We Will Be Back

At least a second team has the chance now to have a real go at promotion but it wont be us next season.

The crowds will be lower and the budget slashed.

So you think the team is bad now , I have news for you as you aint seen nothing yet.

This is not an angry spit the dummy out post. This will be the truth make no mistake

A wee bit more to it than that. Months and months of posts seemingly unwilling to admit there are any problems.

Anyway, it made you bite...

Lots of problems, but I couldnae be arsed abusing anybody.

Was that what I was supposed to do ?

As I said, I;ve done that over the decades.

Waste of energy.

Still living off 2013 and I will forevermore.

St Mirren will still be here when we are all gone.

Enjoy it if you can.

Edited by shull

Lots of problems, but I couldnae be arsed abusing anybody.

Was that what I was supposed to do ?

As I said, I;ve done that over the decades.

Waste of energy.

Still living off 2013 and I will forevermore.

St Mirren will still be here when we are all gone.

Enjoy it if you can.

Difficult tonight shull, difficult :-(

At least a second team has the chance now to have a real go at promotion but it wont be us next season.

The crowds will be lower and the budget slashed.

So you think the team is bad now , I have news for you as you aint seen nothing yet.

This is not an angry spit the dummy out post. This will be the truth make no mistake

I'm listening. Tell us more.

Its quite sobering to realise that we've found our level on the basis that we can't compete with the likes of Hamilton, Dundee, Ross County, and Partick Thistle.

Ooft!

ETA: should have added that we are all but relegated prior to the split from a league missing Rangers, Hearts, and Hibs.

To borrow a phrase from Edwyn Collins.... rip it up and start again.

Edited by Drew

According to Chic we are in debt.

We had to sell MCLean to accommodate wages , that is a bad bad place to be, when the payrol is at risk , that's indicative of significant problems with cash flow and both fixed and variable costs.

Frankly, some stories are requiring of an explanation.

It has happened periodically over the past few years.

I know of at least one occasion where money we were due from the SPL paid the players wages, much in the same way that the McLean sale did.

It's part and parcel of not being able to get bank loans, combined with having no funds put by for a rainy day.

How often has Chick Young been the bastion of all knowledge when it comes to St.Mirren? I shall wait to see what transgresses over the next couple of onths before I dive head first in to the knickerwetting debt patter.

As far as I know it's true.

I posted after the McLean sale that we had cash flow problems and that's why we had to sell him.

The only way forward is fan ownership, there are no rich St Mirren minded business men waiting in the wings with an offer. The current BOD will be forced to reduce the asking price now that we are going down to the championship. It's just the question of trying to sort out a certain element amongst our support who would start a fight in an empty room rather than see things go through for the good of the club.

Hearts and Hibs were the two worst teams in the league last season (even if you give Hearts back the 15 points) so what makes you think that they would automatically be strong teams in the top flight? Rangers died and there is nobody, never mind a whole league, missing them. TCFKAR are on a par with Hibs this season, so my previous point would apply to them also.

Dundee are a bigger club than us as are, arguably, Partick. Ross County have a money-man and Hamilton have been able to sell young players for big money. When you add them to TCFKAR, Celtic, Hibs, Hearts, Dundee Utd and Aberdeen, who are all bigger clubs than us, that's ten clubs who are bigger or better off than us for one reason or another. I would also say that Motherwell are a bigger club than us, but not to the same degree. So that's 11. That leaves one place (two or three places if the money-man dies or Hamilton stop producing players) in the top flight to be fought over by the likes of ourselves, Kilmarnock, St Johnstone, Falkirk, etc, who are all of a similar size. We have no right to be in the top flight and, for our size and income, do reasonably well.

Is it nice to get relegated? No, of course it's not but until we can fill the stadium every second week or get a money-man of our own, we are going to go through periods of ups and downs and being out of the top flight for periods is inevitable.

Sensible post alert!

Hearts and Hibs were the two worst teams in the league last season (even if you give Hearts back the 15 points) so what makes you think that they would automatically be strong teams in the top flight? Rangers died and there is nobody, never mind a whole league, missing them. TCFKAR are on a par with Hibs this season, so my previous point would apply to them also.

Dundee are a bigger club than us as are, arguably, Partick. Ross County have a money-man and Hamilton have been able to sell young players for big money. When you add them to TCFKAR, Celtic, Hibs, Hearts, Dundee Utd and Aberdeen, who are all bigger clubs than us, that's ten clubs who are bigger or better off than us for one reason or another. I would also say that Motherwell are a bigger club than us, but not to the same degree. So that's 11. That leaves one place (two or three places if the money-man dies or Hamilton stop producing players) in the top flight to be fought over by the likes of ourselves, Kilmarnock, St Johnstone, Falkirk, etc, who are all of a similar size. We have no right to be in the top flight and, for our size and income, do reasonably well.

Is it nice to get relegated? No, of course it's not but until we can fill the stadium every second week or get a money-man of our own, we are going to go through periods of ups and downs and being out of the top flight for periods is inevitable.

You have completely missed the point.

We were favourites for relegation from the championship fka the first division yet we won it scoring a barrowload on the way. With a manager who knows the Market and a club structure suited to our needs then there is no reason we can't come back up. Someone in the mould of John Hughes who has had his critics but he clearly knows how to blend players together. The guy barraclough at Motherwell has worked miracles when they looked doomed . There must be someone out there. I'm just worried that when Teale goes we will continue our obsession of promoting from within and appoint Longwell who has done wonders with the younger lads but won't have enough experience for a club of our size and expectation. We could come back from this a lot stronger and wiser but only if the right people have learned the right lessons.

So, what's the point you were trying to make?

I was suggesting that we might normally expect ourselves to be competing with these clubs, not routinely defeating them, or being 'bigger' than them (whatever the f**k that means). I wrote that it is 'sobering' to have found ourselves in the position that we clearly cannot compete with them.

Regardless of the fall from grace of Hearts and Hibs, and the demise of Rangers, I don't think that it is remotely unreasonable to operate on the basis that they are big hitters who are missing from the scene. All other things being equal, we might expect to capitalise on this, as some of our counterparts have. Would you suggest that the current league is a tougher, more competitive one than we joined last time round?

ETA: perhaps you didn't entirely miss my point, more misconstrued it.

Edited by Drew

As a club we belong between the bottom half of the top flight and the top half of the second flight. That's where we've spent the vast majority of our history and where we will spend the vast majority of our future. If we are overachieving we get in the top half of the top flight, if we are struggling we will be in the bottom half of the second flight. Both of those events are rare though, we are what we are.

In the mid 70's Arbroath and Montrose finished above us. In the early 90's Airdrieonians relegated us. In the mid 90's even Morton finished above us! On the flip side we have finished above Hearts, Hibs and Aberdeen several times in recent years.

These kind of fluctuations of smaller clubs finishing above bigger ones happen, they've always happened and they will continue to happen. No one has a divine right to finish above anyone. There's always a regression to the mean though. The sense of entitlement displayed by some on here is way off I'm afraid.