10000 Hours - Re-Loaded?

Lord Pityme

Are there any fans who'd be willing to spearhead a new fan bid and take all the flak (those involved in 10k hours are still getting it on here) that comes with it?

Don't see why not. If you're dedicated and doing your best in difficult circumstances you just have to brace yourself and ignore the backstabbers who seem to exist only to constantly nag and shout out 'Told you so!' with a big smile on their face. We do have more than our fair share.

Don't see why not. If you're dedicated and doing your best in difficult circumstances you just have to brace yourself and ignore the backstabbers who seem to exist only to constantly nag and shout out 'Told you so!' with a big smile on their face. We do have more than our fair share.

You volunteering? ;)

Does Gilmour Sports turnover £2m per annum? I might well be well off the mark but I'd doubt it. Stewart Gilmour might well be seen as the villain of the piece right now but a few short years ago most St Mirren fans were lauding him as an absolute hero and claiming he was one of the best St Mirren Chairmen of all time. Even I can't argue with the master stroke he pulled off when selling Love Street.

I agree with you in many ways that the danger would be landing up with some small minded plodders who are just interested in keeping beer prices low in the corporate bar, but in my experience - and admittedly that is on amateur sports clubs committees - some of the most impressive people on it didn't have any experience at all of running a business, but they had a desired skill set for a function that needed doing. For example at the athletics club we had a guy on the committee who is the owner of a huge Scottish PR Company. He was great, but actually while he had a modest input the two best guys on the committee who really did push the club forward in terms of income and membership was an HR Manager and a Website Editor.

Stewart Gilmour no longer runs Gilmour Sports.

In your situation the PR chap probably had limited input due to his own business commitments.

Re the comment on Gilmours masterstroke. Credit for pushing the idea through. However the final decision was luck. The Planning Authority had refused the application. It was the Planning Committee that over ruled them with a slim majority. It could easily have gone the other way.

No disrespect to your HR Manager or Website Editor but capable business people are needed to manage the running of a multifaceted business.

Marketing, contracts, taxation, finance to name but a few as well as the curve balls that could be thrown.

Committees are good at local club level, however they do not work when running a £2m/annum business.

Edited by Gruffalo

So is there a real chance it could try again?

That would be good. smile.png

There are things in motion at the moment... certain people have learned from what happened previously and are taking steps to engage in the process again. It may not happen immediately but i know there is a plan afoot.

Stewart Gilmour no longer runs Gilmour Sports.

In your situation the PR chap probably had limited input due to his own business commitments.

Re the comment on Gilmours masterstroke. Credit for pushing the idea through. However the final decision was luck. The Planning Authority had refused the application. It was the Planning Committee that over ruled them with a slim majority. It could easily have gone the other way.

No disrespect to your HR Manager or Website Editor but capable business people are needed to manage the running of a multifaceted business.

Marketing, contracts, taxation, finance to name but a few as well as the curve balls that could be thrown.

Committees are good at local club level, however they do not work when running a £2m/annum business.

Surely, going by your logic, people running £2m per annum businesses would have limited input due to their own business commitments :rolleyes:

Look, I'm not decrying businessmen at all. Of course their experience would be helpful if not vital, but I don't think any football board should be so exclusive as to only have businessmen taking all the director positions. There are many jobs to be done in the running of a football club whether it's at senior level or at a amateur level, and what is by far the most important aspect of the job is that you first identify the tasks that need doing, and then you appoint people with the right skillset to achieve the appropriate progress in their roles.

Just look around senior Scottish and English football right now. There's a hell of a lot of people who would have fit your requirements who have destroyed football clubs.

Surely, going by your logic, people running £2m per annum businesses would have limited input due to their own business commitments rolleyes.gif

Look, I'm not decrying businessmen at all. Of course their experience would be helpful if not vital, but I don't think any football board should be so exclusive as to only have businessmen taking all the director positions. There are many jobs to be done in the running of a football club whether it's at senior level or at a amateur level, and what is by far the most important aspect of the job is that you first identify the tasks that need doing, and then you appoint people with the right skillset to achieve the appropriate progress in their roles.

Just look around senior Scottish and English football right now. There's a hell of a lot of people who would have fit your requirements who have destroyed football clubs.

Depends on what role they were taking in running a £2m business. OR was he not really that interested in your little clubwhistling.gif

I am also not decrying the role of football minded people in the key positions of a football club. However when it comes to the hard realty of all businesses ie cash then these roles should be taken by people with a track record of running a business.

The problem with our club and from the 1000 bid is that everyone is a budding businessman who are happy to sit on the sidelines picking holes in any suggestion that is put forward.

To reiterate previous comments made on other threads. The clubs role is to extort as much money as is possible from their fan base, increase their fan base and make best use of a facility where possible 24/7. In my opinion the club currently fails on all three. If they spent more time and resources on these then the club may be worth the money are looking for.

Why dont we stop talking about it and just get it resurrected.We have an abundance of talent within our support who can move the club on.Without naming names we have bankers,lawyers,senior quantity surveyors who support our club and may be willing to put their heads together to get the fan ownership bid on the move again.WE would require SMISA,Fans Council and ALL the supporters clubs to work as one and if we could muster the support of former players then the fans who pledged their cash before would do so again.

LETS DO IT !!!!!!!!

Why dont we stop talking about it and just get it resurrected.We have an abundance of talent within our support who can move the club on.Without naming names we have bankers,lawyers,senior quantity surveyors who support our club and may be willing to put their heads together to get the fan ownership bid on the move again.WE would require SMISA,Fans Council and ALL the supporters clubs to work as one and if we could muster the support of former players then the fans who pledged their cash before would do so again.

LETS DO IT !!!!!!!!

I'm having to miss the SMISA AGM today, but would hope that at the very least assisting in the facilitation of a takeover would be added to their goals.

LETS DO IT !!!!!!!!

You missed out Plumbers.

After 5 years of being unable to find a suitable buyer, I think the consortium should now be trying to engage the fans and SMiSA with an opportunity to take over the running of the club and it should begin this week to enable next season to start over fresh. As we are effectively a championship club now, the consortium would have to look at their asking price and drop it significantly.

The fans buy out could be run as a consortium with every fan who contributes effectively a shareholder who has a single vote for things like the AGM and selecting board members. Anyone who has the time or inclination should be able to stand for election regardless of experience. The club has potential but has to look at things from a different perspective, for instance would it be possible to have some sort of entertainment in the car park before and after certain games, food tents, beer tents, live music etc to attract people for a day out ? The fans would also need to seriously consider the way the club should operate in the future, should we be looking to promote youth and develop players with a view to eventually sell on, should we look at hiring older proffesionals to try and win promotion back to the premiership or should it be a mixture of the two ?

Either way the first step should now be the consortium approaching the fans.

What was 10,000 hours membership? 1000 fans, £20 a month?

Had they went to the fans from day 1 and offered a progressive share hand over as above they would have £1.2m by now which isn't far off the current asking price if I remember right.

5 years wasted?

Edited by davidg

LETS DO IT !!!!!!!!

I said this five years ago and since then i have had five years of abuse from the 'negs'. Agree 100% no one else is likely to step forward and run the club in the right way. Theres plenty that pontificate on what not to do, or what the risks/problems maybe that's the feckin easy bit!

I said this five years ago and since then i have had five years of abuse from the 'negs'. Agree 100% no one else is likely to step forward and run the club in the right way. Theres plenty that pontificate on what not to do, or what the risks/problems maybe that's the feckin easy bit!

He is absolutely right and SMISA is the natural vehicle to pull it together. Those doing any pontification will always appear, one of the main problems is that they demand and expect an answer the very second they've hit send on a post or email. I think, having been around it before, the best bet for us would be to detach from the wider support to a degree. To explain that I mean engage with the bus groups, the fan forum, offer the fans a chance to become directly involved and build your main group. From there, invite forum discussion and emails but monitor as opposed answering every question. Then, once you have your plan, initial idea of membership levels and interest from businesses you go out and take the flack.

What was 10,000 hours membership? 1000 fans, £20 a month?

Had they went to the fans from day 1 and offered a progressive share hand over as above they would have £1.2m by now which isn't far off the current asking price if I remember right.

5 years wasted?

The way things are now the price must be way below £1M, perhaps they would go for a regular monthly income with a certain amount of the shares transferred at certain intervals.

Rea. Time is now right to get things going again.If the consortium really care about our beloved Football Club then surely they would be willing to accept Sale Price in instalments.We need 1000fans to contribute £20 per month over four years would give them £960000 more than enough for a progressive Championship Football Club.

The way things are now the price must be way below £1M, perhaps they would go for a regular monthly income with a certain amount of the shares transferred at certain intervals.

When 10000hours put their bid in Gilmour was telling everyone who would listen that armageddon was about to hit Scottish football if Rangers weren't kept in either the top flight or in the second tier. Despite Gilmour, Campbell and McAusland standing in front of the support in the stands warning that St Mirren would most likely no longer be financially viable, they still took the decision to reject a bid for 51% of the shares that would have valued the club they were saying was close to bankruptcy at over £3m.

Now the consortium own 75% of the shares. They may well take a hit on the price per share, but I can't imagine them reducing the overall price any

When 10000hours put their bid in Gilmour was telling everyone who would listen that armageddon was about to hit Scottish football if Rangers weren't kept in either the top flight or in the second tier. Despite Gilmour, Campbell and McAusland standing in front of the support in the stands warning that St Mirren would most likely no longer be financially viable, they still took the decision to reject a bid for 51% of the shares that would have valued the club they were saying was close to bankruptcy at over £3m.

Now the consortium own 75% of the shares. They may well take a hit on the price per share, but I can't imagine them reducing the overall price any

They might find that they have no option but to reduce the price, there doesn't seem to have been many viable bids and their current malaise is now having a detrimental effect on the club. If they were to continue as things have been then it may be the club sinks even lower while they wait another 5, 10 or even 15 years wanting their price.