mighty alloa etc

"Not even a game that gets more than 5,000"

Number of home games this season with crowd of over 5,000 ?

We are not relegated.

We might get relegated.

Long way to go.

It's up to us to save ourselves.

Close this defeatist Thread

FFS

Its a forum Shull, we are bottom by 4 points, 7 points away from safety with 8 matches to go, its hardly defeatist mate, its reality, or of course we could beat Celtic 4-0 again and then win next seven to finish on 45 points- is that better??sorcerer.gif

New ownership is the only thing that will entice me back , this board have show that they're not prepared to go the extra mile to attain success in the top league , so why would I want to watch lower division pish next season if all we have to look forward to more of this season's shite !

New ownership is the only thing that will entice me back , this board have show that they're not prepared to go the extra mile to attain success in the top league , so why would I want to watch lower division pish next season if all we have to look forward to more of this season's shite !

I can releate to that. It's a real shame that all the great work this BOD have done for the club over the years is being tarnished by the way it's all ending.

I've no idea if relegation will expedite the sale of the club or make it even harder to sell, but it needs to be moved on as soon as possible as the general feeling of malaise among hardcore supporters is running very deep. When you stop enjoying going to the football and start dreading it then something is far wrong.