Danny Lennon

The reason Danny is at shite like Alloa is simple.

He f**ked us right up, and we continue to pay the price.

Harkins, Grainger, Bahoken... And I could certainly go on. Give me a break.

Yeah, a lot of his signings weren't great, granted. But he left us in a better state than he found us and in a better state than any St. Mirren manager in your lifetime or mine. He wasn't without his faults but I challenge you to find a better manager at our club in the past 15-20 years.

It was widely accepted in the summer that the midfield was generally not needing touched, even with the loss of McGowan and the termination of Harkins. Everyone, but everyone pinpointed that we needed at least two centre half and one striker as an absolute priority and the rest could be filled in as and when they were needed. This didn't happen adequately. Not even close.

Danny Lennon didn't f**k us up, he left a decent enough infrastructure where his management was getting decent and consistent performances out of Naismith, Kelly, McLean and McGinn....four of our own products, and a solid base built around good attacking options. We HAD to replace our aging and (historically - though not for us granted) injury-prone 35 year old centre forward and our stand-in holding midfielder at centre half (plus another as cover).

That didn't really happen. The focus was mainly on full-backs, wingers and attack midfielders. None of that was Danny Lennon's fault, was it? We did sign Callum Ball, but that really shoudn't have been the end of our search for a goalscorer, should it?

Of course it isn't. It's a measure of the fact that there are about 80 qualifed managers applying for every single post that comes up.

He's lucky to be offered anything as is ANY boss currently out of work.

Only an idiot would sit at home playing Billy Big Bollox when nobody else is offering you work except "wee" Alloa.

Always easier to get another job when you're already in one.

Danny knows this full well which is one of the reasons I like him.

Well that's a bizarre misinterpretation of my post, but coming from you not entirely unexpected.

Yeah, a lot of his signings weren't great, granted. But he left us in a better state than he found us and in a better state than any St. Mirren manager in your lifetime or mine. He wasn't without his faults but I challenge you to find a better manager at our club in the past 15-20 years.

It was widely accepted in the summer that the midfield was generally not needing touched, even with the loss of McGowan and the termination of Harkins. Everyone, but everyone pinpointed that we needed at least two centre half and one striker as an absolute priority and the rest could be filled in as and when they were needed. This didn't happen adequately. Not even close.

Danny Lennon didn't f**k us up, he left a decent enough infrastructure where his management was getting decent and consistent performances out of Naismith, Kelly, McLean and McGinn....four of our own products, and a solid base built around good attacking options. We HAD to replace our aging and (historically - though not for us granted) injury-prone 35 year old centre forward and our stand-in holding midfielder at centre half (plus another as cover).

That didn't really happen. The focus was mainly on full-backs, wingers and attack midfielders. None of that was Danny Lennon's fault, was it? We did sign Callum Ball, but that really shoudn't have been the end of our search for a goalscorer, should it?

Pretty much nail in the head.

The willingness of some people to re-write history regarding Lennon never ceases to amaze me. Ultimately he did more good for the club than bad. As has been said before, while you can argue either way for the decision to get rid of him if you'd told most fans that the alternative was Tommy Craig the majority would have wanted Danny to stay.

Edited by Stu

I'm must be getting old.

Remember the dark days of the Lennon era...top league status,scoring goals, clean sheets, Home wins, 8th place finishes, a national trophy. f**ked us right up indeed.

But thanks to Stewart, Tommy and fans like TopCat who helped show him the door, it'll be years before we suffer that again. Gone are the dark days, hallelujah.

laugh.pnglaugh.pnglaugh.pnglaugh.pnglaugh.png

Listen TC, if your not going to cut down on the booze, we're gonnae have to take that phone

and computer off you...

Could a mod delete this before he wakes up, he's going to feel bad enough this morning..lol.gif

I hope Danny goes easy on us when we meet in the Two-Bob Training Cup next season. Imagine the embarrassment of the BoD if his Alloa side turn us over..?

Nice to see Ian Murray keeping his name in the frame for the saints job by taking yet another gubbing, very possible Danny could pull Alloa out of the drop zone to be replaced by that outstanding candidate to be next seasons manager and his side.

Edited by Lord Pityme

Ffs, Danny was not SACKED. His contract expiredand was not renewed. When that happens to a player do they say "He was sacked?" No, they always say that he is free to find a new club as his contract has expired or the club is attempting to resign etc.

There is huge difference in being sacked and contract ending. The former involves compensation and the latter doesn't. Wish people in the media would grasp that and some of our players partly responsible for Danny not having his contract renewed.

Yeah that first Cup win since 1987 and that 8th place finish (also the best since the 80's) seriously f**ked us up :lol

I think the main issue is with the money he wasted on some awful signings. Alex Smith won a bigger cup in 87 and look how bad we became the following season. If Danny was that good the Board would have given him a new contract.

I think the main issue is with the money he wasted on some awful signings. Alex Smith won a bigger cup in 87 and look how bad we became the following season. If Danny was that good the Board would have given him a new contract.

I was a youngster back then but how much of the team was Smith's and how much was Miller's?

Good luck to Lennon, with the usual exception, but landing at Alloa is the real measure of his tenure with us.

I'll join in a round of applause when he arrives at GHR next season but then it'll be time to get into him and his waspy basturds.

Would you say that winding up in the third division is a measure of Gus's tenure with us?

We've gone from an 8th place finish to being 7-10 points adrift before the split.

Replacing Lennon with Craig.... "catastrophic" doesn't quite cover it.

We'll never know where we would be now if he had been given a new contract, and we may have more than a few years in the lower leagues to mull that over.

What we can say though is that, of the parties involved (the board, the fans braying at them for change, TC, DL) Danny's the only one who has come out the other side with a smile on his face and reputation intact.

Edited by Julian Banjos

Danny Lennon would not have had us sitting on 21 points at this stage of the season. Last year Kello, Naismith, McAusland, Goodwin, Kelly, McLean, McGinn, Thompson, Wylde were all regulars in the starting XI and with 6 games left we need to win 6 in a row and almost double our points tally for the season to get as many points as we had last year in a disappointing season under DL.

I think the main issue is probably that the board felt that with Dundee, Hamilton, Ross and a pile of others in our division, that they could risk some reasonably easy cost cutting to keep us on an even keel. That would have been very wise given that we had lost Hibs and Hearts as well as Sevco and would likely suffer losses as a result of lower crowds. This was a perfectly sound and reasonable approach and I would have supported it.

They should have been able to get away with it.

The problem was with what happened after that.

At the start of the season not one of us expected us to be adrift with players giving up without a fight.

I think the main issue is probably that the board felt that with Dundee, Hamilton, Ross and a pile of others in our division, that they could risk some reasonably easy cost cutting to keep us on an even keel. That would have been very wise given that we had lost Hibs and Hearts as well as Sevco and would likely suffer losses as a result of lower crowds. This was a perfectly sound and reasonable approach and I would have supported it.

They should have been able to get away with it.

The problem was with what happened after that.

At the start of the season not one of us expected us to be adrift with players giving up without a fight.

NO, NO, NO!

The problem was HOW they decided to cost cut.

Putting Tommy Craig into place with a long term deal was the zero point in our disastrous season.

Compound the appointment of a failed manager with appointing untested assistants and it's no wonder our expectations weren't realised.

For as long as I can remember, Saints have taken the cheap option when it comes to managers. Jimi Clunie leaves - appoint the physio, Miller leaves - get the Stirling Albion manager, right down to when we went from Hendrie to appointing his assistant, then his assistant, then a lower league manager, then his assistant, then his assistant...

Lennon took over from McPherson because the board wanted to cut costs, look to lower divisions for players, bring through youth. We initially did look to lower leagues, with little success - McGregor possibly the only one to come up and flourish. We then brought in Thompson and Teale the next summer. A bit more money being spent, with the result that we played nicer football, got some decent results, got closer to the top 6, and eventually won a cup. Still struggled in the league as these two got older, and because it takes more than two class players to make a club into a better team on a consistent basis.

We then took to cutting costs again, probably in part due to Rangers demise. We're now seeing the result of this latest cost-cutting exercise. We're still paying the (assistant) manager we brought in to replace Lennon, while also paying for that guy's replacement. We've paid off a couple of his disastrous acquisitions, while unable to shift the rest (apart from the loanees who were sent back).

At this point we have our 4th assistant manager promotion out of the last 5 managers appointed. We were told we had dozens of applicants - surely there must have been an actual manager among that lot? Why not give an actual manager a go?

What do we expect when we continually go for the cheap option, then when we get some success, it's not enough for the fans? We deserve all we get.

Edited by Soctty

Sorry, forgot to mention Lennon...

Good young manager, won us a cup, got us our highest position and points tally in over quarter of a century. Not enough for some who were willing to gamble on us appointing a better man for the job - will we ever learn?

Excellent point about Thompson and Teale being great signings 3 seasons ago. It should have been a top priority last summer to replace those two (and Goodwin) as they reached the end of their SPL shelf life and bring in some new influential older players instead of promoting players from the youth team and taking a punt on players stepping up from lower leagues.