Frank Mcgarvey

2 hours ago, pod said:

There's no doubting Frank was a Ce**ic man, but he gave his all in the Black and White and will be remembered for that. 

I still remember that goal in the semi final against Hearts in 87 and also the flick goal against Slavia Prague as though it was yesterday.

Can't believe he's 64 years old now.

f**k sake. Where have the years gone? :(

2 hours ago, pod said:

There's no doubting Frank was a Ce**ic man, but he gave his all in the Black and White and will be remembered for that. 

Yeah Frank was my first real footballing hero as a kid, I even told him that, I've met him on many occasions and he always speaks highly of St Mirren, said he loves the club and the fans.. great guy and a superb player..

6 minutes ago, Bud the Baker said:

Isn't this the same story Frank manages to sell to one of the papers every 5 or so years?

Maybe, but still a top man and was a great player. And as a side story, Mcgarvey convinced me to stop smoking after I met him in the Court bar a few seasons ago. Not smoked since.

31 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

I still remember that goal in the semi final against Hearts in 87 and also the flick goal against Slavia Prague as though it was yesterday.

Didn't think Hesgoal was around all those years ago   :rolleyes:

58 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

Commiserations...  :)

I recall an anniversary celebration of the '59 winning team before a match at Love Street V Montrose(?).

I was gutted to see a long line of arthritic, some bow-legged, bald and balding wrinklies emerge from the tunnel and shuffle towards us.  :(

It's a salutary moment to meet or see your heroes especially when their glories were long ago.  It reminds you that you've also 'matured' and are no longer the callow youth of yesteryear.   :)