Looking On The Bright Side

div

I'd be quite content , never to see Crappielaw again . As far as atmosphere is concerned , they have a bunch of rabid wee boys that like to scream abuse at us .

Are we hoping to re-create something from yesteryear. .

Indeed...............and a ground that should be demolished.

I remember down at Ayr a few years ago in the cup, absolute shithole.

No thanks.

When times are like now it really is hard to be motivated to go.

Correct Ian , which is why our crowds will be down around the 2k mark next season , with small away supports in the west stand beside us and the railway end will be closed to cut costs , it's a disaster. As I said before , there are no plusses from relegation !

No thanks.

Just wondering if you know how to enjoy yourself. Ayr is a great day out. Granted the stadium is from another time zone but I rather like that part than say sitting in Ruby park where the seats are jammed so close together you think flying to Spain with Thompsons is like first class. Then you have the 16,000 seats at Ruby park with only 4,000 punters arses on them. Na Ayr is not too bad FS

No thanks.

Equally horrendous is the fact that it wasn't that long ago we gave Ayr a lesson in football at Greenhill Road in the cup. The rag tag bunch we have now would probably lose by a late goal.

Correct Ian , which is why our crowds will be down around the 2k mark next season , with small away supports in the west stand beside us and the railway end will be closed to cut costs , it's a disaster. As I said before , there are no plusses from relegation !

Billy I like the fact Saturday afternoon football and clubs within easy reach.

Yes it might go as you say , low crowds.

However right now I would rather see a young team being put together with a couple of old timers.

Than watch half hearted season travellers and loaned players who at the end of the day don't give a flying f**k about St Mirren that I can see.

No thanks.

Indeed , it is a sad place but we created a good atmosphere in that old shed and the chips were okay but the rest is a joke , like that f**ken toilet from the 18th century. .

Correct.

I really can't fathom the misty eyed longing for playing teams like QOS and Falkirk.

If you thought this year's squad was sub-standard, you ain't seen nothing yet.dry.png

I don't think the home crowd will change much if we go down to be honest. The 3,000 or so who are still going week in, week out, have seen a handful of good performances since we moved in there, and yet they still go down every other week. If we were competing at the top end of the table I think the crowds would actually be higher. People want to see a team winning games.

If the bright side to relegation is games against Morton, then whoop-de-fcuking-do.... hold on 'til I break out the party poppers and crack open a bottle of Lambrini.

It was a bit of a tongue in cheek post but I'd be quite glad of derby games against Morton. I can't imagine why anyone would think playing Ross County, Hamilton or Inverness is a more exciting prospect.

The best league season of my life supporting St.Mirren was season 99-00 and that was in the first division. It's not the end of the world even if it feels like it right now. I enjoyed the Premier League in the 80s when I was a lad and we had an awesome team but I can't actually say I've really enjoyed many of the seasons we have had in the SPL era.

I felt we nearly found the right formula under Lennon, the season we brought in Thommo, Teale, Hasselbaink, Tesselaar et al. That was as close as we've come. Every other league season has been pretty turgid with the odd bright moment here or there.

I don't think the home crowd will change much if we go down to be honest. The 3,000 or so who are still going week in, week out, have seen a handful of good performances since we moved in there, and yet they still go down every other week. If we were competing at the top end of the table I think the crowds would actually be higher. People want to see a team winning games.

It was a bit of a tongue in cheek post but I'd be quite glad of derby games against Morton. I can't imagine why anyone would think playing Ross County, Hamilton or Inverness is a more exciting prospect.

The best league season of my life supporting St.Mirren was season 99-00 and that was in the first division. It's not the end of the world even if it feels like it right now. I enjoyed the Premier League in the 80s when I was a lad and we had an awesome team but I can't actually say I've really enjoyed many of the seasons we have had in the SPL era.

I felt we nearly found the right formula under Lennon, the season we brought in Thommo, Teale, Hasselbaink, Tesselaar et al. That was as close as we've come. Every other league season has been pretty turgid with the odd bright moment here or there.

That Lennon season was the best for years and showed what we could achieve. Pity we got a nose bleed and cut back.

Attendances are already dropping, if relegated given we wont have the funds to do what Hearts and Hibs have done our home gate will drop dramatically until such times we get a decent team winning again. With little chance of coming straight back up as it will be a new squad of boys and the odd pro who cant get a gig in the premiership people wont pay to come and see in the same numbers they do now.

To add to that there is every chance we would have to re-think Using Ralston as there just wont be the funds to run that as well as the stadium on poss poor gates against QOS.

.It was a bit of a tongue in cheek post but I'd be quite glad of derby games against Morton. I can't imagine why anyone would think playing Ross County, Hamilton or Inverness is a more exciting prospect.

Over the past few seasons Morton have become an irrelevance to me, and I really didn't want to have to entertain the thought of playing them in the league, unless they made it back to the premiership.

Maybe it's because I put up with, and followed relentlessly, the abject shite of the 90's, that the distinct prospect of plying our trade in the championship makes me so dispirited.

I'm afraid I'd much rather be watching us v ICT, Ross County and Hamilton in the premiership.

Over the past few seasons Morton have become an irrelevance to me, and I really didn't want to have to entertain the thought of playing them in the league, unless they made it back to the premiership.

Maybe it's because I put up with, and followed relentlessly, the abject shite of the 90's, that the distinct prospect of plying our trade in the championship makes me so dispirited.

I'm afraid I'd much rather be watching us v ICT, Ross County and Hamilton in the premiership.

It's a thought provoking thread though. I agree with Div's thoughts on what was the best football and most fun but it would be wrong to think First Division = Fun and Premiership = a grind. We need to be in the top division watching the best players ply their trade in Paisley. The Club is big enough.

I appreciate you don't really rate Morton as being Real Madrid Div, and I also agree, Ross County, Hamilton and Inverness are not glamour opposition, but then again, neither are St Mirren, Motherwell or Partick for the Highland clubs. To be fair, there are simply no glamour or particularly exciting opponents in our entire game - so the top flight is the place to be, packed with glamour or not. At least down South, if you are an ST holder at, let's say, St James Park - when Man Utd, Liverpool, Man City or Chelsea come to town, that is the only time you'll see them that season. Up here, we're fcuking sick of the sight of each other. It frankly makes no odds to me if my ST gets me in to see St Mirren v Hamilton/ICT/Ross C.... or St Mirren v Falkirk/QoTS/Morton.

Next season's top flight will likely have Hearts and Hibs/The Sevco in it. That's a bit more 'glamourous' such as it gets. That's where we want to be, and that's where we look increasingly like not being, by shooting ourselves in the baws'.

Edited by pozbaird

I take your point ned. I just think that we haven't protected our top flight status well enough. Other clubs like motherwell value it and take action whilst we just seem.to be accepting this. You know if we didn't support saints you would look at them and say this team is crap and poorly run. There is no fight in the boardroom and it's seeped ed through the club. We should have appointed a manager not the boys club backroom team.

Norrie, I cannot disagree with anything you say mate and I am as disappointed as you. I have been here so many times in almost 50 years of watching us struggle out with 76 to 84 and the TH era. There is a lot wrong and the lack of any communication from the club is both disappointing and likely to come back and bite them if they cannot sell the club and want to maximise season tickets next season. Again, everything you say is shared by me and most others on this forum. All we can do is continue to support the team.

What would be fun would be achieving what St Johnstone have achieved. Taking the piss out of shite like us on the way to their 4th successive top 6 finish, a national trophy and European football along the way.

Now that would be fun.

I know. Thats got to be the dream.

What would be fun would be achieving what St Johnstone have achieved. Taking the piss out of shite like us on the way to their 4th successive top 6 finish, a national trophy and European football along the way.

Now that would be fun.

Post of the season... have a 'like' and all that.

Anyone who thinks getting relegated won't be that bad is very mistaken.

If you think the penny pinching and lack of interest in the successful running of the club has been bad this season, just wait til you see what happens if we go down.

If you think a relegation 'battle' from the Premier has been depressing, just wait til you are experiencing one from the Championship.