Frank Mcgarvey

Frank McGarvey having a go at the board in the papers this morning. Was rather intrigued at the quote below:

"So when you’re winning a major trophy once every 30 years the last thing you should do is get rid of the manager who brought you that success.”

I don't know the full details but is that not a bit rich given what he did after we won the cup in 1987?

Full article at http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/three-disastrous-decisions-st-mirren-5436116

I'm not disputing what he says - same goes for Ricky Gillies' thoughts which you can read at: http://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/football/gillies-takes-no-pride-in-seeing-prediction-come-dangerously-close-to-coming-true.122142828

It was just the bit about booting a trophy winning manager I found amusing as I was under the impression he played a big part in Alex Smith's departure.

The fact he says we're going down is good news considering he said we had no chance against Celtic in the League Cup semi-final.

The Board have made a complete and utter mess of things over the last few years but I wonder if they were swayed by the Lennon Haters amongst our Fans.

But they seem to remain so unswayed on areas of legitimate concern... it'd be odd to listen to the vocal minority on that front.

And, as has been pointed out a lot, the consensus was that DL had had his time, yet nobody for a single second would have not renewed his contract if we knew who his replacement was going to be.

Who were the Lennon haters?

I never saw or heard any real abuse of the man.

A few isolated shouts or a few posters on here

But i've witnessed a lot worse in years gone by

This was down to money nothing else,the amount of paid up contracts before their time done him

The BOD won't put us in debt and want value for money

They would be raging at the waste of money in the last few years

Why are the Record asking Frank McGarvey for his thoughts on St Mirren? Ahhh Friday's opponents.....I get it now.

In fairness it seems to be a freelance who has done it and punted it round all the papers. Different freelance (might even be PA) has done the same with Ricky Gillies.

I'm sure at this very minute the board are working hard on a response to this slating. Phew, got that in just before midday...

Frank McGarvey having a go at the board in the papers this morning. Was rather intrigued at the quote below:

"So when you’re winning a major trophy once every 30 years the last thing you should do is get rid of the manager who brought you that success.”

I don't know the full details but is that not a bit rich given what he did after we won the cup in 1987?

Full article at http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/three-disastrous-decisions-st-mirren-5436116

Proper football strip in the accompanying photo too!

I'm not disputing what he says - same goes for Ricky Gillies' thoughts which you can read at: http://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/football/gillies-takes-no-pride-in-seeing-prediction-come-dangerously-close-to-coming-true.122142828

It was just the bit about booting a trophy winning manager I found amusing as I was under the impression he played a big part in Alex Smith's departure.

The fact he says we're going down is good news considering he said we had no chance against Celtic in the League Cup semi-final.

Mehhhhhh.

McGarvey always said success for us was being in the top league at any given time, so there we go, as far as he is concerned

"Lennon revealed that the directors, who have been trying to sell the club since 2009, had informed him they couldn’t award him a new contract in case his presence might deter potential buyers."

so in a master stroke, they appointed a successor who definitely would deter potential investors.

Geniuses or genii, or whatever

"Lennon revealed that the directors, who have been trying to sell the club since 2009, had informed him they couldn’t award him a new contract in case his presence might deter potential buyers."

so in a master stroke, they appointed a successor who definitely would deter potential investors.

laugh.png ah how we laughed as we lay in the wreckage !!

A simple rolling monthly contract would probably have worked better then as they could have had his expertise and the new owners (ahem!) could have given him a months notice. Probably better than having a new guy on a one year contract (or was it two?)

Why shouldn't ex players give the board a hard time. IMO it's long overdue. Gilmour etc deserve to get it in the neck over this season. It's high time our fans let it known vocally. They are treating our fans with contempt and are at serious risk of undoing all the good work they accomplished.

Edited by dakota7

I was surprised to read that as I don't remember Lennon saying anything. I think the only public thing he said was the directors told him they wanted to go in a new direction - down.

The whole article is well measured and spot on.

3 main mistakes that led to current predicament...

1...Not renewing Lennons contract.

2... appointing Craig.

3... Selling McLean.

4...that fcuking jersey's a joke

Who were the Lennon haters?

I never saw or heard any real abuse of the man.

A few isolated shouts or a few posters on here

But i've witnessed a lot worse in years gone by

This was down to money nothing else,the amount of paid up contracts before their time done him

The BOD won't put us in debt and want value for money

They would be raging at the waste of money in the last few years[/quote

Hate is a strong word. I think in 3 years he kept us up and the team won a cup but he got a year after the cup to win more league games and it just did not happen change was required. But changes made were unforgivable

Frank is a Celtic man but he still has some Buddies blood in his veins. Frank just sounds like one of us.

I would have thought the board would have came out with some kind of PR in the past few weeks even if its to support the current manager. Or tell us they will be changing the awful catering served during games at the pie stalls. Or even we are as concerned as much as the fans are and hope the team can string some wins together.

Nothing has been said for ages , its bad very bad , they want us to purchase season tickets for next season but you get the feeling they don't care. I know that is not true as they are fans also. Maybe they are just embarrassed because they know they have made a right mess of things this season.

I was surprised to read that as I don't remember Lennon saying anything. I think the only public thing he said was the directors told him they wanted to go in a new direction - down.

I vaguely remember something similar being said, probably a newspaper putting a spin on a quote from Danny.

Danny could have easily left and got tore into to BOD but being the true get he is he didn't.

I bet he is also not enjoying or gloating over the state we are in.

I hope he gets the Scotland gig permanent, he deserves it.

• 5 years later...