10000 Hours - Re-Loaded?

Lord Pityme

which is somewhat different than suggesting i was removed as part of a disciplinary process for punching a colleague.....

...but anyway...back to Fan Ownership.....

a good thing or a bad thing for the future of St Mirren?

a good thing Richard we need a leader someone that can bring the majority of Saints fans. Mission Impossible ?

which is somewhat different than suggesting i was removed as part of a disciplinary process for punching a colleague.....

...but anyway...back to Fan Ownership.....

a good thing or a bad thing for the future of St Mirren?

Richard i respect your enthusiasm and your effort at trying for this a couple of years ago, though imo, i just cant see a long term investment in fans ownership. A lot complain about the product on the park at present, though i cant see fan ownership opening a bigger pot of money to accommodate a better standard of player.

A season like this one has driven alot of fans away from the matchday and now that we have finally met our deserved fate, I fear that interest will be lost by many more fans.

Possibly a new majority investor at the helm, with fans on-board would work, though is that possible?

a good thing Richard we need a leader someone that can bring the majority of Saints fans. Mission Impossible ?

Lets get straight to the point.

one of the big issues i faced was no one knew me, i was not from Paisley or with any St Mirren connections at all...the "what is in it for you" type question always seemed to get in the way, even though i said that after any succesful 10000hours deal i would not remain on the board of the Club etc etc there was still suspicion out there that somehow i had found a way of making private profit from all of this.

However first of all at the same time i did know the legal and structural side of how a deal would actually have to work and secondly i had the time and the inclination to stand up and speak at meetings and to join the Club board and do the due diligence on how a FC operates etc etc.

In a perfect world had i also had a St Mirren background then perhaps that would have tipped the balance, but who knows.

Personally i am not sure you can find many people who have a:

St Mirren background

legal and accounting knowledge of FO structures and models

Time to devote to learning how a Football club actually works

Time to devote to the FO model

the desire to be up front

there are perhaps 1 or maybe 2 people i can think of that could tick those boxes, but in their absense you are looking to divide all that work up, but that then still gives you the "figurehead" problem.

Can you have a figurehead that has any weaknesses in the areas noted above and still succeed?

Richard i respect your enthusiasm and your effort at trying for this a couple of years ago, though imo, i just cant see a long term investment in fans ownership. A lot complain about the product on the park at present, though i cant see fan ownership opening a bigger pot of money to accommodate a better standard of player.

A season like this one has driven alot of fans away from the matchday and now that we have finally met our deserved fate, I fear that interest will be lost by many more fans.

Possibly a new majority investor at the helm, with fans on-board would work, though is that possible?

Certainly possible and a 51/49% model such as Germany and Sweden works well and keeps the supporters engaged even when the team is struggling

That's the only way I can see forward, but not one majority investor / figurehead, as we have no Roman Abramovich, Sheik Mansoor, or more realistically, a Roy McGregor, a Thompson family, Tom Farmer or Ann Budge.

I cannot see one Saints-minded individual with clout to step forward and replace the selling consortium. We do however have a reasonable amount of Saints-minded celebrity and/or business fans. A consortium of these people to front a bid, could see fans enthusiasm re-ignited to support their bid.

This of course assumes a helluva' lot - that the high-profile Saints minded celebrity/business supporters are interested at all, interested in banding together, and interested in getting true fan involvement. The only other way I can see the selling consortium moving on is if there is any genuine 'Argentinian / Belgian / Outer Mongolian' interest, who, for whatever motivation, come up with the cash to see the selling consortium say 'cheerio'. A scenario which would frankly see me need Orville's now unwanted nappy for my own use.

Edit: Posted before reading any of rea's replies.

Edited by pozbaird

50/50 blame. Arquin was supposedly good for County initially. All we needed was that good initial impact. A few goals, some points on the board thanks to his goals... nearer to Motherwell with the split to come. Then by all means he could disappear up his own arse and get dumped close season. Christ, Jens Paeslack and Gareth Wardlaw had a meaningful impact.

We never even got the initial good Arquin burst. Useless chunt got sent off twice and contributed the square root of fcuk-all.

Annnyway... Back on topic. 10000hours re-loaded / re-visited / re-gurgitated...

Eh were we not ahead of Motherwell and Ross County when we signed Arquin?

Eh were we not ahead of Motherwell and Ross County when we signed Arquin?

Indeed. What that shows is that I wasn't even expecting Arquin to have contributed enough single-handedly that we would currently still be ahead of two teams - but if he had made any sort of impact, we may not have slipped to 10, then only as recently as this week (when the chunt wasn't anywhere near the team), cut it to a still impossible-looking 7 points with so few games to go. We could have been closer to Motherwell in the split than we are now if a guy we signed to chip in with some goals, had actually done so.

Edited by pozbaird

Kevo - IMO you get a bigger pot of money to spend on better players by attracting more supporters and sponsors into the club. One way to do that is to have a better standard of player and to enjoy more onfield success - of course - but that costs money and it's a bit of a chicken and egg situation. There is another way to do it though, a much cheaper way, and that is to give people a cause to support. That's where I believed Richard Atkinson and 10000Hours were on the right track.

I know there was the whole argument at the time about 10000Hours using club facilities for free or for very little to give to the groups Community Membership and while I understand that argument, for me it showed what has gone wrong amongst the mindset of football supporters - particularly at St Mirren. As an example two years ago now the Daily Record newspaper was running a promotion called Kit For Kids. Local youth groups and schools were encouraged to join the programme and to ask their community to collect the vouchers in the newspaper so that they could be exchanged for sports kit. I posted on here suggesting that St Mirren get involved by putting up collection points at home match days and that they club then donate the collected tokens and pass them to one of the local schools or youth clubs registered in the programme. To do this would have cost St Mirren £0.00 - fans who buy the Daily Record on a daily basis would simply have been asked to cut the token from their paper before putting it in the bin - St Mirren could have received a healthy dose of good PR for doing something worthwhile for the local community - and by being seen to be a football club doing something positive for the local community this may have enhanced the appeal of the club perhaps attracting a new supporter or two, or better still perhaps drawing some interest from businesses in the local area who would see the club making an effort in the local community and gaining more press coverage as a result.

The idea was shot down on here. Possibly the problem was that it was me that suggested it, but I'm told that the reason the club gave for rejecting the idea was that they felt that if they were to take part in a scheme like this the Daily Record should pay them for the advertising around the stadium!

IMO St Mirren as a whole needs to become far more socially aware. Do the right thing first and enjoy the rewards later. Right now there isn't much about the club that would attract ex / lapsed fans to come back.

rea,

In my book you were the best opertunity for fan ownership. I just hope someone can come along and stand up to the mark I'm ready to contrabute my small part in funds

I'm letting you off with this as, going by your spelling and grammatical errors, you're clearly as drunk as the proverbial skunk.

Edited by stlucifer

Indeed. What that shows is that I wasn't even expecting Arquin to have contributed enough single-handedly that we would currently still be ahead of two teams - but if he had made any sort of impact, we may not have slipped to 10, then only as recently as this week (when the chunt wasn't anywhere near the team), cut it to a still impossible-looking 7 points with so few games to go. We could have been closer to Motherwell in the split than we are now if a guy we signed to chip in with some goals, had actually done so.

Arquin hasn't been great overall, but he won the header that set up the first goal in Dingwall, and he also headed on for McLean's goal at home to Dundee United. At that point, he'd just arrived and things were looking more positive. We had Arquin using his height and physique to win headers, and McLean's reading of those and willingness to run beyond the striker to cause problems.

Once we lost McLean, Arquin didn't have anyone running off him and lost effectiveness. I'm no doubt that his attitude is iffy and he looks as if he chucked it a long time ago, but I think it's harsh not to point out that he was doing ok and contributing before McLean left.

Arquin hasn't been great overall, but he won the header that set up the first goal in Dingwall, and he also headed on for McLean's goal at home to Dundee United. At that point, he'd just arrived and things were looking more positive. We had Arquin using his height and physique to win headers, and McLean's reading of those and willingness to run beyond the striker to cause problems.

Once we lost McLean, Arquin didn't have anyone running off him and lost effectiveness. I'm no doubt that his attitude is iffy and he looks as if he chucked it a long time ago, but I think it's harsh not to point out that he was doing ok and contributing before McLean left.

Sorry, while I understand the point you're making, I remain resolute in my stance that guys like Jens Paeslack and Gareth Wardlaw contributed more to the cause than knocking on a couple of headers. I am happy to be shot down, but my opinion of Arquin, Gow, Wylde, and indeed Djemba Djemba, Bahoken and Camara is that I wish the fcuking lot of them had never been allowed anywhere near St Mirren Park.

Edited by pozbaird

Sorry, while I understand the point you're making, I remain resolute in my stance that guys like Jens Paeslack and Gareth Wardlaw contributed more to the cause than knocking on a couple of headers. I am happy to be shot down, but my opinion of Arquin, Gow, Wylde, and indeed Djemba Djemba, Bahoken and Camara is that I wish the fcuking lot of them had never been allowed anywhere near St Mirren Park.

I don't disagree and I think the fact that Arquin showed enough in his early games proves what an absolute waster he's turned into.

Wardlaw worked as hard as he could and made the most of what ability he had. I'll always have a lot of time for him because of that.

Gow is an example of what's wrong with the game - a guy who had a good season at Falkirk around 10 years ago, went to Old Rangers, and has then moved about having a year here and there but not being good enough to stay anywhere for a prolonged period. He shows glimpses of ability but largely looks as though he can't be arsed. I don't know how much we're paying him but it's too much whatever he's getting.

You just cant help yourself? Now unless you had the personal data given in confidence(i.e. Confidential) how else could you link people you don't know, or have never met?

There are loads of people on this forum who know who i am, but if you think its clever, smart or some kind of leverage to post my name, my occupation, my family etc then post away. It only emphasises your weaknesses and poor decision/reasoning skills. People will have taken heed of your M.O. And are unlikely to forget!

Tony Black here!

Saints fan for over 45 years and i reckon if you added up my 'Brothers' years of supporting we come in collectively at over 250 years as buddies. Add to that all our friends and acquaintances on here and it must run into thousands of years. (Sssh... But don't let on you know this, as the poster who uses the alias 'REA' thinks he and his sources are the only ones who know...... Some of it!)

Inbreeding.......................I'm amazed it's still alive and kicking. 1eye.gif

Inbreeding.......................I'm amazed it's still alive and kicking. 1eye.gif

Where do you get inbreeding from in that post ? and SGG you have "liked it" unbelievable that you would condone such an opinion, you as chairman of SMFC should be ashamed.

Any journalists reading these pages ?

Edited by buddiecat

Where do you get inbreeding from in that post ? and SGG you have "liked it" unbelievable that you would condone such an opinion, you as chairman of SMFC should be ashamed.

Any journalists reading these pages ?

I wouldn't look too much into the "like".

I "like" stuff by mistake all the time when on mobile view, it's easy done when trying to scroll the page using the touch screen.

I've even "liked" some of your posts :P

Edited by davidg

I wouldn't look too much into the "like".

I "like" stuff by mistake all the time when on mobile view, it's easy done when trying to scroll the page using the touch screen.

I've even "liked" some of your posts tongue.png

aww i thought they were genuine likes from you, i'm upset now.

Apart from it being a typical post from the resident numpty, how do "brothers" inbreed,

Edited by buddiecat