Motherwell

QoS

Falkirk

Raith

Dumbarton

Alloa

Cowdenbeath

Morton

Would make Dumfries our furthest away trip by some distance !

There is a general feeling of doom and gloom about the club at the moment, that is for sure. It actually feels like we are still recovering from the hangover of winning the cup to be honest. I can barely remember a good performance since then and that was just over 2 years ago.

The club needs a freshness, it needs new owners with new ideas and new energy, we need someone to give us an injection of life to lift the club and the supporters up. The current board have worked miracles during their time at the helm but the decisions made this season have maybe been symptomatic of a tired board who have now been trying to get out for over 5 years.

Personally I don't think the decision to replace Danny was wrong but the decision to appoint Tommy was clearly in hindisght a very poor one. The decision to sell Kenny at the 11th hour was clearly a business one and was made to protect the short term interests of the club. I am guessing falling gates, smaller away supports, no cup runs, and bagging Craig all came at a cost, and Kenny's transfer fee bridged that gap.

As is well documented elsewhere I was led to believe that the sale of the club was agreed way back, so I guess some of the decisions that were made were short term ones to get us through to the new owners. Quite what has happened to that I have no idea but I suppose it is possible that the purchase of the club collapsed, or was pending some clarity over what league we would be competing in next season.

If clubs like St.Johnstone and ICT can establish themselves as top six sides there is no reason why we can't do the same, we've just not had the right man in charge of the team IMHO.

Yes there will doubtless be some redundancies at the club, and the wage bill of the first team will have to be slashed. If anything this will increase our reliance on the Youth Setup rather than causing it to be scrapped.

Relegation would probably cost us around £0.5m in league revenue I reckon. Increased crowds would make up a wee bit of that shortfall but there would obviously be other knock on reductions in sponsorship, hospitality etc...

Either way all I am doing is looking at positive aspects of what looks like being a racing certainty to happen. I don't WANT to be relegated but it's time to start facing up to it as it's almost certainly happening.

If we do go down Div, do you think the first communication any St Mirren supporter will receive since SGs 'we need a wheeler dealer' brief TV appearance will be the ST renewal begging letter?

Ok so you get what I mean it's a Diddy game and playing morton really does nothing for me these days. Not when you have beat celtic in both cups and humped them 4-0 in league or when you've went to Tyncastle and won or Tannadice or Pittodrie. The real footballing institutions of Scotland is were it's at. Rangers will return and we will be sinking in a cut throat division like we did before under jimmy bone under tony and I have no notion to visit alloa or Cowdenbeath. Queen of the south a rare away day? Are you kidding? What sitting with 300 saints fans in a pish stadium?

:lol:

I was replying to a previous post related to us bring in the Championship. Do keep up you old codger. Everything is supposition at this time but based on this seasons performances it looks odds on that is where we will be.

Looking on the bright side if we play like this next season we won't have to worry about being in the championship for too long!

Ok so you get what I mean it's a Diddy game and playing morton really does nothing for me these days. Not when you have beat celtic in both cups and humped them 4-0 in league or when you've went to Tyncastle and won or Tannadice or Pittodrie. The real footballing institutions of Scotland is were it's at. Rangers will return and we will be sinking in a cut throat division like we did before under jimmy bone under tony and I have no notion to visit alloa or Cowdenbeath. Queen of the south a rare away day? Are you kidding? What sitting with 300 saints fans in a pish stadium?

Norrie, we have no divine right to be dining at the top table and it is a miracle we have survived on the budget and attendance's. It is a matter of fact that someone gets relegated and bigger clubs than us are in the lower leagues. If we are in the Championship then so be it and I will support the club like I have done since 60s. The important thing is that we operate within our means and allied with new leadership. Having a team to support is the priority and if that means we support it in a lower league then that is what we have to do. Like you, I want to be in the top league and competing with clubs our size and budget. The reality is that we are not good enough (for all the reasons previously mentioned) and we have to rebuild. How long that takes is anyone's guess but unless the poor decision making stops then we could be down for a long time.

Edited by nedflanders123

Hmm....

Bright side?

It doesn't do any harm to seek this out, but what is most galling is that this situation was avoidable. That said, we don't deserve to remain in this division as things stand. It has been coming

for years, to be brutally honest.

My biggest concern is that a lot of younger fans will drift away as the profile of the club is diminished following relegation. In order to prevent this happening there will be required a huge effort to freshen all aspects of the the club up, almost to the point of reinventing it.

Unless there is a change of stewardship, there will be no energy, drive, or commitment in this regard, and continued decline is on the cards.

Full colonic irrigation is required.

The club made a conscious decision to invest in the long term strategy of Youth when we were left with a surplus following the Tesco deal.

I don't imagine we will rip that all up on account of relegation. Hamilton managed to keep their youth setup blossoming in the Championship despite relegation, I fail to see why we would be any different.

There's a big difference between us and Accies.

The biggest one they have Scouts out and about the West of Scotland

We need to do the same instead of cast offs from Murray Park and Lennoxtown

The club made a conscious decision to invest in the long term strategy of Youth when we were left with a surplus following the Tesco deal.

I don't imagine we will rip that all up on account of relegation. Hamilton managed to keep their youth setup blossoming in the Championship despite relegation, I fail to see why we would be any different.

Hamilton received over £1 million as a result of a sell on fee, they put that money towards their youth development. We'd be different because our squad next season won't be worth very much and our board are abysmal at negotiating transfer fees.

I take your point ned. I just think that we haven't protected our top flight status well enough. Other clubs like motherwell value it and take action whilst we just seem.to be accepting this. You know if we didn't support saints you would look at them and say this team is crap and poorly run. There is no fight in the boardroom and it's seeped ed through the club. We should have appointed a manager not the boys club backroom team.

Norrie, we have no divine right to be dining at the top table and it is a miracle we have survived on the budget and attendance's. It is a matter of fact that someone gets relegated and bigger clubs than us are in the lower leagues. If we are in the Championship then so be it and I will support the club like I have done since 60s. The important thing is that we operate within our means and allied with new leadership. Having a team to support is the priority and if that means we support it in a lower league then that is what we have to do. Like you, I want to be in the top league and competing with clubs our size and budget. The reality is that we are not good enough (for all the reasons previously mentioned) and we have to rebuild. How long that takes is anyone's guess but unless the poor decision making stops then we could be down for a long time.

The "operate within our means" bit has been overplayed by this BoD. They have cut way too deep. There's a difference between counting pennies and genuine investment and the latter has been missing for at least 3 years now. We no longer have a decent team to watch, very little talent at youth level, no marketing, no communications and seemingly no plans.

Can we all just get over playing morton four times. Cappielow is a total dump and we dont even fill.the Dublin end anyhow. They will beat us most probably too

Don't think you grasp what it means to both clubs. A much larger gate than you get with ICT or Ross County and Dundee Dundee Unt , no bad thing more importantly more money through the gate and at long last a bit of atmosphere in the stadium that's what Morton bring to the table.

Weather they are better or worse is here or there. The game is good for both clubs

Selfishly I'll be gutted if we go down because it'll mean fewer (if any) trips to the Famous Three Kings to watch Saints' televised games.

Our promotion in the 2005-6 season coincided with me actually enjoying being down in London - and I've made a number of right good Buddie mates watching the games down here over the years. drinks_cheers.gif

We have 4 games against our nearest rivals that could turn things around so I have not completely given up hope but I take Div's point about being realistic.

The thing that has got to me the most over the last decade is the simple fact we have not moved up a gear. Other diddy clubs have came up and went on to better things while we continually scrap away at the bottom. One home win in almost a year is a joke. And the reason for that is simply that we are stuck on a rudderless ship with no leadership nor interest from those in charge.

While this situation continues I reckon we would be fighting relegation for the next 20 years (and maybe 20 years to our next Home win!). So if relegation finally gets the current BoD out and brings in fresh impetus, ideas and leadership then maybe that is the price that has to be paid and in the long term is the best thing for us. But one way or another the Club must be sold quickly or every season will be Groundhog season trying to avoid the drop.

Based on our statistics/performance this season , even when we had Mclean , we are doomed to relegation . It didn't look too bad until Toss Cunty went on a winning run but we can't rely on there always being another couple of teams being worse than us. .

To not go down now ,based on our performances up to now , would take a bloody miracle . It is always good to be positive but realistically we just don't score often enough .There is no one in the team , now it would seem , that can grab a game by the scruff of the neck and drag us back into winning it. If we are not the first to score in a game , we nearly always lose. Maybe we will turn it around , maybe we will escape the play off ( I honestly think we need to finish 10th to guarantee safety) but to be brutally realistic , it is all over bar the shouting. .

Edited by saintnextlifetime

If the bright side to relegation is games against Morton, then whoop-de-fcuking-do.... hold on 'til I break out the party poppers and crack open a bottle of Lambrini.

Its a bigger day out for them than us Poz but ultimately is draws a bigger crowd than normal.

As Div pointed out most games are within easy traveling distance so we could end up with a much higher away gate come the end of the season than what we are getting now. 3pm Saturday kick off is also a big bonus as a fan. Saturday for me is football day not Friday night.

Still hope we stay up though the last few seasons have been utter shite outwith the cup win. Season after season we fight relegation. Going down would be a change because quite frankly I am scunnerd going to games lately. Where is the enjoyment.

As pointed out further back and by myself a few days ago. Have been a regular for the best part of 50 years like a few others. When times are like now it really is hard to be motivated to go.

Don't think you grasp what it means to both clubs. A much larger gate than you get with ICT or Ross County and Dundee Dundee Unt , no bad thing more importantly more money through the gate and at long last a bit of atmosphere in the stadium that's what Morton bring to the table.

Weather they are better or worse is here or there. The game is good for both clubs

I'd be quite content , never to see Crappielaw again . As far as atmosphere is concerned , they have a bunch of rabid wee boys that like to scream abuse at us .

Are we hoping to re-create something from yesteryear. .

I'd be quite content , never to see Crappielaw again . As far as atmosphere is concerned , they have a bunch of rabid wee boys that like to scream abuse at us .

Are we hoping to re-create something from yesteryear. .

Not at all Neil personally have never looked at them and think derby though it is. Yes they have wee tits throwing stones. but all in all for me it will be nice to see more people through the turnstiles. Strangely the championship could very well do that next season. Maybe.

Edited by Isle Of Bute Saint