Immediate Clear Out & Rebuilding

This is a critical time for some leadership finally to be shown by our board.

I don't think St Mirren fans have any expectation of a winning team or believe we have a divine right to be at the top. I remember how we got behind the team during Tom Hendrie's SPL season, cheering them off the park after 0-5 and 1-7 results to bigger sides. We do expect a bit of fight though! Where the hell has that gone?

As we have learned in the past dropping down a league is not easy. Never mind not coming straight back up, there is every chance the current bunch would actually head straight to League 1.

Time to build a squad that will bring us back up, with some young players that the fans can get behind.

Where to begin? I'd release / sack everyone except Thompson, Mallan and McLear.

Appoint Ian Murray as manager.

Start rebuilding tomorrow.

I don't really fancy going to any of the remaining games this season. Not because I have given up or don't love the club, more that I don't have any notion of seeing these sorry wasters don a St. Mirren shirt again, it's an affront to allow this shite to continue to represent the club. Why should we continue lending our support to a bunch of wasters who clearly don't give a toss about the situation? They'll be gone in the summer, I'll be back then.

Not sure about any of them to be honest. Mallan did show promise and maybe playing in the middle of the worst Saints midfield in a long time has hindered his progress but McLear showed very little when given his chance.

As far as Thommo goes, something stinks in my opinion. Passed over in favour of Goodwin and Teale at the start of the season, not starting in make or break games when claiming to be fit and displaying none of the characteristics of leadership whenever the armband did come his way. I don't think there's any doubt that a fit Thommo would be an asset in the Championship but his attitude needs to be right or he can go with the rest of them.

Not sure about any of them to be honest. Mallan did show promise and maybe playing in the middle of the worst Saints midfield in a long time has hindered his progress but McLear showed very little when given his chance.

As far as Thommo goes, something stinks in my opinion. Passed over in favour of Goodwin and Teale at the start of the season, not starting in make or break games when claiming to be fit and displaying none of the characteristics of leadership whenever the armband did come his way. I don't think there's any doubt that a fit Thommo would be an asset in the Championship but his attitude needs to be right or he can go with the rest of them.

I include McLear as he has just signed a three year deal. Thommo will score goals in the Championship. Mallan has great potential. As does McGinn but to all intents and purposes he left us at the end of last season.

There is a decent argument to just play the development squad for the the rest of the season so we don't need to see that sorry bunch wear the black and white ever again. However, the development squad have been getting pumped 5-0 a lot recently too. Something has gone wrong from top to bottom of the club.

Would keep Goodwin and Thompson on reduced contracts with have them as assistant managers ( let them go if they reject the terms ) , and appoint an experienced manager to mentor them , maybe Butcher or Nicholl , and then identify a three year plan to rebuild the club top to bottom.

I don,t think an exclusively youth policy is the way forward , and our starting line up should only contain a couple of under 21 players in it , with another 3 or 4 on the bench .

We need to create some enthusiasm and energy about the club , and the rebuilding process should start now .

I liked the way Inverness started pre season training very early one season and used the process to more or less recruit a whole team , an approach like that would help season ticket sales and bring about a bit of positivity to the club.

As would an energetic and ambitious set of new owners

Never mind the players, the biggest decision is the management team. We've got to get it right this time. Having a look at the lower leagues there is no-one jumping out at me as being an exciting potential manager. We may have to cast the net wider this time.

I include McLear as he has just signed a three year deal. Thommo will score goals in the Championship. Mallan has great potential. As does McGinn but to all intents and purposes he left us at the end of last season.

There is a decent argument to just play the development squad for the the rest of the season so we don't need to see that sorry bunch wear the black and white ever again. However, the development squad have been getting pumped 5-0 a lot recently too. Something has gone wrong from top to bottom of the club.

Kemp. Your having a laugh. Thommo will not score goals , the championship as demonstrated by the Scottish cup is full of teams far better than we are. Its not a step down mate, its a step up. We have won 6 games this year, thistle twice, county , Dundee and Hamilton, only team just in top six was St Johnstone. We have had 4 strikers, Thommo, Arquin, Marwood and Ball scoring 3 goals in 3500 mins of football. Lets get real here. We apt on coach who has a failed record as a manager then a player who has no record, going against Well and County with not only far better players but a Chairman who supports. Its a no contest and unless something dramatic happens we will be Dumferline all over again

The Championship is a step down, not up, and its absurd to state otherwise. Thommo will score goals there if not surrounded by diddies.

I agree the over reliance on youth is not helpful. It's great to bring through players like Mallan, McGinn and McLean but the youngsters need good players around them in order to develop. Having them next to Naismith, Kelly and Reilly helps nobody.

The Championship is a step down, not up, and its absurd to state otherwise. Thommo will score goals there if not surrounded by diddies.

I agree the over reliance on youth is not helpful. It's great to bring through players like Mallan, McGinn and McLean but the youngsters need good players around them in order to develop. Having them next to Naismith, Kelly and Reilly helps nobody.

I agree with all of the above but Sadlier must be retained.

Extremely harsh on the youngsters. The experienced players have been the biggest disappointment imo. With the exception of Tesselar and Goodwin. Too many players brought in and given a few games, then dumped over the last few years. Harkins being a prime example. I would exclude the youngsters from any blame.

Extremely harsh on the youngsters. The experienced players have been the biggest disappointment imo. With the exception of Tesselar and Goodwin. Too many players brought in and given a few games, then dumped over the last few years. Harkins being a prime example. I would exclude the youngsters from any blame.

I'm not generally one for rounding on individual players, but you can't tell me that the two young full-backs and McGinn haven't been desperately disappointing this season. The lads at the back (and Kelly when deployed in midfield) have looked completely out of their depth, when they should have been kicking on. McGinn seems to have chucked it.

There's no doubt that the hopeless coaching won't have helped, nor the apparent absence of any form of useful training.

Mallan clearly has potential (edit-as has Sandlier), but him aside? Meh.

Edited by Drew

I blame Harkins for a lot of the rot. Until then the pre-match training, apart from McQuade, was generally very professional. Then along came Harkins and Wylde to turn it in to a lark about that Reilly was all too happy to get on board with.

The board have made mistakes, a whole raft of them. But they also saved our club and gave us a new stadium and a training ground and brought us financial stability. Bottom line is we still have a team to support. These are not rich men, but guys who put their money where their heart and souls were. Ross County and Motherwell both have sugar daddies, and good luck to them, but we don't and I'm afraid that when the shit hits the fan in football its the fan who suffers. And that my friends is the only thing that keeps our wonderful club going. The fans. You and I. When you love something and it goes tits up you want to blame someone and have a big greet. No one died last night, although my liver did take a helluva pounding. There will still be a St Mirren next season and I'll be there, moaning and greetin as always. So will my kids, and so, some day, maybe, their kids will experience the unique pleasure and pain that is supporting our wonderful club and that is due to Messrs Gilmour, Campbell and McAusland. Have they got everything right, absolutely not, but they have got most things right and this season they have got a lot of things wrong. Shit happens. The championship beckons and our club need us more than ever so put the hankies away. Now, bring on the soapdodgers................

I'm not generally one for rounding on individual players, but you can't tell me that the two young full-backs and McGinn haven't been desperately disappointing this season. The lads at the back (and Kelly when deployed in midfield) have looked completely out of their depth, when they should have been kicking on. McGinn seems to have chucked it.

There's no doubt that the hopeless coaching won't have helped, nor the apparent absence of any form of useful training.

Mallan clearly has potential (edit-as has Sandlier), but him aside? Meh.

Re McGinn - I was very disappointed with him last night. I know he's young still, and has proved himself for us in the past to a degree, but his body language was screaming 'I'm on a PCA somewhere else, get me out of here and don't let me get injured.'

Of course, that's wild speculation, but it was painful to watch.

The board have made mistakes, a whole raft of them. But they also saved our club and gave us a new stadium and a training ground and brought us financial stability. Bottom line is we still have a team to support. These are not rich men, but guys who put their money where their heart and souls were. Ross County and Motherwell both have sugar daddies, and good luck to them, but we don't and I'm afraid that when the shit hits the fan in football its the fan who suffers. And that my friends is the only thing that keeps our wonderful club going. The fans. You and I. When you love something and it goes tits up you want to blame someone and have a big greet. No one died last night, although my liver did take a helluva pounding. There will still be a St Mirren next season and I'll be there, moaning and greetin as always. So will my kids, and so, some day, maybe, their kids will experience the unique pleasure and pain that is supporting our wonderful club and that is due to Messrs Gilmour, Campbell and McAusland. Have they got everything right, absolutely not, but they have got most things right and this season they have got a lot of things wrong. Shit happens. The championship beckons and our club need us more than ever so put the hankies away. Now, bring on the soapdodgers................

Why on earth do so many Saints fans want Morton to be more successful than they currently are? Leave them in League one, with the constant end of season drop in form and the moans from their board that they may go part time. Bring on Stranraer...

Re McGinn - I was very disappointed with him last night. I know he's young still, and has proved himself for us in the past to a degree, but his body language was screaming 'I'm on a PCA somewhere else, get me out of here and don't let me get injured.'

Of course, that's wild speculation, but it was painful to watch.

Six Hibs players were on PCA's and only told Butcher when he pulled them in at the end of the season. Feels very much like we have some players doing the same. It's either that or they're some of the worst players to ever pull on the stripes.

I think you have to appreciate that we need to get a few things out of our collective system before we can move on.

It is a bit like stages of bereavement. Denial, anger, loss etc.... You just have to work your way through it.

Don't be too harsh on us. We are brittle right now. Rational thought is still a way off. Personally, I'm at the incoherent muttering punctuated by bursts of stifled laughter and black rage phase.

I think you have to appreciate that we need to get a few things out of our collective system before we can move on.

It is a bit like stages of bereavement. Denial, anger, loss etc.... You just have to work your way through it.

Don't be too harsh on us. We are brittle right now. Rational thought is still a way off. Personally, I'm at the incoherent muttering punctuated by bursts of stifled laughter and black rage phase.

I'm at the 'moaning on a forum' stage. Why change the habits of a lifetime? Well, since someone invented the interweb thingy.

What utter tosh, and the reason we are going to Stranrear next year. Why do we have to feel blessed with this BOD, who may not be rich men but also have no clue how to run a club. Success is relative and for us Buddies that was 1926. 1959, 1987 and 2013. But our BOD sacked the 2013 success and replaced him with a cheap option, the sacked him replacing him with another cheap option. Is it £5 to get in? Do they do what Accies and Caley did to boost attendance. Did they lend support to Teale, no .

This is the kind of "this is the way it is" crap that stops Saints being a Caley or a St Johnstone. Its going to take relegation maybe two and what we are still grateful to the dicks that is our BOD.

Why on earth do so many Saints fans want Morton to be more successful than they currently are? Leave them in League one, with the constant end of season drop in form and the moans from their board that they may go part time. Bring on Stranraer...

i would rather play morton than Stranraer any day of the week

This is a critical time for some leadership finally to be shown by our board.

I don't think St Mirren fans have any expectation of a winning team or believe we have a divine right to be at the top. I remember how we got behind the team during Tom Hendrie's SPL season, cheering them off the park after 0-5 and 1-7 results to bigger sides. We do expect a bit of fight though! Where the hell has that gone?

As we have learned in the past dropping down a league is not easy. Never mind not coming straight back up, there is every chance the current bunch would actually head straight to League 1.

Time to build a squad that will bring us back up, with some young players that the fans can get behind.

Appoint Ian Murray as manager.

Start rebuilding tomorrow.

I agree, the remainder of the season,against decent opposition, should be viewed as the start of the pre season.